The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off on bombproofing thread...

Spin-off on bombproofing thread...

After reading the aforementioned thread and being reminded of how lucky I've been to have bombproof horses, I was thinking... who else has funny bombproof horse stories, from shows or daily life?

I'll start...

I was at a small local show with the now-retired appy. Kid comes up and starts playing around with him (Appy is amped and ready for his jumper rounds, not exactly the kind of mood that makes you want to be anywhere near him). The kid was asking all sorts of questions about him, and finally decided he wanted to see what horse teeth looked like... he pried open the poor horse's mouth and held it there for probably 2 minutes (Appy was known for being nippy when he was ready to go, and yet he didn't even wiggle his lips. ), before hugging him under his chest and between his front legs, then wandering off. Bombproof much? I think yes.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Taking my young horse to school xc at Frying Pan Park. Figured the place would be empty, as it was a school day and also a wee bit cloudy and rainy.

Get there, unload horse, and wait for friend to finish tacking up.

School bus arrives. Door opens, and out comes dozens of small children. Wearing bright pink or yellow rain jackets, boots, waving umbrellas and shouting PONEEEEE!!!! as they race towards us.

Horse never moved a muscle.

I'd like to think it was because of my top notch training skills. Honestly, the horse was probably in shock. I know I was.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I'd like to think it was because of my top notch training skills. Honestly, the horse was probably in shock. I know I was.
    That last part seriously made my day

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Attack of the neon children!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

A friend showed her horse in a Halloween show as a one-eyed, two-horned, flying purple people eater, complete with a 6' wing span. None of the other horses so much as turned a hair! I think all of them were embarrassed by the costumes they were wearing so were too preoccupied by that to be silly about another horse's costume.

Default I was thinking of this a few days ago

Wow is this thread fortuitous! I was just thinking that I needed a place to post a "real-life" bombproofing tale a few days ago when it happened!

My daughter vaults, and the vaulting barn has taken to covering the outdoor circles with 40x60 blue tarps as soon as it begins raining to attempt to cut down on the mud and keep the footing safer. The two circles are ADJACENT to each other.

The other day, it began raining and the club parents hustled out to cover the rings, complete with stakes and tires on top of the tarps. Then, it stopped raining and we were able to take up the tarp on one ring. The coach brought a horse out and began lunging.

The horse is cantering with kids doing their routines (including stands and jumps) on the horse's back WHILE the club parents are taking up a 40x60 blue crunchy tarp less than ten FEET away from the working horse.

Oh, how do we take them up? First, stand up and roll the tires away over the tarp. Then, several parents go UNDER the tarp, stand up and jump and shove to get the water channeled correctly while other parents grab the far corners and draaaaaaaag that blue crunchy tarp into a folded shape. (It takes about 5 people to fold these tarps in one go.)

I was thinking, now THAT is some bombproofing!

Well, here's one with a twist. My then 4 yo gelding, boarded in Maryland at the time. Barn included a healthy supply of both chickens and hogs. The latter are known to be of concern to equids, generally, but my guy went by them twice a day, to and from pasture, never even looking (actually all of the other horses were accustomed to them as well).

One fine day, a hot air balloon appears and, it soon becomes clear, is going to land in one of the two pastures. Pandemonium. Horses in pastures running to and fro, horses in stalls expressing alarm, everyone (but me) who is riding quickly dismounts from their wide eyed, snorting beasts. My gelding looks at the landing object, cocks his head as if to say 'hmmm, well, that's something you don't see every day,' and continues at a relatively decent working trot. So, what the heck, after pasture gate is opened so that the balloon chase car can get to balloon to refuel, I figure hey, I'll just mosey a little closer. At which point we pass a hog pen and a hog grunts. THAT, on the zillionth occurrence, gets my horse's head up and eyes wide and a little buckle of the knees (which was about the extent of his 'spooking' or misbehavior throughout his life). I about fell off laughing.

I have been riding in the pasture and heard a weird noise, looked around, nothing unusual. Hear it again and look up. oh, a hot air balloon right over us at tree top level.Another time, had my TB mare at the vet for lameness eval. A transformer had blown on a pole right at the end of the barn. Huge electric truck across end of barn maybe 6 feet from the door. We are in the aisle about 6 feet from the door. The truck is diesel and running rather loudly, and then the bucket started going up and down for repair of the transformer. The vet asked if we should move to the other end of the barn, nope I think she is ok. She stood perfectly still to have her leg blocked, then walk out the door right next to the truck and over to the ring to lunge her. Then back to the barn, for another block. My vet said I can see why you want to figure out what is going on, this is a good one.

My brother was about 4-5 at the time, and used to pay "london bridge" under my horse (mom caught him several times, punished him, but well.. young boys have no self preservation), the horse.. a yearling colt (QH) that while calm.. was not bombproof normally (by 5 he was though, and when my 4yo sister's pony proved to be too much.. she was the 4yo riding a 15.2hh horse lol). My brother also tried swinging by the colts tail and jumping on him like an "indian" (native american type in the westerns). And my mom bought had a heart attack when she found him (at 5am) in the pasture sitting on the colt.. thinking it was the colts mother.

Fastforward 25 years.. I made the mistake of running inside the barn to grab the fly spray, and my brother was talking to the barn owner, and we both turned at the same time to find my 4yo nephew... playing london bridge under the horse (3yo Arabian stallion, that was next to mares in heat..).

I just about fell over laughing because he was freaking out and I'm like.. hahaha.. every grandparents revenge.. That you have to parent a child just like you.

(my brother was the kid who got spiderman pajamas, and that night, jumped off his dresser onto the wall, thinking he would stick.. and climbed so high up a tree.. and got scared, and they had to call in a fire truck with the lift bucket thing to get him down.. my mom swears without clairol she'd have been grey by 25).

Thank God for guardian angels

(and actually, this sounds like my mom never payed attention.. she did.. she is actually a helicopter parent.. he was just always 3 steps ahead and 2 to the side for her... rotfl..)
    Last edited by smokygirl; Aug. 10, 2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling

We had a raccoon soap opera going on in our indoor this spring, when a couple of mothers decided to make their nests in the adjacent hayloft. Lots of loud screeching and rattling noises.

Mother raccoons carrying babies along overhead rafters, with accompanying cries of babies. This was repeated six times (once per baby).

Mother raccoons carrying babies along rafters and DROPPING babies by mistake while horses were being worked in the indoor.

This was repeated a couple of times as the mothers decided to change the location of the nest.

The last straw was two mothers fighting over the babies, one tugging at one leg of the baby, and the other tugging at the other. Much screeching from mothers and screaming from babies. Versions of this fight went on for a couple of days.

At this point, the horses were more interested in watching the drama than being scared.

The denouement--or was it the catharsis, I forget my high school English--was during a dressage schooling show in the spring, when one mother was hanging from the arena in gate. No problem for our horses. A bit of a problem for the horses from other barns.

A friend of mine decided she wanted to have pictures of herself on her horse in her wedding dress, on her wedding day. She is a level-headed, no-nonsense person, but this was important to her.
    Another friend and I trailer the horse to her house, in a small urban town in NJ. Unload in the street, walk him down a narrow alley, around a protruding air conditioner, into a tiny backyard. Bride emerges from house in her wedding dress. Normally a low-key dresser, she has a wedding dress right out of a Walt Disney princess movie--huge bell-shaped skirt, puffed sleeves, beads, pearls, big headdress with flowing veil, etc.http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...milies/eek.gif
    Horse, whose only experience is in the hunters, not in costume classes, does not bat an eye. We throw a clean sheet over him, get her up on him by lifting the skirts over him and letting them flow over his hindquarters. He is totally cool with all this.
    Photographer takes pics of her on horse, bridegroom (non-horsey) at head of horse, horse with entire wedding party in their assistant-to-the-princess dresses lined up next to him.
    Worse thing he did was try to munch on the flowers in her bouquet.http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...lies/smile.gif

Hot Air Balloons, gotta love them! One a few weeks ago clipped a power line on the farm and left us without electricity. I was at a friends next door and her horses were going mad. Called my landlord to find out if mine were ok and he was like, yeah as a matter of fact yours are just standing and watching. However mine are going mental. Why are yours good? Honestly, that would be my mare Stella. They all run to her for comfort and she is just so level headed in crisis situations. She is the best horse ever to have around.

Ladies, the stories of the costumes and children are priceless! I love the part of, well I'd like to think it was down to my superior training skills but we were both in shock!!!! That is great!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I used to board my horse near a small, private airport and one day a guy started dive bombing our arena while a friend and I were riding... A-hole. Our horses freaked at first, but eventually my old mare, who spooked at absolutely everything else, was completely "airplane proof."

I later heard that a guy flying a very similar sounds plane out of that airport got in a serious accident. I don't know if it was the same guy or not, but with the antics he used to pull, I wouldn't doubt it.

My young Irish horse seems pretty laid back, until I washed my hair and went to the barn with a green towel wrapped around my head. He was terrified and would not come near me for about three days. He appears to have forgiven me now, but it shows that the silliest things can set them off.

Motorcycles, hot air balloons and fireworks - meh, he's fine with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My young Irish horse seems pretty laid back, until I washed my hair and went to the barn with a green towel wrapped around my head. He was terrified and would not come near me for about three days. He appears to have forgiven me now, but it shows that the silliest things can set them off.

Motorcycles, hot air balloons and fireworks - meh, he's fine with them.
    That made my afternoon. I can just see my WB doing that!

These are great!!

When my gelding was being started last fall he had a few rides in the round pen (which was at the end of the indoor arena). After a few rides that trainer decided that he was doing well enough to take him in the big part of the indoor. Seconds after his butt hit the saddle the trainer’s neighbors kids flew by right next to the arena wall on a four-wheeler and two stroke motorcycle. You could tell that the trainer was trying to make the decision to bail or ride it out but amazingly my gelding didn’t even flick an ear towards them. He stood there with his foot cocked. We both burst out laughing because we expected this young green horse to react but he didn’t. Obviously he is going to be extremely bomb proof!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

How to sell a horse: put him in cross ties and as the potential buyer is having a look, in sneaks (literally) the stable manager's 5 year old son with his new radio controlled truck.

Oh yes, he showed us his prowess by whizzing around the horse, going between the legs. Occasionally he would hit the horse, the wall, us. I grabbed the gelding expecting the worst but he could care less. I did untie the cross ties so he could watch the truck go, but he didn't move a bit. Just kept craning his neck so he could keep the truck in sight. He enjoyed it.

The stable manager was mortified and about to go at his wayward son, but the prospective buyer became the buyer because what I said was true about this horse. Good horse too!

Love having a young kid in the barn. After a month, none of the horses could give an iota about bikes, planes, balls, scooters, yelling, running etc.
    Horse Feathers Farm