The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default REUSING Horse Registration

Dumb question here but....
    Is it illegal to reuse a horse registration. Recently brought to my attention at a show that a person is showing a new horse with an old horses (retired show horse that this person used to own) name and registration number. Is this against the rules? If so, how do they prove - old coggins pictures? I guess if it's two plain bays probably hard to prove.. LOL
    Just wondering though, I guess they are only getting around paying for the registration fee by using the old horse's lifetime membership... Farm is known for it's less than ethical show record... LOL

NOT legal...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Totally not cool to do that.

Definitely not legal. Bring it to the stewards' attention. They can probably look at the age of the registered horse and compare it to a vet's opinion of the horse showing under that name.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Not only illegal, but ridiculously tacky!

Yes if I see it again I will have to bring it to the attention of a steward. Totally tacky and I really don't see why. I mean to save $200 for the lifetime membership. The horse shows frequently so they are spending more in entries..... Just a classic move from a generally low class barn with a trainer who promotes cheating....

So not cool but despite being illegal what will going to the stewards do? Nothing because you have no hard proof. That's why I love it here.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

That's why the USEF is such a joke in my opinion... There are all these rules and no way of enforcing them. What's the point of the rules... It will be interesting if they start doing this young horse in green hunter divisions, then they willl more clearly be breaking the rules as the registration number they are using is of a horse that did the big eq, junior and amateur owner hunters.... soooooo no green eligibility.......

If both were their horses? Not sure it would be anything unless they try to sell it under the other ones show record, then it would be fraud. Unethical, sure. Illegal? Maybe not unless they try to sell it.

If they are entering under the previous name??? What is the advantage of doing that? Are they piling points on top of the other record for some reason?

It is against USEF rules but they are not law enforcement and have few investigative resources beyond member input. Speak to the steward...maybe you would not have to file a formal protest-but you would need proof.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.