The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do any paddock boots come in size 5 1/2??

All I see is 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 everywhere. Size six is TOO BIG for my feet! Are there ANY brands that come in a 5.5?

The Ariats size six is almost small enough, but not quite, and they are the smallest fit I've found.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Try kids sizes. A youth 3.5 is the same as a women's 5.5.

Ariat Crowne Pro's came in a 5 1/2 and it was a true size in my experience. But I think they quit making those - not sure if the new Ariats still come in 5 1/2.

And you'll save some money getting kids sizes. I'm jealous!!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

The kids' ones are too wide. Does any brand run narrow in children's sizes?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Their are 2 women at my barn with your same issue! I believe GP comes in a 5.5. They complain that Ariat kid's boots are too wide and fall apart when subjected to adult abuse... I know one of them wears customs

Ariat comes in a 5 1/2 -- I bought some last year.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Ariat comes in a 5.5... now if any tack store actually carries a 5.5, that would be wonderful! I hate going into a shoe store and having them look at you like you're crazy because you want anything under a size 6!

Ariat has 5.5, but their zippers suck, so I hate recommending them... I have had Saxon synthetics in a 5 or 5.5 before, and some other synthetics that I can't remember... but those might have been a kid size.

I feel your pain; I wear a 5 or 5.5 and so many stores nowadays don't carry anything under than a 6.

Thank you for the GP recommendation! I have found a few in 5.5 - they are $$ but I am looking around. There are a bunch of brown ones on Ebay but I want black. Am willing to wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    Try kids sizes. A youth 3.5 is the same as a women's 5.5.
    This. I love getting kids shoes for the reason someone else mentioned - they're less expensive!

I wear a 5 1/2 but a 6 in paddocks. I have wider feet, though, so that makes a difference. Have you tried any of the size 6 boots on just to make sure they don't fit? Width may make the difference for you.

I had GPs and the elastic in them died really quickly, so I'd only recommend them if you are getting laces. I wanted laces anyway, but the elastic/zip ones were all that the store had. They were extremely comfortable, though, and I used to walk 3 miles in them to/from the barn with no problems. (Which could also explain the death of the elastic!)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Yup, I'm a lace-up only fan.

I wear 5.5 and can find paddock boots in Ariat, GP, etc. pretty easily. Its tall boots that I have serious problems with.

And tall boot SOCKS! They are all too big in the feet!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I wear a 5.5 too so I feel your pain! I was lusting after the Treadstep paddock boots, but of course they only come in a 6. Same with the Grand Prix ones. Although if you email or call Smartpak, they will check to see if the mfgr makes a 5.5. I did this when I was searching for tall boots and wanted to order some that only came in a 36. (Ended up with the Sergio Grasso ones, which apparently run small and fit great, although I do use a Dr. Schols heel pad thing (replaced my original heel lift with that). I think they would be slightly loose if I just wore them plain (although that speaks more to my narrow foot than the size).

Anyway, I just (literally in June) bought a pair of 5.5 Ariat Colbalt whatever (or Performer now?) IDK, they are the ones that are around $175. Very well built. Super comfortable and great zipper. Bought them off one of the traveling tack places at a horseshow at the Oaks, but IIR Smartpak also carries them in 5.5

Before that I went cheapie and got the Dublin ones ($60) which also come in 5.5 (I ordered from Smartpak). They were nice and lasted about a year and a half with my daily wear and tear, but they weren't as comfortable & the soles were kinda slippery (I'm pretty picky about soles being grippy). Plus the zipper started to come undone when I put my heels down. The Ariat ones seem much more durable (ironically).

Have no fear! 5.5 are out there!

A children's 2 1/2 or 3 would be closest to a 5 1/2. Plus would run a bit narrower usually.

I have Ariat Cobalts and they are 5 1/2. Picked them up through Dover.

Default Ariat

Most Ariat paddock boots come in a size 5.5 (a few zips don't, the zip paddocks also seem to fit larger than the lace model), several Ariat Tall Boots also start at 5.5 - just call Ariat & ask which boots fit narrower etc: I've found them very helpful & knowledgeable about the boots they sell & different leathers used.