The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How to describe this saddle

Can anyone advise me on the best way to categorize my saddle for a sale ad? It has adjustable flaps that can go from forward jumping, to middle AP, to straight dressage position.

Would you describe this as an Eventing, AP, or Dressage saddle?

And so that this is not misinterpreted as a sale ad, I will not answer any PM's regarding the saddle or give a price, etc.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I would call it an all purpose saddle, because it is. Describe it exactly as you described it here. Give brand name and give its official size. Then measure it yourself to be sure that is accurate. If it isn't, say its a 17.5 inch saddle but I measured it as a definite 18". Give the length of the flaps, as well, because those are so much a part of this saddle, it will influence what rider it will fit. Include a picture. Most people don't consider a used saddle they can't see.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Do you know the maker? / model? I would also put it in a category of 'all purpose' for listings if you must choose one...but if you don't have to 'choose' one, I"d describe it as the maker does?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Is it a thoroughgood?

I love mine, you'll probably get a good price for it too very comfy!!
    If so, you describe it as it is, I think a fair number of people know about them - I would call it an a/p if you have to pick a category
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Only the County Drespri comes to mind-- flap "swings" into different positions. Is that what you meant?

Otherwise and in general: Yes, describe it as an AP saddle. If you give the brand and name, the right buyers (who already know the saddle) will show up. Many sellers ad text from the manufacturer's website. That can help if you want to fine-tune your description or also decide whether to describe this as an eventing saddle, or the shape of it's seat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

No matter what brand, I suggest you go check on the manufacturer website and pick the description there!

The Drespri saddle is a 'multi-purpose' saddle as opposed to the usual 'all-purpose' who is often a 'no-purpose'.

Is it a Wow saddle?

"multi purpose, adjustable flap saddle. X inch seat, Y width gullet Z colour"

or words to that effect, with pics of the saddle in it's different states
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)