The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back on Track pads

I used my BOT pad today. It was upper 80's or low 90's. It didn't seem to bother him with the extra "heat", but is it a good thing to do? He actually seemed a little looser today. It was a good ride and the warm up was much quicker and nicer than usual. Just didn't know about the BOT pad though. I also got hock boots. I didn't use those, but think I will try them out too. Any advice on using them? Or should I just go ahead and do it? Thanks!

It doesn't create extra "heat"

I actually find they sweat less in BOT products - i.e. the saddle pads & polos

Thanks for the answer NorCal. He sweated about usual for him.... Me, I think I sweated more than he did--lol! I think he liked this pad more, I may use it to lie down on :-)

I, now, will only use a BOT pad. I was also concerned about using it in the heat and I emailed BOT. They said it should be fine but it depends on your horse. My horse is fine with the BOT pad and it has been in the upper 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GMan View Post
    Thanks for the answer NorCal. He sweated about usual for him.... Me, I think I sweated more than he did--lol! I think he liked this pad more, I may use it to lie down on :-)
    HA!

You know you're a horseperson when you're using your horse's therapeutic wraps on yourself.....Laying on the saddle pad, wrapping your own legs with BOT wraps for an injury....

Love my BOT pad!

i also have the hock boots. i thought my ottb was more comfortable the next day after wearing them overnight after a more intense workout.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Give and Take View Post
    Love my BOT pad!

i also have the hock boots. i thought my ottb was more comfortable the next day after wearing them overnight after a more intense workout.
    Do you use your hock boots when you work him or after the workout? My guy gets hock injections plus a monthly injection for them. I got a super deal on the pad and hock boots last weekend and trying to figure out how to work with the boots.

And yes, I am a true horseperson!

Another BoT believer here! I won't use any other saddle pad now, as I have switched back and forth a bit and notice a definite difference in my TB's back (loose, swinging) with the pad.

I also have the hock boots and prefer to use them before I ride for 20 mins or so, and also after strenuous rides. Notice a difference in his movement with these too!

I have the back brace for myself (after trying out lying on the saddle pad of course) and love it!

I have used all of the products when it's been hot (upper 90s) & humid and have not noticed that my horse is uncomfortable or sweats more than normal. I won't put the sheet on him when it's that warm, but if he's getting ridden, it's in the BoT pad
    Last edited by Carried Away; Aug. 9, 2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more info!

I'm really confused about what the back on track products actually do So as I understand it, they reflect heat back to the horse to warm up the muscles. Ok, I get that. But how it is any different than warming up the muscles another way? Let's take the back on track blanket as an example. How is this any different than putting on a blanket which is slightly too heavy for the temperature so the horse warms up underneath? And the saddle pads...there is so much talk about how natural materials (like sheepskin) are better because they are more breathable and don't retain heat as much, but the purpose of the back on track is to do just that. Sorry, I think I might just be dense, but someone please explain!

I'm with you Sonoma City. I don't quite get it either and I have a BOT saddle pad. I see no difference when I use mine and prefer my sheepskin fitted pad to any of the other ones I own. I've tried my BOT pad on my Perch/Morgan who is 22 yrs old and on my 9 yr old OTTB. I can't see any difference in their movement between the BOT pad and any other thicker cotten type pad.

I do see a difference when I use my sheepskin pad. My OTTB seems much happier. He is looser in his movements and rounds better.

I have also had my Albion SLK dressage saddle checked for proper fit, so that isn't causing the pad to not work.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

I've only used the hock boots after i ride and left them on over nite after a big workout.

i might try them before i ride sometime to see how that works...

my ottb is turned out 8-10hrs per day so i don't want to leave them on in the field.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

slightly off topic....

but I have a BoT ankle bandage and I love it! this company needs to pay me for all the endorsing I have done for them.

I broke my ankle in January and tore all the soft tissue from my toes to my knee. This bandage has helped me regain my strength and movement in my ankle.

I dont own horses right now, but if I did, they would all have BoT stuff.