The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best SOFTEST rubber reins?

Looking for some new rubber reins and HATE the typical ones you find in most tack shops....thick, too nubby and SO stiff and never break in, yuck!

I have one pair that the rubber is butter soft on, bought them used and no idea on the brand. Really want another pair like those but can't find anything I like in local tack shops.

I see some advertised on ebay that say the rubber is over nylon instead of leather so that they are much softer and more pliable. Anyone tried this type? Feedback?

And what about the thinline reins by comparison? They are pretty pricey up here ($130) and I'm not sure I love the totally smooth rubber idea but I've never seen them before.

I'm thinking I'm seeing a knockoff of the thinlines on ebay as well, anyone tried those?

Looking for feedback Oh and under $100 would be much preferred (preferably well under LOL).

I love the NunnFiner softgrip ones. They are not lined with anything and are thus quite thin and extremely pliable. They are wonderful, very popular with eventers. I like them so much I change them from bridle to bridle.

Wear gloves in the rain, though, they can get a little slick with bare hands.

I like the pair of NunnFiner softgrip reins a barnmate uses. I borrowed her bridle once and quite liked them a lot. I hate riding in gloves and these are easy on the hands and have grip even without gloves. They are thinner than normal rubber reins and not stiff at all.

John Nunn has it figured out w those soft grip reins. Wear like iron, extra grippy when wet, and pliable just like a leather rein. Thinline tries but fails.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Try searching the eventing forum for this topic. You'll find tons of feedback there on all the reins mentioned here. For reference, the rubber-over-nylon type that you're describing are called Eventa reins or Equus grip reins.

Wow lots of votes for the NunnFiner huh?! Are these a smooth rubber or are they pebbled like the regular ones?

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Wow lots of votes for the NunnFiner huh?! Are these a smooth rubber or are they pebbled like the regular ones?
    They are pebbled and they are awesome! Absolutely no bulk and still nice and grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    The ones I used were pebbled

Love, love, love the NunnFiner SoftGrip reins! I have two pairs, and they've both held up incredibly well, and are so soft and supple. I hate having to switch them out to laced for hunter shows!

nunnfiner reins are nice. Also, I was at VTO saddlery at an event once and they carried pessoa reins. they are so nice! very flexible. I have little bitty baby hands and I am super picky about anything being stiff. I was impressed! I would try them out.

KL Select has a pair of very soft, very flexible rubber reins. They arent as thick as most brands. I've got a pair and really like them. They are well constructed and come in different widths based on your preference. I was all set on getting a pair of Nunn Finer's till I ran across these on sale. The suppleness that these have made the decision easy.

If your willing to look around, hands down the softest rubber reins I've ever had were a pair of Dominus. I got a Dominus Figure 8 on Ebay for kicks, and when the reins came out of the box I was AMAZED! Still my favorite 7 years later.

Libbys (you'll have to Google, their site isn't there n'more) do a webbing rein that has rubber on the inside, that are v.nice

Bespoke browbands make a bio something rubber rein that looks like the old fashioned rubber reins but the rubber part doesn't have anything in the middle

Nag's Equestrian do synthetic reins
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)

I love the NunnFiner's too. After using them a few times, I can't use anything else! The KL Select ones are nice too, but they're much thicker. Just depends on what you like.
    www.saddlesolution.com
    Your premier source for quality used and consignment saddles

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have a pair of "rubber" reins that I absolutely love for their softness - they almost feel like neoprene? They are not pebbled like regular rubber reins; they are smooth and very grippy when wet.

I *think* they are made by T de T, but I'm not 100% certain about that. If you like, I can check when I go out to the barn. I bought them years ago at a tack shop in Atlanta and they have held up really well despite constant use. I highly recommend them.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I have a pair of "rubber" reins that I absolutely love for their softness - they almost feel like neoprene? They are not pebbled like regular rubber reins; they are smooth and very grippy when wet.
    I have a pair of them! Well I think they're the same, sort of suede type stuff...? Really really nice reins, I got them dirt cheap in a sale
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)

Thin Line. no pebbles. soft and smooth. Even someone as experienced as Dorothy Crowell and believe me she has rode enough xc to know her reins - she recently rode our horse at a clinic and she raved about the reins and wanted to know what they were.

We got them at Rolex for 1/2 the money. Some things make that trip pay for itself. then the fun is all free!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian