The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beval Butet

Hi all

My friend has a Butet with a discolored seat. She sent it in to Beval and they said it was mold, possibly caused by sweat. They kind of cleaned it up a bit but it is still multicolored. We never saw any brand off saddle do this. Has anyone else experienced this with a Butet or any brand/model. She keeps it lightly covered, so it can breathe, and she doesn't seat more than any normal person. The seat does not get wet. She is very unhappy and has a call in to the president of the company, someone actually called her, but she was working and could not talk. She is hoping to speak with him this week.

She wants satisfaction for the $ she spent, it is about 7 years old.

Thanks for all replies!

Is the old leather Butet (it turns light green) or the new, chocolatey dark leather?

The old green ones- that happens. I have two, both are significantly darker where my butt goes, and the space behind my butt has spots on it from rain, sweat, etc... The newer leather? Don't know...

You sit on the seat anyway.... and it'll still be the most comfortable saddle in the world. I wouldn't worry.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

I knew a girl that had a Butet that looked pretty terrible after a few year's of use. It also was a little discolored- sort of a greenish tint to the seat and flaps, if I remember correctly.

That being said, I can personally attest to her extreme lack of care and consideration of the saddle, so if your friend really did take good care, perhaps it's not the same scenario...
    The best is yet to come

I have seen several go this way and that as well as disinterested customer service impacted on my decision to not buy Butet. I have seen seats go terrible gross colors and nothing seems to fix it. Can not comment on the newer darker ones but I can say customer service does not seem to have improved any. My friend was prepared to buy a saddle pronto and they simply did not seem too interested in working to get her what she wanted. She bought elsewhere.

Default Customer service

Incredible to think you could pay thousands for a saddle and their customer service is uncaring. Don't you think they would like to keep you as a customer? Anyone have any Beval contacts- I'd like to talk with them. Perhaps they will come on board here before their name is mud!!!

Quote Originally Posted by workinggirl View Post
    Incredible to think you could pay thousands for a saddle and their customer service is uncaring. Don't you think they would like to keep you as a customer? Anyone have any Beval contacts- I'd like to talk with them. Perhaps they will come on board here before their name is mud!!!
    Exactly... how are their saddles still so popular, given their lack of either quality control or customer satisfaction? Is the fit/ride THAT spectacular that people are willing to turn a blind eye to it? I've never been able to afford a saddle in that price range, but I can't imagine that I would feel okay about getting one if the complaints about customer service are that prevalent :-(

I know two people who had this happen on new Butets they bought several years ago, fairly soon after they got them. It was as if mold was coming from inside the seat to the outside. I don't think Butet ever did anything for them. You can count on older ones, generally, having spots and discolorations, as well as spider cracking on the seat and panels. They are super comfortable and I recently bought a '94, that is in pretty darn good shape for its age. Now, that I finally have my Butet, even if it had to be an ancient one, I have discovered Devoucoux and that is what I am currently coveting. My trainer just bought a new one and it is heavenly to ride in! It was her Butet that made me want a Butet! Why can we never be happy with what we have? Now, that there are so many high quality saddles out there, maybe Butet will have to increase their customer service, because there are other great options out there. They are beautiful (until they start to have their "issues") and comfortable saddles.

I had a much different experience. I idiotically rode in overdyed jeans, on a hot summer day, on my relatively new Butet. It is still bluish. When a rep came to saddle fit for me a couple of years later, he was upset with the blue on the seat and flap and insisted on taking it in to see if it could be corrected. I really felt it was my fault for wearing new overdyed jeans on a light saddle. This was a few years ago, so maybe costumer service has changed.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have ridden in Butets, on and off, for many years. I always end up coming back to them because they just plain work for me.

The older Butet seats had a tendency to turn that kind of greenish color over time. You could prevent it if you were very careful about how you broke it in and oiled it, though. The current generation Butets have different leather seats and don't seem to have that problem at all.

Unfortunately mold will spot any saddle - and that can happen even if the saddle owner seems to take good care - because saddles are frequently exposed to less than ideal conditions, like wet weather, humidity etc. Very few of us only ride in perfect weather and then have the option of putting our tack away in perfectly climate controlled storage.

It doesn't take much for a mold problem to start... especially in the summer. You ride your horse, who sweats in the hot weather, and gets that sweat on the bottom of your saddle. Unless you really scrupulously clean your saddle afterward - including letting it air dry completely - you now have very favorable conditions for mold to grow.

It's true that once you have a mold problem, it's a b*tch to get rid of. Do a search on these boards and you will find tons of threads on the subject. BTW, one of the mistakes people tend to make in dealing with mold on tack is they try to oil the leather heavily to make the spots less noticeable. Sadly if you do not eradicate the mold FIRST, all you are doing by oiling is basically feeding the spores.

At the end of the day, it sounds like the saddle in the OP probably has some cosmetic damage, which is a bummer but likely will not affect it's usefulness from a practical standpoint.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I would never buy a Butet unless they fix the seat/leather issue: I noticed a couple of slightly used Butets at a local tack shop (one was 3-4 yrs old the other maybe 7) - flaps etc were in excellent used condition & the seats were very unevenly faded, spotted, stained, LOTS of spiderweb cracking - when asked the shop person stated that seemd to happen to all the Butets they'd sold, so they would only special order & no longer carried the saddle (or any other Beval saddles).

As Beval seems to know this is/was an issue, there seems no reason why the company could not have addressed this over the years - perhaps if they'd been required to replace all those seats, they might have solved the problem ...
    If OTOH they can still sell sufficient numbers of saddles (& have "endorsements" from people such as George Morris), why bother cutting into your profit line

I have spoken to Beval Customer Service with regard to other products & they have always been very friendly & helpful & seemed knowledgeable.

Default I have never had the problem

I haven't had this problem and I live in a humid climate. I got mine in 2005 and still have it. Just about everyone in the barn I rode at had one and they didn't seem to have the problem either, except for one very old Butet that was left in the tack room and ignored for a year or two. It did get the light green mold, but eventually someone adopted it and cleaned it off. It still had dark spots, but it didn't look too bad and was otherwise just fine.

I used Hydrophane leather dressing on mine when it was new and other than that, I just clean it with Lexol cleaner or wipe it with a damp cloth once a week or so. I also use the Akene dressing that Butet recommends, whenever the leather seems a little dry or stiff. I also keep the Butet saddle cover on it. The Hydrophane did keep the seat from darkening a lot, so the seat on mine is still a lighter color than you would expect. It seems to help waterproof it or something. I've foxhunted in my saddle and gotten some pretty muddy water splashed onto it but it doesn't hurt it as long as I clean it off afterward.

the same thing has happened to mine. i got it in '04 i believe... i LOVE my butet, and i thought i wasn't caring for it properly until i saw this thread! great saddles, too bad about the leather quality...

I have a one I purchased in the late 80's and it has that greenish tint to it. I love it anyway...

I also have one I bought in 2004...it is in the new color, however also has the more fragile seat leather. I ride in jeans and full chaps (I know, I know) but the saddle still looks good. I do seem to ride in the older one more probably because I want the new one to last.

I love them both

As for the original post, it's hard to determine what caused the discoloration.
    If I were in her position, I would take or ship the saddle to Beval and let them see it for an explanation.

It's so hard to know just how diligently a person cares for a saddle over the 7 years they own it. It's important to use the leather care products recommended by the maker, which would be Akene for Butet. Over-oiling the panels is disastrous if those panels are wool-flocked ~ they will absorb the oil and turn to mush. The seat is tough to maintain because of the extended contact, the amount of sweat, etc., horses nuzzling them in the crossties...
    The current Butets use the nicest leather you can get; my friends that have them swear by them and the excellent customer service. I wish I could afford one!

I have a ten year old Butet and I love it, I havent noticed any odd discoloring other than normal wear.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemare View Post
    The current Butets use the nicest leather you can get; my friends that have them swear by them and the excellent customer service. I wish I could afford one!
    Not sure I would hold my breathe for "excellent customer service" from Beval.Not I have only been to the NJ store, so maybe the other ones are outstanding. In my experience once in a while you get someone who actually knows what customer service is but for the most part, they are nothing to write home about. I used to love Beval but now I'm kind of just over it. The last time was the last straw for me-I brought in my custom half chaps that were used off and on for a year and a half (because they had to be sent back so many times to be fixed or taken in) because the zipper busted and they told me it was "normal" and I had to pay to have it fixed. Sure. My ariats that were a POS lasted for 6 years with the same zipper...

Anyway, when I have had issues they have not stood behind their products and have really disspointed me with their CS. So I'm not sure they will do anything to address complaints about the Butet (and FWIW, I saw one on Saturday that was nothing short of lime green in the seat...real turn off for someone saddle shopping in that price range).
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemare View Post
    It's so hard to know just how diligently a person cares for a saddle over the 7 years they own it. It's important to use the leather care products recommended by the maker, which would be Akene for Butet. Over-oiling the panels is disastrous if those panels are wool-flocked ~ they will absorb the oil and turn to mush. The seat is tough to maintain because of the extended contact, the amount of sweat, etc., horses nuzzling them in the crossties...
    I guess I fail to see how its a care issue and not a leather/craftsmanship issue? I know tons of saddles that are 10+ years old that don't have this issue. Hell, my Beval Natural is 15 years old and the seat is still the same color it started with.

I find it hard to believe that all of these people that have green Butets all have the same degree of carelessness when it comes to their saddle. Or that they all soak their seat in oil (who does that? I mean think of all of the breeches you'd ruin) to result in green seat after green seat.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Default Beval and Butet

Hi my name is Mark Walter I work for Beval. To the people making the nice comments about Beval and Butet thank you. I wanted to address this thread and hopefully shed some light on the situation of certain older Butet saddles having some mold problems. As one poster mentioned this can happen to almost any saddle which is basically the case, I have seen this happen on many different brands of saddle and have had to address it in the same manner in which we do on the Butet models. There are two different issues that relate to this thread, some of the older model Butet have the lighter seat leather that we call blond ones(some even get a green tint as someone mentioned) interesting that some people prefer these others do not. This leather is of high quality however after the initial oiling and conditioning and being out in the sun and other conditions seem to get bleached out . There are certain cases with some of these saddles that had more prevalence of mold problems I think perhaps because of the light color of the seat leather and some times with sweat or perhaps how they are stored or even cared for. Another possibility is something used in the tanning or currier process of the leather really hard to know as leather is a natural material and after speaking with the leather Currier they had no explanation. I am in no way trying to make excuses for the leather just bringing up the facts as I know them. ( The poster that states that Beval has not addressed this problem with all due respect we have we no longer use the leather that seems to get lighter with use which seams to have fixed the problem the newest material turns and stays a dark brown similar to the solid leather on the flaps and skirts) Also we always try to rectify any problem if possible. Beval has generally been able to make customers happy with this by trying to get rid of the mold and then blending the seat color by conditioning the leather. In some rare extreme cases we have had to replace the seats with the newer material we use today that does not seem to have the prevalence of this problem. Another fact about the material that Butet uses in the case of the two different types of leather used is some of the finest and most expensive material available today and is actually produced in France.

To the last poster Jersey Fresh I am certainly disappointed that you did not have the best Customer service with Beval we are a family business and we really do try and care about our customers. If there is any thing I can do please don’t hesitate to contact me

Mark 203 966 7828. mwalter@beval.com

Or the other poster that wanted a Beval contact please do not hesitate to call me.
    I am a member of the Society of Master Saddler’s and Qualified saddle fitter as well as having more than 30 years in the industry I love to talk about saddles with customers Have worked here in America and in many other countries with both Saddlery ,Tanning and Currier industry much easier to talk about then write about the subject for me anyway.

Thank you, Mark

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    Not sure I would hold my breathe for "excellent customer service" from Beval.Not I have only been to the NJ store, so maybe the other ones are outstanding. In my experience once in a while you get someone who actually knows what customer service is but for the most part, they are nothing to write home about. I used to love Beval but now I'm kind of just over it. The last time was the last straw for me-I brought in my custom half chaps that were used off and on for a year and a half (because they had to be sent back so many times to be fixed or taken in) because the zipper busted and they told me it was "normal" and I had to pay to have it fixed. Sure. My ariats that were a POS lasted for 6 years with the same zipper...

Anyway, when I have had issues they have not stood behind their products and have really disspointed me with their CS. So I'm not sure they will do anything to address complaints about the Butet (and FWIW, I saw one on Saturday that was nothing short of lime green in the seat...real turn off for someone saddle shopping in that price range).
    I haven't ever dealt with the NJ store, so I can't speak to the quality of the service there, but I am in the New Canaan store on a rather frequent basis. You may want to deal with NC instead? Less convenient, maybe, but I have never had anything but excellent service there... including bringing my custom half chaps in to have the broken zipper replaced, which was done for me at N/C with an apology for my inconvenience.

Given that they have changed the leather used on the Butet seats, I don't know that it's fair to say that Beval/Butet has ignored the issue. They do seem to have addressed it some time ago.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have a 1988 and a 1991 Butet, take good care of my tack and never plan to change saddles. My saddles have not had any of the problems described and have only received GOOD service.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875