The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WWYD? Carriage Accident. Horse Put Back to Work.

The first video shows the accident. The woman in the carriage gets quite upset.

The second video shows the horse being put back to work. And the woman really let's the driver have an earful (warning expletives).

What would your reaction have been in both situations?

http://youtu.be/LgGHH0n2CzI

http://youtu.be/AI4osOZ1qn4
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Aug. 9, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I believe slapping hysterical women has a history of being effective....

Or at least enjoyable!

(the above is only for entertainment purposes and does not actually support slapping women of any level of emotional distress)
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Well I'll slap her for you! What a drama queen.
    While I'm against carriage use in the city I didn't see that the horse dropped from exhaustion. In fact he looks like he's well cared for. I wouldn't have put him back into work until I was sure he wasn't going to spook at whatever set him off again.
    Seems he just lost his footing while he was spooking.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Mike- A link to these videos has already been placed in the thread about the American Girl demonstration by the RARAs.

The woman who made the videos obviously PLANNED in the hope they went viral- which they have, sort of. She copyrighted them and slapped the note across the bottom.

She also went to a video on Youtube previously posted by one of the RARAs and urged them to go take a look at her video also on Youtube, that "documented" her "traumatic" experience. She has now had her 15 minutes of fame. She has been on CNN and CBS and was paid for the use of her video by Inside Edition.

To answer the question:WWYD? I probably wouldn't have let those fata**es in my carriage to begin with AND I would not have stood there and let her curse at me. I would have driven back to the stable and let her come and get her purse.

Mrs. "Shrieker" has also been asked to speak at a news conference called by PETA. Never mind that her shrieks were obvously so FAKE and just added to the poor horse's confusion because it could not hear voice cues from its driver, nor could his attempts to clam the horse be heard over her shrill shrieks.

The horse was NOT put back on the line. Apparently after using her cell phone to film the incident she was so upset she left her purse in his carriage. He went back to the carriage stand line hoping she would then come retrive the forgotten purse.

Instead of thanking the driver, she than began cursing him and ranting at him. After the purse was returned, the horse was taken back to the stable and checked by a vet, who said the horse had not sustained any injury. The horse did not go back on the street THAT day and it is unclear if it was back on the street the NEXT day. The driver was driving a different horse Thursday when a reporter tried to talk to him about the incident.

All these videos are is this sad woman's attempt to gain attention and/or probably a fat a settlement check by threatening to sue. In the second video, she even threatens the driver with, " I have it all on tape." or words to that effect.

The REAL victims who suffered a traumatic experience from THIS carriage ride are the carriage horse and the driver.

And in the interest of full disclosure: I don't own or drive a carriage in NYC and I don't eprsonally know anyone who does. But I will say that the only abuse and possible cruelty I see and hear is her intolerable shrieking that went on and on even after the horse was back up (it triped over the curb after a pedicab startled it.) AND the gross amount of weight the horse was having to pull with her, her son and husband all in the carriage at once. All of them could benefit from going on "The Biggest Loser." And now thanks to her new-found fame, they might get that chance.
    Last edited by bayou_bengal; Aug. 9, 2011 at 01:40 PM.

I really can't see from the video how/why the horse ended up on the ground. You can see him agitated in the harness but not what what specifically put him on the ground.

The woman was hysterical for sure. She claims he went down twice?

If the horse went down twice for no reason, yeah, I'd be concerned about him going back to work. If he was uncharacteristically spooky, he should've probably been checked out.

Not enough information to form an opinion.

I'd wait and see how he walked out (after getting over my own heart attack) and if he wasn't bleeding and was using all four legs, I'd let it go. If they get back up on their own and nothing's dangling that shouldn't be, they're usually fine.

To me, the first video looked like he was spooking at the oncoming bike traffic, starting backing, hit the curb (looks like there's a sidewalk off the path) scared himself, slipped and went down. Would SCARE me, but once I saw the horse on all four feet I wouldn't be especially worried about serious damage. Less even than the time I saw a dray team on Mackinac Island slip and go on their knees trying to go up an incline from one of the piers. They got up, but I"d be worried about their knees.

Sometimes "she needed slapping" should be a valid defense.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Drama LLama award nominee...

snort*

the comment she made in the 2nd video was the topper.
    'you know how traumatic that was for me? Just so you guys know!"

mmk - so the issue isn't the horse, it's her. good to know.

I'd have slapped her for sure in the 1st video - talk about drama queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

You know that scene in "Airplane" where everyone is lining up to slap/strike/wallop the hysteric?

Line forms to the left...and I'm first!
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

I don't have sound on my computer right now, but the horse looked fine in the second video (not so much as a scratch that I could see, though admittedly I stopped watching about halfway through because it seemed to be all about her conversation with the driver rather than documenting any problems with the horse) so I'm also chalking it up to hysteria. ESPECIALLY if the horse was returned to the stable right after she got her purse as bayou_bengal said.

I once was showing at a State Fair driving competition (back when I did a bit of that, I was never a serious driver but some people at my barn were and so I dabbled a bit) and the horse spooked slightly (not even a big thing, just a small sideways jump), tripped over his own feet, and fell in the shafts. He was totally unharmed and calm and we just unhooked him, he stood up, we had a quick check done by a vet on the grounds, and then harnessed him back up and entered the next class as planned. In fact IIRC we wound up taking high point that day. Sometimes crap just happens but as long as no one (animal included) is hurt I don't see anything wrong with just picking up and carrying on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    You know that scene in "Airplane" where everyone is lining up to slap/strike/wallop the hysteric?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG2MHPQFqY

Yeah, I'm next.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I don't have sound on my computer right now, but the horse looked fine in the second video (not so much as a scratch that I could see, though admittedly I stopped watching about halfway through because it seemed to be all about her conversation with the driver rather than documenting any problems with the horse) so I'm also chalking it up to hysteria. ESPECIALLY if the horse was returned to the stable right after she got her purse as bayou_bengal said.

I once was showing at a State Fair driving competition (back when I did a bit of that, I was never a serious driver but some people at my barn were and so I dabbled a bit) and the horse spooked slightly (not even a big thing, just a small sideways jump), tripped over his own feet, and fell in the shafts. He was totally unharmed and calm and we just unhooked him, he stood up, we had a quick check done by a vet on the grounds, and then harnessed him back up and entered the next class as planned. In fact IIRC we wound up taking high point that day. Sometimes crap just happens but as long as no one (animal included) is hurt I don't see anything wrong with just picking up and carrying on.
    One of the earliest news stories quoted both a vet and someone from the stable or a spokesman for the carriage industry as saying the horse was taken back to the stable AFTER the driver returned the purse. Oh, THAT was interesting too. She stopped cursing him long enough to tell him she had to "check her purse first" I guess she was trying to imply that he might have taken something. I don't think I heard her thank him at all for returning her purse to her.

Since you don't have sound, let me just tell you that in the second video she cursed the driver (in front of her juvenile son) and she used the F-word. She also warned that she had the whole thing on tape.

In the first video, the really funny part was when she started screaming "Run, Run, Run" AFTER she had shrieked like a steamboat whistle for what seemed like forever while the horse was trying to get up. She was apparently instructing her husband and son to run away because of the danger from a horse that tripped??? Whatever??

Also please notice that neither of her videos actually shows the horse going down. And Mrs Shrieker seemed much more concerned about "getting it on tape" than about the fate of the poor horse.

I know several very experienced carriage drivers and horse farmers. They all have told me that the seasoned, well-trained horses will wait if they trip or fall in the traces to be unhitched before they try to get up. These are not just people who drive commercial carriages, but people who compete in CDE and who train drivng horses for a living as well as farm for a living and hold schools to teach others how to use farm horses.

I have heard all kinds of stories about "wrecks" that looked like they were really bad, but from which the horses escaped unscathed- not even a scratch. I also have been told that in case of a "wreck" or a runaway you are always safer to try to stay with the carriage- especially if it is moving. The carriage in the video wasn't.

I am reminded of that "classic" harness class where a horse careens wildly around the arena smashing into people and other carts and then is lead away without even a slight limp.

I'm surprised PETA and the other RARAs were not quick to jump on that one and demand that showing horses in harness should be stopped becasue it was dangerous and cruel.

Well, that was my giggle for the day. Thanks Mike!

Her shreiking reminded me of when the wicked to-be step mother, "Vicky" from the original Parent Trap movie (one of my favriote movies ever, btw), woke up to find baby bears licking honey off her feet!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Now I'm really wishing I had sound.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation, bayou. The lady sounds like a total nut. I was kind of wondering about that when the horse was down--it seems like it would be a lot safer to train them to stay down until the driver can make sure they're not caught in anything and to be at their head as they get up.

Also I realized that my previous post was worded in such a way as to imply you might have been lying...I didn't mean it like that, I just was acknowledging that I didn't know where your information came from.

The woman was overly emotional. But forgetting for a second her ranting.... the horse did fall over in harness and really struggled to get back up. At least on the video footage I saw, I saw no real concern by the carriage owner. If my horse was hitched to a cart and just fell over & wouldn't get back up, I'd be emotional & on the cellphone to my vet.

The 2nd video shows the horse back in line. NOT waiting where the horse fell for the "lady to get her purse" -- it was lined up with the other drivers. When tourist lady pointed it out, driver did not seem sorry. He could have had someone else hand her the purse while he either took the horse out of the way while he assessed the horse. At the very least he needed to do his own assessment of why the horse fell: was he having weakness or neuro issues? Did he get hurt in the fall? Could he be getting sick?

I am sure he *had* to go back to the stable after the woman made such a fuss, out of fears she was calling Animal Control. It's called covering one's butt. (Maybe I am just cynical?)

It's just a shame her verbal hysterics took away from the integrity of the video. But her screeching didn't cause the horse to fall over, nor did it keep the carriage owner parked in line.

Again, I didn't see anything that looked like the horse was sick, or he really struggled to get up (beyond it being awkward--he was still in the shafts.) It looked like a spook gone bad, which can happen on pavement. If he's not limping or three-legged or bleeding, no reason NOT to put him back in work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post

Line forms to the left...and I'm first!

that was exactly what I was thinking...I would LOVE to be in that que!

That woman is simply hysterical. I also wouldn't mind hitting her with a blunt object or two.

If I were present for such an event I would have given the horse space to get up and move around a bit.

If after getting up he was unharmed (no bleeding, legs missing etc.) and moved around OK, I wouldn't make the slightest fuss. These are flight animals after all and they can spook (some more than others). It looks like he just lost his footing while paying attention to something else.

She didn't even let or listen to the driver explain himself.

Videos are gone. She falls into the mental midget class. What an idiot. Horse did spook (hmm that can be a bit exciting) and then tripped. BFD. Glad to see the horse took its time getting up.