The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Full Training and Show Fees?

What is the policy at your barn with regards to full training/full care and show fees?

If you pay a monthly training or full care fee that includes: lessons, training rides, grooming/products, do you receive any credit from that towards shows?

If you are at an away show for say, 2 weeks of the month, do you pay your entire month's training bill plus your trainer's day rate for every day of the show (14 in this case)?

If you are paying for monthly training that includes say: 3 lessons and 1 training ride/week, but you are showing for the week, that does equal a credit for say 2 days show fee or something?

I guess my main question is: you are not receiving the lessons/rides that you are paying for at home, but are getting coaching or rides at the show, how does this balance out? Thanks!!

well, at least the show barns I know of and have been at, you pay monthly and pay separately at a show. Thats how trainers make their money, with the showing clients. They dont make money with suzy who keeps her horse at home all year and takes a weekly lesson.

Um, that wasn't my question.
    It was specifically for people who DO show.
    My question was if you are away for many weeks, and paying for full care which includes a full lesson and riding package, do you receive credit for a portion of those lessons and rides that you are now taking at the horse show instead of at home. I am certainly not suggesting that the trainer does not get paid at shows.

No, you don't receive credit. At least not at any barn I've ever heard of. Heck, when I used to train my own horse out of a basic boarding barn, I'd go to shows for 3-7 days at a time and have to BUY my grain and hay from the BO to take with me. Even though if my horse were home he'd be eating it...

Not fair? Nope, it's not.

The way it is? Yep, it is.

Not usually, no.

And the first responder DID answer your question:

well, at least the show barns I know of and have been at, you pay monthly and pay separately at a show.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageOverFences View Post
    They dont make money with suzy who keeps her horse at home all year and takes a weekly lesson.
    This is the part I was referring to, I definitely am not asking about that type of person.

I am asking because I have been at barns that did both and was curious. More specifically, ones where you paid for lessons/rides that you received at home, then a day fee plus a fee for classes the trainer did on your horse plus a grooming fee if you didn't do your own at shows. You did not pay for lessons/rides when at shows, just the day fees/ride fees incurred at that show. If you were on a full training monthly fee, then you received a credit for a portion of the show fees.

No credit. You pay your regular training board bill and a show bill.

Definitely have always paid full board bill when showing away, just curious about the training.
    I guess at some barns, 'training board' is one bill. Have always paid board and training separately.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    No, you don't receive credit. At least not at any barn I've ever heard of. Heck, when I used to train my own horse out of a basic boarding barn, I'd go to shows for 3-7 days at a time and have to BUY my grain and hay from the BO to take with me. Even though if my horse were home he'd be eating it...
    That would make me absolutely nuts and I would find another barn. I realize an "AA" show barn is a different creature, and as such you will get charged for splits on feed at a show, but if you can afford the barn, the feed is probably not an issue. At a basic barn where I was on my own for a show, I would have major issue being charged for feed that my horse would be consuming if he were at home. Not to mention the money BO is saving by not having Dobbin there for a week at a time.

To the OP - yeah, you're paying the trainer day fee and not getting credit for the rides you're not getting at home. Question - is eveyone at the show also on full training at home? Does your barn have an option for less than full training at home? Maybe you're paying less for the day fee than the non-full training clients? Or if you were not getting charged a day fee at the show, you might be charged more for the month in general.

I promise - it made sense in my head, not so much when I put it on screen... For example, my barn has some people not on full training at home. I pay a reduced day rate at the show from those people, since I am a full training client.

Yep...

When my horse is away at a show, I pay board & training as usual PLUS day care for the show, shared expenses, etc.

It took me a while to get over the fact that I was paying twice. But that seems to be the way it is, so I grin and bear it... and open my wallet.

I know one trainer who charges clients one flat monthly fee, period. No extra bills for lessons, horse care, or pro rides at shows. Client is responsible for trailering and the show expenses.

His monthly bill when last I checked it was $3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    That would make me absolutely nuts and I would find another barn. I realize an "AA" show barn is a different creature, and as such you will get charged for splits on feed at a show, but if you can afford the barn, the feed is probably not an issue. At a basic barn where I was on my own for a show, I would have major issue being charged for feed that my horse would be consuming if he were at home. Not to mention the money BO is saving by not having Dobbin there for a week at a time.

To the OP - yeah, you're paying the trainer day fee and not getting credit for the rides you're not getting at home. Question - is eveyone at the show also on full training at home? Does your barn have an option for less than full training at home? Maybe you're paying less for the day fee than the non-full training clients? Or if you were not getting charged a day fee at the show, you might be charged more for the month in general.

I promise - it made sense in my head, not so much when I put it on screen... For example, my barn has some people not on full training at home. I pay a reduced day rate at the show from those people, since I am a full training client.
    Thanks! This is interesting. I think there are full care and full training which are different costs, I wonder if they are different show fees? It would be fair I think if the clients who are paying more at home pay a slightly lower day rate at shows. Again, I'm not asking in a negative way, just curious because it seems to be slightly different at each barn.

It is pretty unfair though that you pay for some rides and lessons essentially twice, but that's just how it is of course in the show world.

Oh, and PS, totally agree with your first comment: If you are not at a show barn, you should be allowed to take feed for days you are away if you are showing on your own!!

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I know one trainer who charges clients one flat monthly fee, period. No extra bills for lessons, horse care, or pro rides at shows. Client is responsible for trailering and the show expenses.

His monthly bill when last I checked it was $3,000.
    If that was in Westchester County, NY in the last 7 or 8 years, I'd say this barn was a great deal.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

no, no splitting full training/board if away at shows. I think it would get too confusing and complicated that way, to try and prorate or whatnot.

My trainer does not charge for lessons at shows, its basically just her day fee, plus grooming (if you elect to do grooming) and then splitting the tack stall, set up fees, etc.

This is why I only do full training in the winter/non show months. Though I only do full training for muscle building so my trainer doesn't ride. He lunges in themornings and I hack most evenings with my normal three lessons a week.

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Um, that wasn't my question.
    It was specifically for people who DO show.
    My question was if you are away for many weeks, and paying for full care which includes a full lesson and riding package, do you receive credit for a portion of those lessons and rides that you are now taking at the horse show instead of at home. I am certainly not suggesting that the trainer does not get paid at shows.
    No credit when in full training and going to shows, in my experience. I did have one trainer who would only charge full training clients for partial training for a month if she was gone for most of the month

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    If you are at an away show for say, 2 weeks of the month, do you pay your entire month's training bill plus your trainer's day rate for every day of the show (14 in this case)?
    That one.

My monthly training fee includes 6 days a week of any combination of training rides and/or lessons. It's up to me.

There are discounts. One I can think of...if I send a horse for just pro days (i.e., I'm not riding that horse in the amy divisions), I get charged half of the day fees for the remainder of the week that the horse is not showing.

I agree w/ the premise of this question and there was a similar thread about it not too long ago. There are a few trainers out there who do include some show expenses as part of a training program. Much of it depends on the individual facility. But there is no getting around that many who show regularly are getting charged and paying for duplicate services.

For us it depends on how long the show is! For weekend shows we pay for both and then do make-up lessons when we get back or before we go, for multiple week shows we pay the all the show training fees but my trainer doesn't charge us for the lessons and training we are missing at home (too hard to make up multiple weeks of missed lessons and training rides). We also don't get charged for horses food at shows...we take as much as we can with us! LOVE my barn
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Not H/J, but ASB. At a show I pay a split of hotel, meals, fuel, tack stall and grooms (no day fee per se), plus my horse's expenses (entries, stall, bedding, office fee, etc.), but no feed as it comes from home. I don't get charged (or credited) for "training rides" or lessons, because my horse is in full training-the trainer rides, drives or long-lines horse as necessary. I only ride once a week anyway. I still pay the entire board/training bill as if the horse were at home the whole time.