The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Imjustthemom Guest

Default Dogs eating dirt

There is a spot in our yard where both of the dogs dig and eat the dirt. Everyday! Any ideas what causes them to do this?

If you figure it out, let me know. I have the same thing. I feed ultra-premium food plus raw bones and healthy people food occasioanlly. I even tried Izmine for awhile. No change. Figure it's just the way it is! All bloodwork is fabulous and vet says dog is perfect.

Any chance there are cats getting into your yard and using that spot as a litter box?

My dogs frequently hunt for "cat crunchies".

Imjustthemom Guest

We do get stray cats in the yard, along with fox, groundhogs, raccoons, etc.

I have the same thing happen. Only 1 of my 3 dogs eats dirt.Not cat poop either., He will just lay there and eat dirt. He also get a premium grain free food and some raw as well as meaty bones and gets plenty of exercie. make me crazy

There's not much you can do They eat it because it tastes good to them. Both my small animal vets and my animal behavior professor in college have told me this. Now they might not be right but they all make good points. Dogs don't know/can't tell that they have a nutritional deficiency so they're not eating it to get minerals. And evolutionarily speaking, all animals eat certain foods if it tastes good to them. All this applies to grass eating as well. I'd just tell them no when caught in the dirt and redirect their focus to a favorite toy or activity like going for a walk.

My dog does it too. Same spot, right by the pasture gate where the ruts from the pickup truck are. No cat poop, dog is on great food and in great health, she just loves dirt. I've given up and now just try to limit the amount of dirt she eats. LOL