The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on this--value of saddle after modification

A few years ago I bought a used dressage saddle which had short billets. The seller had been planning to have the billets changed out to long ones and offered to do so for me at no additional charge, which I had her do. So I got the (lovely) saddle with brand new long billets and have used it for several years. Now I'm not riding the horse much and am trying to sell the saddle. I took it to a tack store for consignment yesterday; today I get a call that the modification will decrease the saddle's value, that it was poorly done (I disagree), and they want me to come get it. I let them know I was pretty annoyed since I drove over an hour to bring the saddle there and it would be a huge inconvenience to go get it. They're going to keep it for a month and see if it sells.

Now I'm wondering... does this decrease the saddle's value? I would think replacing old short billets with new long billets on a dressage saddle would INCREASE the value or keep it the same.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Hmmm never heard of billet replacement decreasing the value of a saddle. I suppose it could happen, but billets are one of those things that get a lot of wear and tear so I'd think billet replacement is kind of par for the course.

A lot of saddles are reflocked, have various modifications done, and still have fine resale value.......
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

That was my thinking too. Billet replacement is pretty standard, I can't imagine someone wanting to pay LESS for nice new billets..
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I can see how it might look sloppy if the three short billets were taken off but the nylon tabs that used to attach those to the tree were left on, then you just ran two leather straps independent of those nylon tabs down the saddle. A better solution would have been to attach the new billets to the original nylon tabs.

But I can't see how that would negatively impact the saddle's function, and I'd prefer it any day over having crappy old billets. And it's under the flap so the aesthetics aren't noticeable when you're in the saddle. It shouldn't hurt resale value very much at all; if anything, it could be marketed as a good selling point because a future owner could choose to reinstall short billets if they preferred.

If you're a saddle collector then yes, any change in original configuration reduces value.

If a modification is poorly done it will reduce value.

If it's a "name" saddle then it might reduce value.

If not, the I'd think any impact on value would be minimal.

G.