The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Rather Silly Turnout Question

Maybe this will be moot, and the horse in question will sell before cubbing starts, but....

I have a horse who will start hunting this year if he sticks around long enough. He has some skin issues, so I always ride him with a sheepskin pad to his skin. I usually only use a half pad, or occasionally a half pad with a square pad on top.

Question is, is the half pad only acceptable, or should I get us a full contoured pad? I do worry about his comfort a bit, and wonder if a pad that is under the whole saddle will be more comfortable for several hours of hunting. And because this horse is for sale, I'd rather not spend a week's pay on an expensive saddle pad...would one that is lined with sheepskin at directly under the panels (half pad like) then quilted the rest be appropriate?

Rule #1 is, use, or take, what is right for you and your horse. If a half pad is what works, use it! That which is necessary for you and your horse to have a happy and healthy day in the field trumps anyone's notion of 'turnout.'

Thank you, Beverley. This is pretty much what I was thinking, and considering it is a trim, neat half pad, I couldn't imagine it would truly offend (I think the hunt I go out with his pretty hard to offend, though!).

My hunt is somewhat formal and a half pad is fine. But if you are ever in doubt about something, a call to the secretary can never hurt.

Countdown to cubbing.....have a great season!!!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Um....ask the Master!

(half pad is just fine )
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Default Ah yes... back in the day... and I remember that

So it scares me a bit. But if you research old hunting or show photos, you'll see a lot with no pad at all. I would think you'd be fine.

I'm not sure that the tack requirements for a Corinthian class list any description about the saddle pad. Perhaps someone else could link to a description and see if it does, because that would be acceptable on a formal day, so again, if you are cubbing, I would think you'd be fine.

Asking the MFH or the Hunt Secretary, or a respected Senior member would however, insure that you would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    Um....ask the Master!

(half pad is just fine )
    I was going to ask the Master! I was just curious what others would say. Of course, the Master's going to use him as HER horse if I'm not careful! (Actually, that would look great on his resume!).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Of course, the Master's going to use him as HER horse if I'm not careful!
    Too true, and he is so very handsome! Either Master might steal him!

Seriously though, the only thing that isn't encouraged are square pads, although a white one would be preferable to colors, rainbows, unicorns! Half pads, shaped pads (of discreet color) are totally fine.
    Futhermore, remember, for Sept (other than Opening Cub) attire is breeches, boots, polo shirt (conservatively colored) and no need for coats until October cubbing!
    Last edited by KateDB; Aug. 6, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Default *sigh*

*someday*

*sniffle*

someday.

.... I'm remembering why i avoid reading this forum.... it makes me want to do things that are not available to me right now

enjoy it please.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    Too true, and he is so very handsome! Either Master might steal him!

Seriously though, the only thing that isn't encouraged are square pads, although a white one would be preferable to colors, rainbows, unicorns! Half pads, shaped pads (of discreet color) are totally fine.
    Futhermore, remember, for Sept (other than Opening Cub) attire is breeches, boots, polo shirt (conservatively colored) and no need for coats until October cubbing!
    Damnit...I'll put away my rainbows and unicorns pad, then.

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile You will have to leave the falsies at home, sigh

Oh yeah, Yellow Britches,

That still leaves your sparkly white pad option.

Can't use Vernon's alleged dressage/eventing false tail extensions, either. They might get tangled up in the underbrush. He could have a train of thistle bushes to brighten him up. Just the thing for horses behind him. Of course, the fox might use it for cover...

( I hope he is a Star in the hunt field, love for him to find his passion out in the trees and bushes with us.)

Have Fun!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    .... I'm remembering why i avoid reading this forum.... it makes me want to do things that are not available to me right now

enjoy it please.
    Hey now, turn that frown upside down.

I've got a horse for you if you ever want to come out. Maybe you could come up for one of these COTH get togethers sometime.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Hey now, turn that frown upside down.

I've got a horse for you if you ever want to come out. Maybe you could come up for one of these COTH get togethers sometime.
    ha.. that is a very nice offer, but that would require me to be fit enough to keep up.. and with all this blimey heat it feels like I'll NEVER get to ride. I was noticing the other day that the equines are starting to match thehumans around here... fat and jiggly >

I miss riding. I hate it when life gets in the way of pursuits of happiness.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Smile

Catersun,

If you dream to want to ride with us, we CAN fairy godmother the wish.

We love to enable and spread the joy. Talk with us, and we will help you make it happen.

Every out of shape horse starts to move when the weather improves. You can, too. It may be inside a building, while you are doing something mundane, like housework, sitting at a computer, or chasing small children. It is possible in small bits of time...
    Intermediate Riding Skills

ha.. that is a very nice offer, but that would require me to be fit enough to keep up.. and with all this blimey heat it feels like I'll NEVER get to ride. I was noticing the other day that the equines are starting to match thehumans around here... fat and jiggly >
    I hear ya, sister. I had all good intentions of getting up and riding at first light. Which would work if I didn't have to use that time mowing the pastures instead. I'm hoping Houdini's fat girth (like his mama, he has clothes in several sizes) will fit him when I tack up next.

You know, there are several of us here in the Independent Republic who might could carpool. Not this fall, but you know, one day.

P'aint, are you going to the sept 24 hunt weekend at hunter's rest?

having a target date and not having to worry about the logistics of taking a horse would be a huge incentive to me. (it's not that the horse doesn't travel ok... it's that I don't travel ok taking the horse WITH me lol) For poo and giggles I tried on my hunt coat.... after more than 5 years it still fits.(damn thing needs to be cleaned something feirce though)

for a large variety of reasons I don't DO early morning rides, I'm more likely to turn the lights on and ride at night, but I haven't even been able to talk myself into that.

wonder if we could talk huntjumpSC into hosting a faux hunt or at least a hunter pace this winter....

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Catersun,

If you dream to want to ride with us, we CAN fairy godmother the wish.

We love to enable and spread the joy. Talk with us, and we will help you make it happen.

Every out of shape horse starts to move when the weather improves. You can, too. It may be inside a building, while you are doing something mundane, like housework, sitting at a computer, or chasing small children. It is possible in small bits of time...

Whicker, Thanks for the offer and wee kick in the toosh. I have a month before my 29th birthday... my goal is to loose 15 lbs between now and then.
    My oldest(5) did cardio kickboxing with me today while the (2yo) whined to be picked up, and the (7monthold) laughed at his big sister and I.... we'll see if that continues. I've decided that the time is being trimmed from my computer time to make this happen, so if I'm scarce around the boards that would be why

Catersun, if you decide to head up to Hunter's Rest in September, I will see you there. if you send a pm to HR, I'm sue she can let you know if she has the right horse for you (probably) and whether your fitness would be up to hilltopping with us beginners (again, probably). After all, even if you can barely walk the next day, it is SO worth it!

P'aint, are you going to the sept 24 hunt weekend at hunter's rest?
    No. I would love to go, but I've decided I have had enough of being trailer-less. So I'm saving my pennies towards a horse trailer right now. Maybe in the spring.