The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scratches

Everyone seems to have their favorite Scratches remedy. I've tried desitin, desitin with steroids, desitin with antiboitics, desitin with steroids and antibiotics, white lightning, and a few other things... But I've yet to totally get rid of my draft cross' scratches... seems like I'm making progress, that for one reason or another, I've missed a few days and - they pop up again - never totally gotten rid of them in almost 2 years.
    Any suggestions - that don't cost a fortune

One of my boarders swears by the following, and it seems to be working well;

Clip hair

Scrub daily with Novalson (or similar)

Mix Monostat 7, Desitin, furox, and a bit of triple antibiotic. Apply daily to scratches after scrubbed.

Takes devotion, but she has had success. I tried this on a case of scratches I caught fairly early, and it is almost clear. Sure wish I had had this formula to try 12 years ago when we battled chronic scratches on a broodmare we adopted. Never got rid of hers, even with expensive antibiotics from the vet.

Good luck!
    Carol

www.HorseGiftsandArt.com offers a unique selection of horse art, jewelry, gifts, plush horses and equestrian home decor

Muck Itch. Every day. And maybe a copper supplement.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Chlorhexidine. That's it. Apply 2x day (if needed - you may only need to do it once a day) and in a couple of weeks the scratches are gone. Just use some cotton balls to make sure you get in between the scabs - apply liberally. It is the ONLY thing that has ever worked on my gelding. He has one white foot and that's the only place he has a problem. I get the stuff from my vet for super cheap.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Draft + scratches that won't go away, I'd seriously be investigating the "draft horse disease" of chronic progressive lymphedema.

If you rule that out, my next question is - what's he eating?

Draft + scratches that won't go away, I'd seriously be investigating the "draft horse disease" of chronic progressive lymphedema.

If you rule that out, my next question is - what's he eating?

My favorite mix to use after washing and thoroughly drying the area is equal parts -azole wormer (i.e. thiabendazole), dmso, and nitrofurazone. I've only had to deal with scratches a few times -and the first case was really bad- and this cleared it up in a hurry. I saw improvement in just a couple of days.

"White Lightning" worked for my horse after I tried several other concoctions.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Muck Itch. Every day. And maybe a copper supplement.
    Where do you get your Muck Itch? I used it successfully for a number of years and was able to get it locally. Now no one has heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I've got some scratches problems but it's seasonal for me. If it hasn't gone away in 2 years, I'd suspect something else.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    My favorite mix to use after washing and thoroughly drying the area is equal parts -azole wormer (i.e. thiabendazole), dmso, and nitrofurazone. I've only had to deal with scratches a few times -and the first case was really bad- and this cleared it up in a hurry. I saw improvement in just a couple of days.
    I like this mix too! Just use gloves when applying, you kind of have to really smush it on since it attains a kind of slippery, slimy consistency. I also use a betadine scrub to wash it first, rub off any loose scabs, and make sure it's as dry as possible before putting on the goo. You can wrap/cover it for turn out no problem.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Otomax (stuff for dog's ear infections) works really well. It isn't too expensive.

Clean off the legs with Betadine. Clip them, I like to do the surgical clip personally.

Put the Otomax on the legs daily (where the scabs are). Repeat the scrubbing daily before you put on the Otomax.

There is a chance that you are reinfecting your horse if you use the same clipper blades, brushes etc on the horse. I would wash every polo, boot, brush, clipper blade daily and not use it on another horse until it is cleared up for at least a week to be on the safe side.

I'd disinfect the brushes etc when I washed them.

You might also have the scratches bacterial in your dirt. There are certain farms and show grounds which seem to carry the stuff that causes scratches. So, while you are clearing up the existing infection, the horse is getting reinfected.

You could wrap with vet wrap to keep your horse's legs clean while riding and turning out for a few weeks after it clears to see if that helps with the infection. If he gets the scratches back after you stop the vet wrap, then you might have it in your soil. In that case, you'll have to be really diligent with washing your horse's legs every day.

I used EQyss microtek spray on two horses with scratches this spring... after using various goops for weeks. Two applications and the scratches were on their way to being gone.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

My horse has chronic scratches it seems. Only thing I've found to work is:
    scrub legs
    clip
    mix in equal parts: triple antibiotic, jock itch cream, desitin and hydrocortisone

You have to apply it everyday.

I bought a older wonderful broodmare many years ago who came with chronic scratches. I would wash her with chlorohexadine soap (sp), dry and put on Animax ( panalog steriod cream)......It was the only thing to control/get rid of the scratches.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Had both my horses get HORRIBLE scratches after moving them to a grassy pasture that got very dewy in the mornings. Unfortunately at the time, I was only able to get to the barn once a week, and unable to change the conditions they were in. I searched high and low for a cure and found about 50 ideas! So I decided to experiment a bit. One horse got soaked with Shapeleys MTG. The other horse got a different treatment each week, sometimes different treatments on different legs to see how well they worked. Remember though, these applications were a week apart.

The MTG horse showed a HUGE improvement after just 2 applications, and by the 4th one his legs were completely healed, not a bump on them, covered in shiney, healthy skin and hair.

Horse #2 got treatments of Desitin/AntiFungal/Antibiotic ointment (did NOTHING, in fact it got worse), Hydrogen Peroxide (helped slightly), Saurkraut (although since I couldn't bandage him per the instructions, I just soaked his legs with the juice, didn't help), scrubbing with Betadine and Dandruff shampoo(the dandruff shampoo DID help loosen the granules), and finally Scarlex (helped a bit). Still nothing was made any sort of significant difference.

Finally was able to get ahold of another bottle of MTG (I had run out) and soaked his legs. Soaked them again 3 days later and TA-DAH! Made a huge difference. Just did his 3rd application again 3 days later and am expecting them to be cleared up completely in no time.

It also cleared up the skin gunk that was covering their faces and help healed up their scratched flaky manes and tails. AND added quite a bit of hair growth overnight to a couple of scrapes. In the end it was much more cost effective than the other products, easier to deal with and just plain WORKED. I'm now a huge fan of this stuff!!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT