The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reckless Driver Kills Two Horses and Injures Riders - No Jail Time

Justice? I don't think so.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/309004.html

Excerpt:

A teenager who admitted driving "like a maniac" when he injured two riders and caused the death of their horses has walked free from court.

Shane Dines was told by a judge at Maidstone Crown Court on 23 July that his nine months' youth custody would be suspended because of his young age and guilty plea.

The crash happened as Diane Hogben and Tammy Coles were riding their horses Benson and Charlie in Ninn Lane on 6 February 2010.

Dines, 19, of Harper Road, Ashford, shot over a hill at between 50-60mph in his Renault Megane RT Sport and ploughed into the horses.

Miss Hogben suffered a fractured vertebra and had to have two rods inserted into her spine. She was in hospital for three weeks following the crash.

Miss Coles suffered cuts and bruises.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Infuriating. I'm sick of children being given 'adult' privileges but not being held responsible when they violate them. How horrible for the horses and their owners. You better believe if that were my horse that was killed by some foolish kid that I would not keep quiet about it.

How awful... that ruling is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    Infuriating. I'm sick of children being given 'adult' privileges but not being held responsible when they violate them. How horrible for the horses and their owners. You better believe if that were my horse that was killed by some foolish kid that I would not keep quiet about it.
    This! I hope the injured girls, or their parents if they're minors, get a good laywer and take it to civil court.
    Last edited by Antaeus; Aug. 8, 2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: haven't had my coffee!
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

He was 19...he's not a child. A lot of military troops are 19 or younger and in Afghanistan and Iraq...they're not considered "children". I was in the Army a year when I was 19 and was not a child.

Brit justice is a joke nowadays and they make excuses to let the thugs off...rob, rape or kill...Oh, poor baby, you just are so misunderstood.

At 19, he's not a minor.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

In the UK? Not surprised.
    They let off an Animal Rights Activist for decapitating a man with a little helicopter. An unarmed man.

They have a powder-puff court system.

Not that ours is perfect or as strict as it should/could be at times. (mainly due to the attorneys)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

How can there be no jail time? I don't believe it. That's horrendous, those poor girls have had their lives changed forever- and that's it?

He's not that young!! Can people write to the judge and complain or anything?!

Unhappy Justice???

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    He was 19...he's not a child. A lot of military troops are 19 or younger and in Afghanistan and Iraq...they're not considered "children". I was in the Army a year when I was 19 and was not a child.

Brit justice is a joke nowadays and they make excuses to let the thugs off...rob, rape or kill...Oh, poor baby, you just are so misunderstood.

At 19, he's not a minor.
    THIS! Boy, I always thought that the UK courts were much more strict than the US courts. But it looks like they have bought into the "Aww he's just a (spoiled) kid" excuse. I figure the kid was pretty well of since he had a car, or was it his parents car?