The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scientific Study Shows Reindeer Fur to be Best Horse Pad

Published in the peer-reviewed Equine Veterinary Journal.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...75382/abstract

Sixteen sound horses of different breeds and ages were ridden on a treadmill at walk and sitting trot. The horses were wearing a dressage saddle with a fitting saddle tree and 4 different saddle pads (gel, leather, foam and reindeer fur) successively. For comparison, measurements were made without any saddle pad. Right forelimb motion was used to synchronise the pressure data with the stride cycles. A pressure mat was used under the saddle pad to collect the kinetic data. Maximum overall force (MOF) and the pressure distribution in longitudinal and transversal direction were calculated to identify differences between the measurements with and without saddle pads.

A significant decrease in MOF was interpreted as improved saddle fit, and a significant increase as worsened saddle fit. Only the reindeer fur pad significantly decreased the MOF from 1005 N to 796 N at walk and from 1650 N to 1437 N at trot compared to without pad measurements. None of the saddle pads increased the MOF significantly when compared to the data without saddle pad. The pressure distribution in longitudinal and transversal direction was also improved significantly only by the reindeer fur pad at trot compared to no pad.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

While novel, I am not sure this is a good study. I wish I could read the whole thing.

Why compare reindeer fur to foam? Why not sheepskin or something similar? What kind of "foam"? Was it raw foam or did it have a covering, and if so what kind of covering?

Did they use the same rider for all? How many times did they test each horse with a given pad and rider? How much time did they allow between tests -- in other words, was the horse more warmed up for the 2nd or 3rd ride?

Scientific Study Shows Reindeer Fur to be Best Horse Pad......not for the reindeer.

I'm not sure reindeer fur is all that widely available...

Phil-I would be this was a study geared specifically towards testing the reindeer for some reason, and that is why it's reindeer instead of sheepskin.

I would bet they did the tests on separate days with the same rest period - if it was done properly.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Another voice questioning the absence of sheepskin in this test.

That, to me, would be a logical inclusion.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

wont make Santa happy to hear either.....

What made them choose reindeer fur? It's not really something available to the average horse owner.

Maybe some of my relatives in Finland can hook me up with a reindeer fur saddle pad...
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

There are a few million running around in North Sweden, Finland and Norway...the life blood of the....Laps? Sumi?

Regardless. They have enough to supply the few riders with some fur, no different than the sheep skins from New Zealand.,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I read that today too. I'm a flytyer and I use reindeer/caribou fur a lot. The hairs are hollow, dry out and break easily. Even more easily that whitetail deer hair (which in the winter is also hollow and thick, but not as thick as caribou). While I can certainly see it being lofty and thick and cushioning (the pieces I use are from the thickest portion along the back and are easily 2" thick of hair), I cannot see it being practical for daily use like a saddle pad.

While the uniqueness of a 2" dense bed of hollow hairs probably is supreme cushioning, sheepskin being a fiber is more practical for hard useage in my opinion.

I would really have wanted to see felt included in the study too. Seems like an odd study.

here it is at thehorse.com
    http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=18622
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Yes the Laps... they also make reindeer into an incredibly delicious paste sandwich spread. As yummy as it is, I can't see reindeer pads becoming the next big trend but stranger things have happened in the horse world.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    Yes the Laps... they also make reindeer into an incredibly delicious paste sandwich spread. As yummy as it is, I can't see reindeer pads becoming the next big trend but stranger things have happened in the horse world.
    You just need the right person to go public with "I swear by my reindeer blanky" and everybody gets one...

naturally, if it's the naturally conceived PPHN Fruition Model XXR ultra savy....you know it will fly off the shelves!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You just need the right person to go public with "I swear by my reindeer blanky" and everybody gets one...

naturally, if it's the naturally conceived PPHN Fruition Model XXR ultra savy....you know it will fly off the shelves!
    OMG if the Pepperoni Machine gets hold of this you know it'll be the one true necessity that will cure your horse's introverted no brained, wonky leading, non rideable issues and for only $650 you can buy the special knowledge that mere abusive gunsels will never know.

Meanwhile, if GM endorses it, it'll be under every saddle at the shows lol. Some of the Laplander reindeer farmers are already very wealthy, but I'm sure a worldwide run on reindeer pads would make them happy.

OMG if the Pepperoni Machine gets hold of this you know it'll be the one true necessity that will cure your horse's introverted no brained, wonky leading, non rideable issues and for only $650 you can buy the special knowledge that mere abusive gunsels will never know.

Meanwhile, if GM endorses it, it'll be under every saddle at the shows lol. Some of the Laplander reindeer farmers are already very wealthy, but I'm sure a worldwide run on reindeer pads would make them happy.
    LOL, if they are wealthy, then it's only because there are no malls up there, and UPS does not run every day either....

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, if they are wealthy, then it's only because there are no malls up there, and UPS does not run every day either....
    You'd be surprised by the money in the Norwegian side of the Arctic Circle. The Swedish side was really sparse in comparison. Tons of reindeer on both sides and I'm sure both would be happy to sell to crazy horsepeople.

You'd be surprised by the money in the Norwegian side of the Arctic Circle. The Swedish side was really sparse in comparison. Tons of reindeer on both sides and I'm sure both would be happy to sell to crazy horsepeople.
    They have no shortage of reindeer fur, that's for sure! They are willing to share!