The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gift ideas for the trainer who loves to fox hunt?

My mare is currently away for 5 weeks with a trainer to be started under saddle. He is a cowboy, but he also has recently gotten very involved with fox hunting. I am a hunter rider and have no clue about fox hunting. I would like to get him a gift in thanks for the great job he has done with Piper. Any ideas? I was thinking possibly a flask and maybe a bottle of his favorite liquor since he mentioned that there is often passing of flasks on the hunt and that it does help to keep him warm. Any other ideas? I also want to get something for his barn manager that hunts with him as well. I was thinking about getting her an engraved frame since she just got a new horse and this will be her first season with him, but I am open to other ideas for her as well. Thanks in advance!

A proper 4 fold stock tie.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

JSwan is right, as usual. The stock should be white or off white. Have the store subtly slip the directions in the folds, so he can practice in private before he heads out. This is always a great gift, as you can never have too many!

The flasks are tricky to chose and expensive. He is better off chosing his own.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Another vote for a 4 fold. They have lots of really need fabrics out there to add a bit of extra style.

Some ideas:
    A nice pair of wool string gloves from Horse Country in canary (pale gold).

Look on ebay for deals on flasks in the leather holder (new they are tres chere).
    A nice Ariat or personalized garment bag for his coat.

Wire cutters in a leather holder for his saddle. (These can save a life, ask me how I know) I bet a cowboy would like those.

Ebay often has antique St. Hubert medals. You could put one on a nice cord for him to wear attached to his vest buttonhole for good luck.

A flask with a bottle of port would be nice as would be the other suggestions.

I agree too with JSwan...I have seen her personally sacrifice her own 4 fold in the hunt field to patch up a hound that had been badly kicked. A nice and practical gift.

and for the lady, for cubbing they make nice 4 folds in really beautiful colors and patterns too! (Men usually wear ties or turtlenecks for cubbing)

Really...ANYTHING from Horse Country in Warrenton, they are online now too!

Appomattox, VA, \"Where our Nation Reunited\"

The wire cutters is a great idea, as well as the tie!
    Cheryl Microutsicos, in the heart of Virginia
    www.wowgraphicdesigns.com
    www.usea2.net
    www.foxhuntva.com

Thanks for all the suggestions! The barn manger is going to get me the brand of his favorite stock tie, so I will probably end up going with that.

Default Wire Cutter Source

A good pair of wire cutters would always be on his saddle if you were to choose them as a gift. Here is a great affordable source that you can use online and they will ship to you in just about 2 weeks: http://www.calcuttandsons.co.uk/

Calcutt & Sons is an amazing tack shop if you are ever in Sutton Scotney, Hants.
    It is my 'local' store when I am over there in Salisbury. New and fantastic used, although the saddles are a bit different to what we expect over here...sort of old style and big and padded (for a long day's hunting).

Otherwise a Leatherman is the handy dandy all purpose tool.

I vote for the booze...always welcome.