The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arabian Hunter Pleasure rider attire?

Hey Arabian people!

I was wondering if you could tell me what the appropriate RIDER attire is for Arabian/HA Hunter Pleasure classes (A rated shows). Please explain clothing and also any jewelry that is allowed. If yes to jewelry, what kind, where, etc? I have seen people wear large crystal earrings. Any pictures?

What about Sport Horse Under Saddle? How is the rider attire in those classes? Any different from hunters?

Also, do judges take away points from riders who are using an ASTM-SEI approved helmet over a traditional velveteen hunt cap?

No points off for the helmet, no glittered stripes or fun colors (pink, blue, purple, etc.) but other than that, wear it! They really do like safety, mostly...

Ok, so basically like normal show hunters, only more leniency (I seriously think I misspelled that) with jacket colors. Check out Show Season (the HOTTEST place to buy show clothes for Arab people, though sadly the most expensive) showseason.com I think, for ideas. But your normal jacket is more than fine! Show Season is just mainly for the nationals, and regionals, not normal shows.

As long as they aren't dangling hoops, your earrings should be ok! Don't get too gaudy, but don't sweat the little stuff. Always have hair neat and clean, and tucked away, and try to coordinate the color of the shirt under your jacket with your horse.

P.S. Don't forget for the horse- mane in a running braid, tail really should be braided at the top, and in hunter pleasure, a simple breastplate is reccomended, it adds something to the look, helps keep the saddle on those big ol' shoulders, and makes you look like you know the business. Almost everyone has one! As for braids, if you don't know how to do the running braid, ask someone, the Arab show world is the FRIENDLIEST place!

Sport horse under saddle, ok so the fun jackets aren't as fun here, stick to what you would normally wear in a regular hunter show, and breastplates, nah! Again, more for hunter pleasure. Same braids, and maybe a little more connection through the hands, more 'framey' (you already know most of this, I am just a bit type-A, but rather too much info than to little, eh?).

you can look at the rule book on the USEF site for specifcs

make sure that
    your coat is darker than your breeches,
    your coat is not silk etc but wool/wool blend
    no bright flashy earings
    no lapel pins

running braid or hunter braids is fine and in sport horse you see a lot of hunter braids

juniors must have an approved helmet

Thanks! I've been seeing so many people with these huge crystal earring studs instead of regular studs.

I am not a newbie to the show ring but needed to get the low-down on the things I see people wearing in my classes. I guess I am an old traditionalist. I've qualified my horse for regionals a few times but could never get the time off of work or the money to do it. I show by myself without a trainer (don't have that kind of money), but I do stable at an Arabian show barn around the corner from my house. When I show in the Hunter Pleasure classes at the A shows, I usually gather my pony tail hair at the top of my head (no bun out the back of the helmet like many do...) this stems back when I showed Hunter/Jumpers, where hair was to be under your helmet with none showing. I see so many riders in hunt caps with the bun in the back. It's kinda different to me but it is sort of growing on me I think. I have a superrrrrr dark navy jacket (and also a grey jacket) with a nice purple shirt - my mare is extremely fleabitten grey.

Here is a picture of us from this year showing in what I have for show attire. The jacket is RJ Classics, shirt is a long sleeve Essex coolmax (but you can't see it under my jacket), royal hunter Tailored Sportsmans breeches and Ariat Heritage 2 field boots: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7732622_n.jpg showing on the A circuit here in Region 16. This was right around the time she was showing signs of muscle wasting with EPM so she is super skinny here, sadly. No neurological issues, no lameness, just losing muscle. This was the last show we did this year due to it. We cut the others from our schedule.

I pulled her mane in the winter so I had to hunter braid her mane. I am letting it grow back long so we can go back to doing running braids again. :X

Well, if you're in Region 16 (and I recognize the Big E Coliseum in the photo), you must stop by next time you're there!

I'll probably be with Sedgewood. Little grey stallion. (If I can afford to show next year.)

And your turnout looks quite nice!
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Your turnout looks fine to me (but I'm not fully up on the latest styles - I was too busy noticing lame horses who were placing because the judges were looking at straightaways and you only saw the major limping on corners!), but I would work on attitude, if that's how you normally ride.

Think of the most conceited person you know, and go in there thinking about channeling that person. Because you're not, it'll up your apparent confidence without looking cocky - instead, it'll project an "I am the best out here. Period" attitude. Breed shows more than elsewhere, if there are horses of similar talent, the rider who is going around like she's on top of the world's best horse will be noticed, and therefore have a better shot at winning/placing well if it's deserved.

The one thing I would check on is bits - I'm not sure what's typically used, but don't remember seeing pelhams at the show I was at with national champion-types. I would NOT vouch for that being a totally accurate statement, though - anyone with more knowledge care to give input?

Good luck - and have fun!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Agreed, definitely! Look where ya going! An Arab judge once emphasized that, so it really is true!

I am pretty sure pelhams are allowed.. Hmm,,, never used on on an Arab in hunter pleasure... But I am pretty sure they are allowed. Ok , look it up please, I don't wanna have said, "oh it's fine!" and it not be allowed! 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by AllForShow(s) View Post
    I am pretty sure pelhams are allowed.. Hmm,,, never used on on an Arab in hunter pleasure... But I am pretty sure they are allowed. Ok , look it up please, I don't wanna have said, "oh it's fine!" and it not be allowed! 0_o
    Just like the D in the hunter ring, IF he's happy with other bits, too, and IF it's "out of style" I would suggest changing even if it is allowed. But if it's allowed and changing would affect his performace, I personally would make the choice to stick with it! (I used to have a horse who had to have some sort of curb present in her mouth. I never had to use it, but if she didn't have a pelham for hunter work, she'd stick her nose on her chest and take off rodeo bucking.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I've seen horses place well in HP in a pelham.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

pelhams are fine and you see lots of kimberwicks to, I use a pelham for showing and a snaffle for schooling

your turnout looks great

I will admit I am still aiming to get back to the A shows (whole money bit) but I like to keep an eye out on recent pics and video from Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Well, if you're in Region 16 (and I recognize the Big E Coliseum in the photo), you must stop by next time you're there!

I'll probably be with Sedgewood. Little grey stallion. (If I can afford to show next year.)

And your turnout looks quite nice!
    Ghazzu, what's your name? I wonder if I know you. I ride with Double A but I do my own thing (I trained my own horse so I show alone). I'll be at HV, AHCC and AHANE next year most likely. Maybe CRAA. I just resigned as Secretary on the board of directors for that club. I am also the Arabian columnist for the horsemen's Yankee pedlar magazine.

Thanks guys, and yes, a Pelham is allowed, as is a kimberwicke and snaffles etc. Gags or elevators are not allowed.