The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blade size 10 = body clip, right? What do you use other sizes for?

I need to buy replacement clipper blades. Size 10 is the correct size for a general body clip, correct? What do you use other sizes for (which sizes and which tasks)?

Also - I'm thinking about getting a wide #10 blade. Do you think I'd need a regular-width #10 to go with it, for body parts that aren't so... well, wide?

Basically tell me what you do and why so I can learn from it! Thanks.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The larger the number, the shorter the cut. So a #40 blade is a surgical cut, down to the skin.

911!

NO not 10s for the general body clip. You'll get too close. Try 8s and see if those match what you get with your big clippers.

Or, I should say, this is how I do it and get a good match. Monster Clipmasters for the "flat prairie" expanses of body and small clippers with 8s for the nooks and crannies. I alternate between pairs and sections so that horse and equipment all stay happy.

You can clip with 10s or any other blade if it's the only one you'll use. But your mistakes will be more obvious with a close-cutting (higher number) blade. The wide "harvester"-like blade you'd put on your little clippers will make them work hard and get hot. Your clip job could take a while with just the one set. (Ask me how I know and why I'm still friends with the chick who asked me to help her clip her horse this way....)
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have never seen an 8 blade-but now I will be on the lookout. I use the 10 wide clip on blades on my A-5's and the 10 regular for the head and legs. If I am using my Clipmasters for the big parts, the 10 regular does cut a little closer. When I was shwing arab halter, we would blend the legs with 15 or 30's and do the nose and ears with the 40's -gasp, I know.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I body clip with either a 7 blade or a T-84. I personally don't like clips with a 10 blade it is just too short. Personally I find a 7 blade to end up looking like a nice summer coat.

It does depend a bit on your climate, discipline (maybe) and what your going for or prefer with your horses.

I'm in CA and would most commonly use these;

10 - for body clipping, fetlocks, general use
    30 - for muzzle, bridle paths
    T84 for touch ups on body clips - about a month after body clip if they need
    to be touched up for a show or something

A wide 10 will be handy for body clipping, so I would get that if you plan on doing that frequently.

As stated above, a 10 blade should only be used to body clip if you're a quite good clipper. Closer the clip, the more mistakes you will see. That said, the 10 gives a much more show ready and smooth clip than a 7,T84, etc. IMO.

Everyone I know body clips with the #10

Picked up the Andis AGC Super 2-Speed last year with a regular 10 blade & a wide 10 blade, would not really want to do an entire body clip with the narrower blade - didn't notice the clippers worked much harder with the wide 10 ...

I body clipped with a #10 my first time clipping. http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...untitled-1.jpg
    Very far from show-ready but it turned out nice enough that I didn't feel like I had to hide her under a blanket for a few weeks.

I also body clip with a #7, I think the little bit of extra length looks better. I've also got on hand 10, 15, 30 and 45 (which I've only seen used for clipping around injuries/wounds/stitches by the vet, but for some odd reason it came with my clipper).
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I use a 7F against the grain for the body. 10 for muzzles and inside ears. Then a 40 for bridle paths or designs
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I body clip with a #15. A #10 is as long as I want to go. I've done #7 and longer on client request & IMHO it looked terrible.

Faces are a combo of #15, #30 and #40, and sometimes a #50. Muzzle/bridlepath/inside of ears are shortest, cheeks are longest, and everything else is a matter of blending those together.

All in reverse (against the grain).

ETA- Found it! Here's my horse done w/ a #15 about a week before this pic (but not my kid!)
    http://www.ferraraphoto.com/2007Yout.../07YN_4495.htm
    Last edited by gaitedincali; Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add link

I body clip with a 7, 10 for legs (white markings) chins and ears, and a 15 for muzzles.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    911!

NO not 10s for the general body clip. You'll get too close.
    What? That's so interesting, must be a regional variation in preferences I guess.

Arabian, Morgan, and ASB people in my area never body clip with anything else than a 10. Fresh 10s, multiple sets of blades, clean horse, and never clip less than 2 or 3 weeks before a show.

I use a 50 for muzzle and eyes, blend with a 40 then 30 then 15 for the rest of the horse's face, 30 or 40 for ears, and 40 for bridlepath.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    What? That's so interesting, must be a regional variation in preferences I guess.

Arabian, Morgan, and ASB people in my area never body clip with anything else than a 10. Fresh 10s, multiple sets of blades, clean horse, and never clip less than 2 or 3 weeks before a show.

I use a 50 for muzzle and eyes, blend with a 40 then 30 then 15 for the rest of the horse's face, 30 or 40 for ears, and 40 for bridlepath.
    Definitely a disciplinary difference. Those guys want 'em quite naked. I'm thinking show hunters and their ilk.

Hell, you can clip the whole shebang with a #40 if you want. But that "blending" Grataan mentions takes some skill. Take note before you start on a smooth side and think it's all going to be great.

The rest is key, too: sharp blades and very clean horse go a long way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Definitely a disciplinary difference. Those guys want 'em quite naked. I'm thinking show hunters and their ilk.
    Every H/J and dressage horse I've clipped for people has been with a #10. It's what they asked for.

Clipped many a show horse. I use T84's on the body, head, and legs, then 40's for the muzzle, ears, and bridle path. Easy and looks great.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Default body clip

I use a T84 on the body, 10 on the head & legs and a 40 on the muzzle and interior ears.

gaitedincali, could you explain how you do the blending? I can do basic face clipping muzzles but regarding blending I need tips for my boy

I usually clip my Arabian with a 10 blade so I agree with Grataan there. Must be a breed/discipline thing. So true about 2-3 weeks prior, too. I generally want my horse clipped shorter and then let it grow out a bit (incase of unsightly lines) and then they will really shine in the 2 weeks before the show!

I use a 7F to body clip with. I think a 10 takes them too short.
    A 40 is for muzzles, ears and bridle paths (basicly shaving them)
    I use a 10 for legs, tails, trimming face hair (or use a 7F for that).