The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick Thrush questions

Using thrush buster -directions say use once. Everyone tells me to use every day for a week. How do i know its working? The farrier pared away part of the frog & found it.
    Also- how long before the slight lameness goes away?

I am ignorant on this subject so any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Anyone's experiences are useful. I have never dealt with this issue before and appreciate any practical wisdom.

Well, your farrier just exposed the infected tissue and I sure would not dump a caustic substance (means it can burn) every day on that area when it is already tender in defiance of the label on the product.

TB does work and works well but overuse can make them sore, especially on newly exposed tissue. So does excessive prodding and poking the area.

Once a week and keep the foot clean and dry. Soreness will have to grow out as the crud dies, maybe 5-10 days or so you will be good to go worst case.

You could probably use it every day on a healthier hoof with no newly exposed tissue and that is probably why you are getting that "advice". But I never have and never would. Stuff won't die any quicker, hoof won't grow any faster and it might make them sore.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The directions on Thrushbuster are once a week or twice a week during wet conditions as a preventative. Yes, it's going to burn a bit on the fresh tissue. But it will kill the thrush. So will air. I'd keep the foot clean and picked out once or twice daily and once it's toughened up (2-3 days) I'd hit it with the Thrushbuster. There are less caustic things out there but they may take longer to clear it up.

But I am confused. You are saying how long before the slight lameness goes away. Is the thrush so bad your horse is lame from it?? That's a BAD case of thrush if it is. If it's the soles and frog are tender from the trim you are using the wrong product and need Durasole.

Horse was slightly off on LF before farrier came. Farrier was over a week late but I waited for him. He pared away and found a nickel sized area he said was thrush. No odor, not gooey. He told me it would easily make him off. Said use thrushbuster to clear it up. I used it according to directions and then was told by others to use daily. It has been a week and he is still a little off on that LF.
    Maybe its not just the thrush.....

thanks for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by Trees4U View Post
    Horse was slightly off on LF before farrier came. Farrier was over a week late but I waited for him. He pared away and found a nickel sized area he said was thrush. No odor, not gooey. He told me it would easily make him off. Said use thrushbuster to clear it up. I used it according to directions and then was told by others to use daily. It has been a week and he is still a little off on that LF.
    Maybe its not just the thrush.....

thanks for your replies
    get your vet put as soundsmore like an abcess and need treating
    also change your farrier to one that will be more helpful
    go here www.horseshoes.com its full of farriers and they will help you and also might gain abetter one from there
    you might want to add pictures so they can see the foot

I would use Tomorrow (cow mastitis treatment) on the thrush. Its available at your local TSC store.
    Clears it right up!
    I would not continue using TB on it.

No odor? Not gooey? Not Thrush?

Actually sounds like it could be a corn or something-an abcess would be reactive to pressue and most of them are real lame real fast with them. They do get corns just like we do and for some of the same reasons.

Thrush CAN make them sore if it gets widespread enough but this one has been a little off LF for over a week? Did not improve with the farrier visit and the diagnosis of Thrush with none of the characteristic symptoms???

Um...I would not push the panic button just yet, give him a week or so and if there is no improvement, seek another opinion. Since there is something in that hoof, be it a corn or an abcess or even a bad bruise? It will grow out and this is one of the few times I think you can wait on a vet visit. Just rest the horse and keep that hoof clean and dry.

But you do need to think about another farrier.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks for the input.