The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seizure in dogs?

Hi, my BF's min pin(which is more like mine) had an episode Sunday night and had to go to the Small Animal Emergency! What happened is we were on the deck, just sitting around like we do every night, I unclipped the dog from her tie out and she fell over onto her side, her legs went up in the air and her eyes rolled back into her head. I got very scared, my friend he held her and put water on her. She felt very hot and she could not stand. I got on the phone trying to find an emergency vet. One I talked to had Pneumonia(sp) so he suggested I take her to MSU. They thoroughly checked her out, suggested I get blood work,(which I did not) and found out that she needed the blood work very soon after the episode to be effective. Needless to say within an hour she was back to normal, but no one had any idea why the seizure occured.

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

How old is the dog?

You need blood work to rule out liver problems or other such, that can cause seizures.

Most idiopathic seizures, of unknown cause, just happen and most between two and six years old.

My little rat terrier started having seizures at two, several rather mild ones a day and was on phenobarbital for two years.
    We tried to wean her off then and now at almost six has been seizure free all this time.
    I keep watching her as they may come back any time.

If your dog doesn't has another seizure for a while, you don't have to worry.
    If she starts having them more often, your vet will walk you thru the protocol for them.

I would take her to her regular vet, get her examined, maybe pull blood to have a baseline and do what the vet tells you, that probably will be to keep a diary and note any seizures that may happen and let him/her know if they do happen.

My JRT started having seizures when she was 12 yrs old. I was assured that when a dog starts having seizures at that age, it's likely a brain tumor or something.

After spending some $1500 for testing at the local vet school (WSU), they found nothing and called them idiopathic (meaning 'we don't have a clue').

She remained on phenobarbital till the end of her life at 16yrs. That controlled the seizures to some degree, but she would still have break-through attacks.

Really sucked....

I second everything Bluey said.

My dog just had a seizure for the first time a couple weeks ago. We did blood work to check and make sure everything was functioning correctly. The blood work did show some irregularities (which we're following up with) but nothing that would have caused a seizure. I don't think the blood work needs to be done shortly after the seizure- we didn't pull blood on my dog until about 36 hours after the incident.

In the meantime, my vet suggested I start a calender and record each time a seizure occurs so we can track their frequency.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

"Every dog is entitled to one seizure in its life" :-) Learned this from MD neurologists. One lone seizure does not warrant starting meds. How often the seizures occur does.

BUT I would still get basic blood work done. A multitude of organic diseases can cause seizures, though the vast majority of them in young adults are idiopathic. However, if phenobarb is the drug of choice, you still need basic blood work done before starting it.

As for older dogs and seizures, Kyzteke was lucky and beat the odds. It might be possible that your dog was having seizures for a long time but never when you were around? I had a client some yrs ago bring an older adult dog in for a seizure. Long story short, found out the dog had been having them for a long time but one family member never told another and back and forth!!

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    As for older dogs and seizures, Kyzteke was lucky and beat the odds. It might be possible that your dog was having seizures for a long time but never when you were around? I had a client some yrs ago bring an older adult dog in for a seizure. Long story short, found out the dog had been having them for a long time but one family member never told another and back and forth!!
    Nope. I might have missed one or two, but this dog slept on my bed every night and I was home alot inbetween. Plus I took her (and the others) just about everywhere the law allowed.

We did start out with blood work from my local vet, then when that revealed nothing, I took her to WSU where they did a full work-up including an MRI.

Nada.

We did have to up the dose of the meds several times and afew times she seized while on my bed in the middle of the night...not only fell off the bed, but of course her bladder & bowels released as well. Poor gal...

And she was always so confused for several hours afterwards. Once she had 3 in one day...after that we started her on Valium prn as well.

Although the MRI revealed nothing, she'd fallen out of a moving car (it was moving fairly slow) as a pup and I always wondered if that had anything to do with anything....

But she lived till she was 16 yrs old...my dear little Rosie....

I've had 2 dogs that had seizures. One had 2 total in about 13 yrs...never any reason, never on any meds for it. The other had 2 in a week, then one about 2 weeks later, then never again. He lived to be about 17 and had the seizures when he was about 13.

I've had two dogs with seizures. One jumped out of a truck (cab) and fell when a puppy. He had a seizure disorder his entire life.

My cocker had petit mal seizures as a result of Lyme disease. If we kept the Lyme under control, and made sure she wasn't exposed to pesticides or lawn chemicals she was fine. Pesticide/chemical exposure seemed to push her over the edge.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

A little background; Penny is 9 or 10 years old. My
    BF doesn't know where her papers are. She is relatively active and healthy. About 8 lbs. I feed her the occaisonal carrot, banana, or small crust o bread. As far as I know she hasn't had an episode prior, but you never know!

The neat thing about this dog for me(keep in mind she is not totally mine) is she "knows" when I have a Migraine(or have any prob) and she WILL not leave my side! A very sensitive animal indeed!

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

My cocker spaniel (a rescue) has had two seizures since we got him last November. We don't know what causes them, but they usually happen in the morning. They were both long and severe, accompanied by some strange looks from my poodle ("What the heck are you doing, bro? What is wrong with you?") He has some other problems, too. They wanted us to put him in surgery because he has some cataracts in his eyes, and since he was seized by animal control while tied to a tree with 200 ticks on him , he probably has a few other problems too as a result of that. From all of your posts, I guess seizures do happen to dogs when they don't have a disease or problem (or at least, they don't know if they do), they might just have been triggered by stress, etc. in the older dog (why we don't want him to undergo surgery).

(Wow. Just realized I use a LOT of parentheses. Mind my obsession with these weird, rounded lines.)

I had a little dog that started having seizures when she was less than 6 months old. She was having several a day nearly every day. These were hard, grandmal seizures that left her feeling weak and confused. We got all the blood work done and the vet couldn't find a reason for the seizures but he started her on phenobarbital which helped with the seizures some (not completely) but made her aggressive. We then switched to primidone which, after getting the dosage correct, she stayed on until she died at age 13. The Primidone controlled the seizures as long as she remained on it. I did try to wean her off it after a few years but the seizures returned. I did notice that she seemed to have more seizures when she was hot or dehydrated so I made sure we had water bowls accessible in more than one area of the house.

I also have a yorkie that has had seizures but only when I've treated him with products containing pyrethrin. I have not used any pyrethin products near him in years and he has had no more seizures. He has never been on seizure meds.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If Seizures are more likely to happen when dehydrated, my dog was! She was in bed with me for like the whole day with a Migraine(mine not hers). She will not leave my side when I have one!

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    "Every dog is entitled to one seizure in its life" :-) Learned this from MD neurologists. One lone seizure does not warrant starting meds. How often the seizures occur does.

BUT I would still get basic blood work done. A multitude of organic diseases can cause seizures, though the vast majority of them in young adults are idiopathic. However, if phenobarb is the drug of choice, you still need basic blood work done before starting it.
    Ditto what Meghan said. Unless the first seizure is really severe, I don't start the pet on meds. I do bloodwork to look for any underlying illness. If there's another seizure within 90 days then I'll usually put them on meds.

So, if I had put insect repellent on myself(not very near the dog) this could of induced a seizure in her? dumb question-I know.

my brother's dog Niko had constant seizures, no rhyme or reason. But his are almost undetectable! The only reason my brother figured out what they were was when he started dating my now SIL, who is a vet tech.
    Niko just kind of bows down in the front area, literally like he is taking a bow after a show. Stays like that for maybe 30sec, then stands back up, shakes, and carries on. Sometimes his tail will be a little crooked after.
    They haven't seen him have one when he has been laying down or anything, just randomly when he is standing.
    He is on daily medicine for it now, and has been seizure free for over a year!
    He is only 4 yrs old, and my brother thinks he started getting them right from when he got him home.
    He also explained he just thought he was a funny dog who liked to stretch a lot
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

My chihuahua cross had what appeared to be a seizure as we were on the way to the vets for an emergency visit (he had been trembling badly for a little while) and bloodwork showed that he had extremely low calcium in his blood. was diagnosed as hypoparathyroidism. So now he has to take medicine to help him uptake calcium for correct muscle function. Just another possible cause of seizure like activity.

Just a PSA: Keep in mind that acepromazine can reduce the seizure threshold in canines. My epileptic Husky had seizures from the age of 2 and we had to be very careful to remind any new vets of his seizure disorder if he needed to be sedated for any reason.