The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Leib Guest

Default Miracle cure for Scratches!

I had tried everything for scratches: 2 different vets, 1 call to OSU's vet center, Penicillin, Doxy, Dexemethazone, athlete's foot cream, zinc oxide, hydrocortizone, antibiotic ointment, 4 different surgical washes, vinegar, bleach, and hand sanitizer. Nothing got rid of them.

I had seen posts about sauerkraut, but the smell of it makes me gag, so I was not about to go near it and it sounded like the craziest thing I had ever heard of. I called another vet and asked if they had any unusual remedies, and they said sauerkraut for 2-3 days.

I finally gave in and tried it yesterday afternoon and wouldn't you know it worked! I took it off this afternoon because I was worried he might have a bad reaction to it, but he didn't. The scabs are gone, and the spots aren't sore, and his leg has never looked so clean.

I slathered it in hand sanitizer to make sure it's gone once and for all. If I need to reapply the sauerkraut I will, but at least I know how to get rid of it.

I ordered copper and zinc from Uckelele to hopefully help prevent another episode.

How to apply: Place the horse's hoof in a bag, vet-wrap the bag to the hoof, cover the sole of the hoof with duct tape, fill the bag with a can of sauerkraut, and finish wrapping with vet-wrap.

Hummm, that would make me want a Heiniken!! Good job on your part.

I have always had awesome results with special formula (it is for cattle- ask your vet for it) and if it is really bad special formula + benadine scrub

Quote Originally Posted by Leib View Post
    I had tried everything for scratches: 2 different vets, 1 call to OSU's vet center, Penicillin, Doxy, Dexemethazone, athlete's foot cream, zinc oxide, hydrocortizone, antibiotic ointment, 4 different surgical washes, vinegar, bleach, and hand sanitizer. Nothing got rid of them.

I had seen posts about sauerkraut, but the smell of it makes me gag, so I was not about to go near it and it sounded like the craziest thing I had ever heard of. I called another vet and asked if they had any unusual remedies, and they said sauerkraut for 2-3 days.

I finally gave in and tried it yesterday afternoon and wouldn't you know it worked! I took it off this afternoon because I was worried he might have a bad reaction to it, but he didn't. The scabs are gone, and the spots aren't sore, and his leg has never looked so clean.

I slathered it in hand sanitizer to make sure it's gone once and for all. If I need to reapply the sauerkraut I will, but at least I know how to get rid of it.

I ordered copper and zinc from Uckelele to hopefully help prevent another episode.

How to apply: Place the horse's hoof in a bag, vet-wrap the bag to the hoof, cover the sole of the hoof with duct tape, fill the bag with a can of sauerkraut, and finish wrapping with vet-wrap.
    Interesting that it is sauerkraut. I had heard just cabbage would do it. Cool!

Weird. I've also had excellent results with raw, unrefined shea butter. Not many people have that on hand though (I used to make soap). The refined shea butter didn't work - the raw stuff smells like smoked banana peels and I simply slathered it on and 3 days later it was gone and almost completely healed.

I also use a cattle antibiotic covered in zinc oxide to get rid of scratches. Worked in less than a week on a horse that was getting lymphangitis from his scratches. The antibiotic is LA 200 and can be bought from Tractor Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Leib View Post

I'm not surprised the sauerkraut worked. It probably changed the pH of your horse's skin making it a hostile environment for the organisms. If it flares up again, you might want to try tea tree oil. My BO uses it and it works great.

I was treating with a daily spray of benzalkonium chloride (Fung-Away by Horseman's Dream) and that very very mild antiseptic was not really working... weeks passed...

Slapped some MTG on there one day, and the next day the scratches were gone.

Hm!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by Mariska View Post
    I'm not surprised the sauerkraut worked. It probably changed the pH of your horse's skin making it a hostile environment for the organisms. If it flares up again, you might want to try tea tree oil. My BO uses it and it works great.
    Tea tree oil is photo-toxic and should be used with care when the horse is turned out...sunburned skin isn't the end of the world but it's uncomfortable at best!

Interesting... who in the world would have ever thought of that? You think one day someone had some sauerkraut and said...hmmmm let me see if this works? hahahaha!

What's worked best for me is a mixture of desitin, triple antibiotic, athletes foot cream and dex.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

OP: Glad the 'kraut worked for you.

I find the reason scratches won't resolve is not so much a case of them being stubborn, but that the caregiver just can't leave it alone. Look, the reason the scratches won't heal is because people try to wash it daily, pick pick pick away causing more irritation, and then rub like crazy with a terry towel.

Ferpityssake, use a good cleansing soap like betadine, without scrubbing or picking, dry thoroughly (preferably with a hair dryer), and then apply your ointment of choice. Most importantly, keep the horse's legs dry and off dewy grass, mud, etc.. Limit baths. Re apply ointment twice daily and only wash 3x a week.

I once worked with an intern who insisted on having the scratches scrubbed twice daily, cold hosed, then (horrors) WRAPPED in between. That case went from bad to worse to nearly catastrophic in the weeks she putzed around with it. Took an intervention from senior vets but once proper treatment ensued it was cured within a week. No miracle... just leave it ALONE.

NOLVASAN.
    Wash with Nolvasan solution and leave it alone.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I've been telling folks about sauerkraut for scratches here and elsewhere for years. It is CHEAP! It is effective! Less that $1 for a can of no name here.

I am not buying anything else to treat scratches but luckily I have not had a case for years.

When you have a field full of horses that need treated the cost is important.

I think you'll find the chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) solution is cheaper.
    http://www.allivet.com/Chlorhexidine...on-p/30159.htm
    At $12.99 a gallon for the solution and a dilution rate of 1oz to a gallon of water, that would be $0.10 for a gallon's worth of treatment. You would certainly need less than that to treat a horse. It's handy stuff to have around for all sorts of stuff including rainrot.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Equus Magazine, March 2011 issue, refers to sauerkraut, says its acidic and salty properties will kill organisms.

The article is a good one, discussing the causes of dermatitis and treatments for each. I tried to get a link to the article, but it doesn't show up on the Equisite search.

Nolvasan seems to be the treatment of choice, although it won't work if the cause is fungal or vasculitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I think you'll find the chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) solution is cheaper.
    http://www.allivet.com/Chlorhexidine...on-p/30159.htm
    At $12.99 a gallon for the solution and a dilution rate of 1oz to a gallon of water, that would be $0.10 for a gallon's worth of treatment. You would certainly need less than that to treat a horse. It's handy stuff to have around for all sorts of stuff including rainrot.
    Hmmmm...I never even thought of using it ON the horse (I have it on hand from a case of strangles last year)! Do you simply dilute it and spray it on? This sounds like the easiest - and cheapest option if that's the case. I just clipped the legs on our haflinger for the first time, and lo-and behold he's got scratches. I'm going to give it a try.

so you bagged the leg, covering the sole of the hoof, and poured the SK in?

how long did you let it stand?

did you pick before?

did you wrap or wash off after the treatment?

do you think this would be a good preventative? perhaps like a monthly treatment?

Sauerkraut is produced by fermenting cut up cabbage. The resulting yeast and bacteria and their byproduct lactic acid feed on whatever substrate provided and in the case of scratches - the inflamed and raw tissue of horse scratches - heel/pastern.

Yes, sauerkraut stinks but as a cheap home made remedy it can compete with commercial chemicals.

I'd put it on, leave for few hours or maybe overnight but then keep the area dry and clean, if dry not possible while turn out or training - smudge some thin vaseline in the pastern and wipe dry and clean after exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Hmmmm...I never even thought of using it ON the horse (I have it on hand from a case of strangles last year)! Do you simply dilute it and spray it on? This sounds like the easiest - and cheapest option if that's the case. I just clipped the legs on our haflinger for the first time, and lo-and behold he's got scratches. I'm going to give it a try.
    Yup - dilute and spray. Of course you could go spend a ton and buy the ointment !

Pfizer/Fort Dodge make all kinds of Nolvasan branded chlorhexidine products; https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/site...tsLanding.aspx
    Click on horses.

Now it is off patent, other manufacturers are free to produce the same for a lot less money
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I like the chlorhexadine cleaner Hibiclens

http://www.hibiclens.com

Always available at Walgreen's etc and though not cheap, a little goes a long way.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB