The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Inspection etiquette question-can handler carry a whip?

I am presenting my Starlight filly at the GOV inspection next week. The mare is a bit sluggish to trot in hand, especially with the high heat and humidity. Is it ok for me to carry a dressage whip with me to encourage her to trot along more briskly? I don't need to touch her with it, just carrying it seems to keep her a little sharper. The mare is not being inspected, just the foal.
    Thanks.

Absolutely. However, a whip handler behind you (if you have practiced together and have your game plan worked out) can be more effective. A whip carried by the handler will often make the mare crooked and effect the gait negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    I am presenting my Starlight filly at the GOV inspection next week. The mare is a bit sluggish to trot in hand, especially with the high heat and humidity. Is it ok for me to carry a dressage whip with me to encourage her to trot along more briskly? I don't need to touch her with it, just carrying it seems to keep her a little sharper. The mare is not being inspected, just the foal.
    Thanks.
    Yes, that is fine Sara. And yes, Di knows the difference when you have a whip vs not. The in-hand handler that showed her loved that she had a great on/off switch (and no whip indicated "off"). But if he really wanted her to show off - she would show her huge trot (and he always had a whip but never needed to use it). He thought she was a blast to show in hand (and we have hot and humid here). The GOV does not care if you have a whip - most pro handlers do carry one at inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Absolutely. However, a whip handler behind you (if you have practiced together and have your game plan worked out) can be more effective. A whip carried by the handler will often make the mare crooked and effect the gait negatively.
    Yes, no problem for the handler to carry a whip, but as HAF said, it often works even better to have a whip handler with a lunge whip behind the mare. And you can attach a plastic grocery bag to the whip to make it louder and more visible. Sometimes just shaking the bag at the horse can make it really stride out in the trot. A technique that often works well is to give a vigorous shake or two to get the horse going, and then single shakes in time with the trot rhythm to encourage the horse to really power through with the hindlegs. Just make sure you practice a bit ahead of time - you don't want to get run over at the inspection by your mare when someone shakes a bag at her for the first time.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I was feeling a bit sheepish about having to carry a whip with a mare like Diotima who has been shown so extensively in hand, so it's good to know that her previous handlers carried one as well. I don't really need to show a fancy trot, as she is already approved for breeding, but I do need her to trot fast enough that her filly has to do a big trot to keep up. We did some practice runs last week and carrying the whip but not using it seems to work well. Also helps to keep that rambunctious foal from getting too "up close and personal" with me.