The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tragic Barn Fire in Arlington, WA

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127343798.html

Dutch Mills Farm in Arlington, WA, had a terrible fire -- this article mentions 5 horses died but I have read elsewhere that a 6th was euthanized later and another is not doing very well. The cause has yet to be determined, but the news mentions new hay had just been brought in so that sure made me wonder... The photo tells the story as the barn was right there next to the now barely-standing arena and is just ... gone... Absolutely tragic.

God it's a bad week. Yesterday, barn fire in Magnolia, TX (near Houston), 14 horses dead, 14 got out, some with minor burns and smoke inhalation. Every horse owners worst nightmare.

God rest all of their souls.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

My heart goes out to Helga and Jason and everyone who lost their horses. I can't even imagine what they are going through right now. They had just built that facility within the last 5-6 years IIRC, and from the photos it was beautiful. I never got to see it in person before I moved away.

I also read somewhere (FB?) that Helga and Jason's father sustained some pretty bad burns trying to save the horses.

Is it just me or has it been a bad, bad year for fires? So sad Jingling for everyone who has suffered.

Another one? Very sorry for the owners of the horses in this barn too.

Every barn owner needs to review their fire risks. What a horrible way for a horse to go.