The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default explain pro status to me.

2 questions.
    there is threads about ammy status and i understand what that entails and means.
    but what i would like to know is,besides yrs of experience and the getting paid for services done by pro..
    1)what else makes you considered to be/or have pro status?
    and
    2) if you have received money for things in the past(6+yrs ago),but don't anymore,are you now considered an ammy not a pro.

if there's something i can read about this topic,don't hesitate to point it out to me.

You're Canadian? I think your ammy rule is different than USEF, so I will not hazard a guess --

For the USEF rule, see GR1306 in http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBo...neralrules.pdf --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Pro earns money, ammy does not. After that basic it gets pretty deep! Not all pros are good nor all ammys not so good!

Answer to question 1, in the US you apply for a pro card through the USEF. Anyone can have a pro card if they choose to do so, you don't have to have "years of experience" or get paid to have a pro card.

#2 You have to go 1 year without payment to apply for an ammy card, again USEF rules not Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey97 View Post
    Answer to question 1, in the US you apply for a pro card through the USEF. Anyone can have a pro card if they choose to do so, you don't have to have "years of experience" or get paid to have a pro card.

#2 You have to go 1 year without payment to apply for an ammy card, again USEF rules not Canadian.
    And by "apply for" she means, "check the right box."

There are no requirements for being a pro. There's just a lot of requirements for being an ammy. And if you aren't an ammy, you're a pro. (Or a junior, who is always a junior no matter what they do.)

But this is all the the US. I don't know about Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

In Canada it's similar, if you take any $ for training, riding, giving lessons, selling horses etc, you are considered a "pro". Doesn't really have much to do with actually being at a super high level of riding.

I don't know how long the "wait" period is for those that want to go from "pro" back to "ammy". It's a year or maybe more. Equine Canada's rulebook should have it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

There are absolutly NO requirements for being a professional...Simply send the USEF a check for $50 and wammo....Now your a professional. Heck, you never even have had to sit on a horse. For that matter you can have a 3 month old baby...open up a checking account in his/her name, send the USEF their $50 and you now have a 3 month old PROFESSIONAL that is still a toddlar.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    ...you now have a 3 month old PROFESSIONAL that is still a toddlar.
    Actually, this goes against the ONE rule about being a pro -- juniors (and I assume this means toddlers) can't be pros
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.