The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kentucky: Super-cute, sound, 12yo Paint/TB mare free to a loving home (Pics/Video)

Although it breaks my heart, it's the right thing to do: I need to rehome my mare.

This video was taken on August 9, 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfrA6XkcSY

And here are some photographs:

Photo Gallery

This 12-year-old mare is a registered (APHA/PtHA) Paint/TB who stands at about 16.0 hands. She has a useful build: full bodied with good bone and decent feet. I have owned her for five years and she is physically tough and sound. Her tobiano markings are very flashy, when she is working correctly the coloring of her tail and hind end really accentuate her movement. She has been used as a model for Horse Illustrated and Horses USA magazines.

Under saddle she has been used for lower-level eventing, trail riding, and dressage (but honestly dressage is not her cup of tea). She hasn't been schooled over fences much in the last few years other than the occasional pop over a crossrail, but that is because of me, not her: she is sound to jump. She is sane but sensitive and has a lot of go, so she would do best with a rider who has enough experience and ability to “stay zen” and positively redirect her energy. She loves to hack out and jump and basically do anything fun, and she is the kind of horse who could be worked 8 days a week. She could potentially be a good hilltopper or serious trail horse. As of July 1 the mare has been in full training with a professional. She is located about 20 minutes from the Kentucky Horse Park.

The mare does have a few special management requirements, but the pain-in-the-neck factor really just depends on your facility. She has moderate allergies that are easily controlled with environmental measures and rarely require medication if she is managed appropriately. The main offender is dust mites, so obviously dusty barns or round bales don't work for her (I keep her in a well-ventilated, matted barn and feed her soaked timothy and she does fine). I have her on allergy shots (she doesn't blink an eye for them) and I am willing to cover the costs of them for up to a year as well as a follow-up visit from her vet to make sure the regimen is on track. Beyond that time frame I do not believe any suggested regimens would break the bank, but since I started her on this one I think it is fair that I cover the costs to finish it.

Her other management need is that since she has so much nonpigmented skin her sun exposure must be closely monitored during the growing season. She can stay out 24/7 during the winter, but when the sun is intense I use a combination of night turnout, sunscreen, and fly gear and she does fine. This is a necessary, not optional, aspect of her management and is why she is free. Her fly gear will go with her to her new home.

I know this mare's whole history (her previous owner bought her from the breeder) and she's always received good care, always UTD on everything. She can be turned out with a variety of horses and generally falls somewhere near the middle or bottom of the pack and tries to stay out of the way. She maintains her weight easily. Depending on what she will be used for and what the footing is like, she could potentially go barefoot (she has front shoes now). Good for the vet, farrier, trailering, crossties.

Approved home only. In exchange I offer full disclosure and copies of all veterinary records I have. I will do everything I can to ensure the match will be successful for all parties involved.

Thanks for looking!

Sent you a PM

Hey Folks,

I am working my way through a few different inquiries right now. So if you're waiting to hear from me, I'll get to you!