The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another CL Goodie Anybody have a Tranq gun?

From the Texarkana Craig's List:

"i have a horse that is to hard to catch an would like to have someone with a tranquilize gun to shoot him for me so i can catch him
    thanks, you can call or text me any-time"

oh man. You have to send that one to horses in the morning... hahaha
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

So that's where SLC's been!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

playin' devil's advocate..but they do have sedative darts for really wild, unruly cattle..mabey this person is thinking along those same lines?

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    playin' devil's advocate..but they do have sedative darts for really wild, unruly cattle..mabey this person is thinking along those same lines?
    Probably. The guy that bought our cows darted one of the hard to pen ones. Didn't faze her. Knocked her down for a few minutes and the she got up and took off.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Probably. The guy that bought our cows darted one of the hard to pen ones. Didn't faze her. Knocked her down for a few minutes and the she got up and took off.
    friend of mine had to do that once too..this cow took afew darts before she was down and stayed down.

Around here some producers use that method to medicate cattle in a herd. Saves the need for chutes and pens, less stress to the herd, and it cuts down on drug use. Just medicate the affected animal without having to cut it out of the herd or run the herd through chutes to get to the one you want.

Maybe that's where the guy got the idea. He might also just try putting a bit of feed in a bucket and working with the animal quietly and calmly, gaining its trust.

Nah - much better to post for a sharpshooter on CL.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I actually had to do that once. My two year old was at a training center about to get broke. She was turned out in one of the shared paddocks and somehow got her halter off. We could not catch her. Tried no feed, no water, nine ace pills in her feed etc for three days. People were getting pissed that she was in the paddock and were threatening to open the gate and turn her loose so in desperation we called animal control. The guy they sent out said he had gelded wild horses with less than what he shot her with. It didn't even slow her down! Eventually we used pieces of plywood and trapped her against the fence. Put the halter back on and lead her into the barn! Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her. While she was in race training!

Just make sure they don't use carfentanil (a common drug for darting large animals.) Besides being INSANELY dangerous if you even get it on your skin, it's not good for use in equines.

But otherwise, you can dart other large animals, I'm sure you can knock down a horse with them, I'm just not sure I'd go looking on CL for someone with a Cap Chur gun and lots of spare time to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

ROFLMAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her.
    usually tranquilizers work faster than that

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post

You crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I actually had to do that once. My two year old was at a training center about to get broke. She was turned out in one of the shared paddocks and somehow got her halter off. We could not catch her. Tried no feed, no water, nine ace pills in her feed etc for three days. People were getting pissed that she was in the paddock and were threatening to open the gate and turn her loose so in desperation we called animal control. The guy they sent out said he had gelded wild horses with less than what he shot her with. It didn't even slow her down! Eventually we used pieces of plywood and trapped her against the fence. Put the halter back on and lead her into the barn! Within two months I rode her on a four hour trail ride through the mountains with 35 other horses. Within four months I was giving beginner riding lessons on her. While she was in race training!
    You give beginner riding lessons on 2 1/2 year olds in race training? That sounds interesting to watch.

Actually no, it was not interesting to watch. She is one in a million.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    LOL, but eventually if you work with them on being caught, it's easier to not have to shoot them.

I know a lot of gun toting southerns that would kill for a chance to shoot a horse with a dart gun!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.eVetPractice.com - talk to me about your veterinarian practice management and farm management needs!

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    LOL, but eventually if you work with them on being caught, it's easier to not have to shoot them.

I know a lot of gun toting southerns that would kill for a chance to shoot a horse with a dart gun!

It's not the horses I want to dart....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Isn't it easier to put up panels and run them into a smaller pen or into a stall in the barn? That's what we do with horses (we've done the mustang makeover)/cattle/swine/goats. Never had to tranq anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    My thought exactly!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    Isn't it easier to put up panels and run them into a smaller pen or into a stall in the barn? That's what we do with horses (we've done the mustang makeover)/cattle/swine/goats. Never had to tranq anything.
    I was about to note that this is how we caught and loaded 225 mustangs at Three Strikes...pretty sure whatever this person has got is not more evasive than 225 mustangs. Just get enough people and panels and squeeze the horse into a small enough enclosure where you can catch it. Much safer for the horse than darting or roping.