The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding/hauling with a sprung shoe

So baby boy sprung his LF shoe a few days ago during a hack. I stupidly left his bell boots off, we got in to some deep footing, and voila! the outside side of the shoe is pulled away from the foot, somewhat twisted- I can probably fit two quarters (depth wise) in the gap at the heel- maybe 1/3 inch? I don't know I'm bad at these sorts of estimates. Farrier is out of town, and we have an A show this weekend. Awesome.
    Question is- is it safe to hack the horse with his shoe like this? he doesn't necessarily NEED to be ridden before this weekend but it wouldn't hurt. Also, its about a 2 hour trailer ride to this horse show, where there is a farrier on the grounds. would it be ok to haul him to the show and have the farrier fix it there? I want to show but obviously soundness and comfort for horsie comes first.
    Thoughts?

Absolutely no riding at all with a sprung shoe. I would find a way to get it removed asap and use a boot or a duct tape "boot" to make sure he stays sound.

Hauling in that condition? I suppose you could, but I'd still be looking to get it off asap. Even just being turned out and walking around with a sprung shoe is not a good idea.

Ditto to JB, NO riding with it sprung. If you are comfortable with it, I would definitely remove the shoe and tape the foot up or boot it. I wouldn't haul with it sprung just because shifting around in the trailer if he stepped on himself he could easily make it worse. So Off with the shoe!

Ummmm.....As long as I've owned horses I've always had my farrier be very readily accessable....and horses have always PULLED shoes rather than "sprung" them.
    I'm sad to report that I have no idea the proper way to go about pulling a shoe, since I don't have a farrier's kit and don't know how to loosen nails. help?

Is there another barn around that has some tools you could borrow? IMHO everyone - either every person or every barn - should have a basic set of tools with which to remove a shoe or take care of a chunk of wall sticking out

If the clinches are tight, you're going to have problems with most regular tools. Are they tight?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    Ummmm.....As long as I've owned horses I've always had my farrier be very readily accessable....and horses have always PULLED shoes rather than "sprung" them.
    I'm sad to report that I have no idea the proper way to go about pulling a shoe, since I don't have a farrier's kit and don't know how to loosen nails. help?
    Could you call out another farrier in your area to fix it or at least just remove it. It will be cheaper than getting it fixed at an "A" show.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Agreed with what was posted- I would be out there with a pair of nippers getting that thing off ASAP. The last thing you need is for him to step on a nail.

Since its sprung on one side at least that side is loose, I have no experiance getting them off ( the proper way anyway) But Its been done !!! You have to do what you have to do !!

I board at home and have no tools- and I have been completely unsuccessful in getting another farrier out- I'm kind of in farrier wasteland here
    There are no clips on the shoes, but the nails on the non-sprund side are tight. Might be a case of the "wiggle-wiggle-pull-wiggle-wiggle-pull" tonight. Luckily beasty is a good boy and will let me do this while he is eating dinner.
    I have a huge flat head screwdriver....guess i could try to get the nails a little loose with that? this makes me anxious, lol

Crease nail puller. Every barn should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Crease nail puller. Every barn should have one.
    I'm online shopping for farrier's tools right now !

Would NOT recommend wiggle wiggle pull unless you dont mind shredding your horses hoof. You will end up with a loose shoe you cant get off and ripped out nail holes. Best to lay horse off or get better tools. If you dont want to shred the foot you need to undo the clenched nails where they protrude from hoof wall first. Then pull nails out by heads at bottom of shoe.

Do you have hardware stores? Look on websites like this one www.valleyfarrier.com for what farrier tools look like. Might find something close and cheaper at hardware store.

Please for the love of Pete put away the "huge" flathead screwdriver..

Skip the show if you need to. Then go online and order a rasp and a pair of pulloffs (not nippers) and learn how to remove a shoe in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFARRIER View Post
    Please for the love of Pete put away the "huge" flathead screwdriver..

Skip the show if you need to. Then go online and order a rasp and a pair of pulloffs (not nippers) and learn how to remove a shoe in a pinch.
    Wasn't serious about the screwdriver. And whenever farrier can get to me, I plan to learn.
    chillax!

I'm staying home! More pressing issue is successfully removing the shoe!

Get thee to Tractor Supply or the like and buy a cheap rasp, a pair of nail nippers or flat head pliers to cut the nail heads off, and a pair of pullers. Everybody should have these tools anyway just in case. Cut the nail heads off (or rasp them) and pull the shoe. It's not that hard. I wouldn't ride with a sprung shoe and if I had to haul the shoe would be taped up well.

Thanks Shakey. I have a rasp but nothing else. Didn't know i could just rasp tail heads off? Will try that. Unfortunately, no tractor supply or anything within an hour of here. Like I said, I'm in suburban farrier tractor supply tack store wasteland.
    The closest thing we have is a Lowes. Maybe I'll go there and see what comparable tools I can find.

There are some good links to articles in this blog post:
    http://equineink.com/2009/05/07/how-...-a-loose-shoe/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    There are some good links to articles in this blog post:
    http://equineink.com/2009/05/07/how-...-a-loose-shoe/
    Excellent articles! Thanks so much!

UPDATE!
    Ran out to my nearest Amish supply store (told you I was in the boonies) and he happened to have a nifty little set of crappy imported farrier tools for $50. It has nippers, pullers, a hoof knife, hammer, and the clinch loosener tool thingy.
    I'm all set up!

Your vet can pull a sprung shoe as well. It's not something I would leave my horse with for even one day.

Mine charged me $50 to do it one X-mas eve when I couldn't get a hold of the farrier. Worth the money.