The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smoke!!

Just a vent I guess - don't know what we can do except try to stay in.

Can't even see 1/2 mile the smoke is so thick - the humidity isn't helping matters!! Southeast Va friends - hears to hoping rain puts the swamp fire out.

Daydream - is this one near you?

It is bad. I live by the Norfolk airport and I can smell it in the air.

I am kind of glad my horse is on three days of rest. I am not tempted to ride him with the smoke and the heat.

I feel for y'all - I'm way up on the Eastern Shore of MD (Easton, at the moment) and you can smell the smoke here! I can't even imagine what it's like near the source!

It was very bad this morning, but seems to have broken up as the day has gone on, but dang, it is hot! This morning, it smelled like my neighbor's house was on fire, when I put the dogs out to potty at 6:30, and I am in northern Newport News. Looked a bit hazy. When I got to work, in Norfolk, it was pretty smelly, but not as bad as at my house. I would think, the fire being in the Dismal Swamp, it should be not all that far from Daydream Believer. Seems like, this morning, though, the smoke was all blowing north. Not sure what direction she is from the fire, but I know she is out in lower Sufflok, somewhere.

We were dealing with large amounts of smoke from the Wallow fire in AZ for what seemed like forever, so I sympathize. It is no fun.

There really isn't much to do other than stay inside, unfortunately. Definitely don't ride if the air quality is too bad. Though because of my setup (shed row barns and not enough stalls for all the horses) my animals just pretty much had to suffer through it, and while there were some especially gummy eyes and some coughing, everyone made it through just fine, even the horse with heaves.

ddb...yes it's very close...maybe 3 miles from us but it's due east from our property and the winds are taking the smoke towards Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. I drove through a huge smokey mess today after trimming off of Indian Creek Rd...heading up towards Great Bridge area. So far the smoke has not been bad here but that can change fast.

The smoke is easily seen from my yard...it is scary but so far I've no heard of any warnings or threats to people's property. I'll upload a few pics in a minute and post them.

Someone told me today that they were down in Currituck in NC and had smoke all around also and ashes built up on her car!

The first pic was from the first day last week. I was trimming right off the Dismal Swamp when I took that.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/IMG_0775.jpg

The second pic was from my back yard yesterday. Just a huge plume of smoke coming up and you could see the clouds boiling. Really impressive. It must be a huge fire. I heard it was a thousand acres and it's expected to burn for a month at least.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/IMG_0783.jpg

You can see how much bigger it's gotten by the smoke cloud.

Great pictures! I heard this morning it's taken 3000 acres .

So far today smoke has not been an issue - hear that may change this evening.

It was hard to see while driving yesterday and that doesn't even touch how hard it was to breath!

Hope it stays away from you!!

I must live in a cave, I hadn't heard about this and I have family in that region. What started the fire and is it anything requiring evacuations?

No evacuations yet. Right now it's still well within the Swamp boundaries. I spoke to a friend in NC who is an officer in the Fire Dept down there and the worst threat still is from smoke.

The fire is called "Lateral West" and this is the page for updates.

http://inciweb.org/unit/4576/

Good God..I just found a map on that site. If you open this, look to the West of the fire and find Deer Forest Rd. I live a mile down from 32 on that road. Cripes, I had not realized how close it was!

http://inciweb.org/incident/map/2458/0/

Wow - that's close to you!

I heard today on the news it will burn for a while. Said a Tropical storm would be needed to put it out.

Sure wish they could flood it out - since it is a swamp area near the lake.

The smoke is so unhealthy for all in it's path.

Default how awful ~ BE CAREFUL ~

HOW AWFUL ` BE CAREFUL ``
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I don't know about the rest of you in SE Virginia but I'm OVER this smoke already. We get smoked out down here at least once a day. I can't believe I'm hoping for a tropical storm but they say that is what it will take to put this fire out.

I found this album of pics in the InciWeb site...thought I'd share them. It is a real mess but it is clear there are a lot of folks working very hard to keep this fire contained. God Bless them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwsno...7627462458136/

Here is the latest map. Still way too close for comfort for me.

http://inciweb.org/incident/map/2458/0/

I'm so sorry this is still going on - heard code Purple yesterday!! Guessing purple is worse than red. Drove 58 to 95 last Friday and boy was it bad.

We have not been that bad lately, but can see that's all in the direction of the wind.

Hear there are a few Tropical Storms brewing...can't believe I'll say it, but if that's what it takes to get this out so be it.

Hoping clear breathing weather comes your way soon Day Dream.

Jingles for all of you in the area dealing with this. When the wind direction changes from the south, we can smell the smoke all the way up in Charles county MD, so I can't imagine how bad it must be for those of you in SE VA.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/