The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,838

    Default Another CL Goodie Anybody have a Tranq gun?

    From the Texarkana Craig's List:

    "i have a horse that is to hard to catch an would like to have someone with a tranquilize gun to shoot him for me so i can catch him
    thanks, you can call or text me any-time"



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,163

    Default

    oh man. You have to send that one to horses in the morning... hahaha
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,481

    Default

    So that's where SLC's been!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 19, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    535

    Default

    playin' devil's advocate..but they do have sedative darts for really wild, unruly cattle..mabey this person is thinking along those same lines?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    playin' devil's advocate..but they do have sedative darts for really wild, unruly cattle..mabey this person is thinking along those same lines?
    Probably. The guy that bought our cows darted one of the hard to pen ones. Didn't faze her. Knocked her down for a few minutes and the she got up and took off.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 19, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Probably. The guy that bought our cows darted one of the hard to pen ones. Didn't faze her. Knocked her down for a few minutes and the she got up and took off.
    friend of mine had to do that once too..this cow took afew darts before she was down and stayed down.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,481

    Default

    Around here some producers use that method to medicate cattle in a herd. Saves the need for chutes and pens, less stress to the herd, and it cuts down on drug use. Just medicate the affected animal without having to cut it out of the herd or run the herd through chutes to get to the one you want.

    Maybe that's where the guy got the idea. He might also just try putting a bit of feed in a bucket and working with the animal quietly and calmly, gaining its trust.

    Nah - much better to post for a sharpshooter on CL.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    20,978

    Default

    I actually had to do that once. My two year old was at a training center about to get broke. She was turned out in one of the shared paddocks and somehow got her halter off. We could not catch her. Tried no feed, no water, nine ace pills in her feed etc for three days. People were getting pissed that she was in the paddock and were threatening to open the gate and turn her loose so in desperation we called animal control. The guy they sent out said he had gelded wild horses with less than what he shot her with. It didn't even slow her down! Eventually we used pieces of plywood and trapped her against the fence. Put the halter back on and lead her into the barn! Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her. While she was in race training!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,107

    Default

    Just make sure they don't use carfentanil (a common drug for darting large animals.) Besides being INSANELY dangerous if you even get it on your skin, it's not good for use in equines.

    But otherwise, you can dart other large animals, I'm sure you can knock down a horse with them, I'm just not sure I'd go looking on CL for someone with a Cap Chur gun and lots of spare time to do it...



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    34,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    So that's where SLC's been!

    ROFLMAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    5,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her.
    usually tranquilizers work faster than that



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    usually tranquilizers work faster than that


    You crack me up!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I actually had to do that once. My two year old was at a training center about to get broke. She was turned out in one of the shared paddocks and somehow got her halter off. We could not catch her. Tried no feed, no water, nine ace pills in her feed etc for three days. People were getting pissed that she was in the paddock and were threatening to open the gate and turn her loose so in desperation we called animal control. The guy they sent out said he had gelded wild horses with less than what he shot her with. It didn't even slow her down! Eventually we used pieces of plywood and trapped her against the fence. Put the halter back on and lead her into the barn! Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her. While she was in race training!
    You give beginner riding lessons on 2 1/2 year olds in race training? That sounds interesting to watch.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    20,978

    Default

    Actually no, it was not interesting to watch. She is one in a million.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2011
    Location
    Madison, GA
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    usually tranquilizers work faster than that
    LOL, but eventually if you work with them on being caught, it's easier to not have to shoot them.

    I know a lot of gun toting southerns that would kill for a chance to shoot a horse with a dart gun!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.eVetPractice.com - talk to me about your veterinarian practice management and farm management needs!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    34,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    LOL, but eventually if you work with them on being caught, it's easier to not have to shoot them.

    I know a lot of gun toting southerns that would kill for a chance to shoot a horse with a dart gun!

    It's not the horses I want to dart....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Isn't it easier to put up panels and run them into a smaller pen or into a stall in the barn? That's what we do with horses (we've done the mustang makeover)/cattle/swine/goats. Never had to tranq anything.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2002
    Location
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Posts
    7,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    So that's where SLC's been!
    My thought exactly!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2005
    Location
    Up and down the west coast!
    Posts
    3,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    Isn't it easier to put up panels and run them into a smaller pen or into a stall in the barn? That's what we do with horses (we've done the mustang makeover)/cattle/swine/goats. Never had to tranq anything.
    I was about to note that this is how we caught and loaded 225 mustangs at Three Strikes...pretty sure whatever this person has got is not more evasive than 225 mustangs. Just get enough people and panels and squeeze the horse into a small enough enclosure where you can catch it. Much safer for the horse than darting or roping.



Similar Threads

  1. CL Goodie.. NOT
    By Nootka in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
  2. Symptoms - 30 day tranq?
    By JustABay in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 8, 2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Another CL goodie...
    By DiscoMom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
  4. An Oldie But A Goodie...
    By SunkenMeadow in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2010, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness