The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pennfield And Vitamins

I am currently feeding my 9yr old QH Pennfield Fibergized. He is idle right now and only being turned out due to me being pregnant. I currently feed him Bio Flax from Horsetech. I was wondering if he even needs the vitamins on top of his grain. Seems as though he should be getting everything he needs. Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.chaar.us/products/Pennfie...orse-Feed.html

Here is the analysis for Fibregized. If you are giving him the BioFlax as a hoof supplement, it might still be helpful as the Lysine and Methionine in addition to the biotin are most useful for hooves and the Fibregized doesn't contain these things. Here is the ingredient list for BioFlax (in the SmartPakEquine comparison chart - love these things) http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/HoofCompare.aspx
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It looks like what your feeding requires a minimum of 5 pounds a day to get everything your hore should have. So the first question would be how much are you feeding and does it meet the manufactures minimum requirement to get all their needs met?

I've just put mine on Pennfield's ration balancer because none of mine needed the quantity or calories of the 6 pounds that was recommended to get all their nutritional needs met. (One horse was on Ultimum the others on WellSolve low starch) Now I give a pound of ration balancer and know that that should cover all the basics and just fill in with Fibergize, hay or chaffehaye to meet any caloric needs that they may still have which will fluctuate with the current state of my pastures.

Right now, on my plump QHs that means just the RB. On the oldster with some insulin resistance I can feed half the grain I was then supplement with a very low starch chaffehaye. The youngster in training I add on the Fibergize. In other words the RB is letting me be very flexible and customize my feeding program to each horses' needs.

Hey, if you are using the ration balancer - do you know how much to feed? my bag of pennfield doesn't have a tag and the website talks in Kilos ..... i suppose i could do a conversion but just thought i would ask

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    Hey, if you are using the ration balancer - do you know how much to feed? my bag of pennfield doesn't have a tag and the website talks in Kilos ..... i suppose i could do a conversion but just thought i would ask
    I feed 1 pound of the Pennfield ration balancer a day--1/2 lb in the morning and again a 1/2 lb in the evening. I've got it measured/weighed out to 1/2lb = a level standard coffee cup.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    If your horse is average size and in decent work, you need to feed more than a pound. All of my guys get about 3lbs a day. The pony gets 1.5lbs a day. Split between 3 meals.

Here's the product brochure. http://pennfieldequine.com/ProductSh....Phase.All.pdf

I LOVE this stuff. My horses on it look like a million bucks (well, they all look like a million bucks! They all get Pennfield of some variety). Even my greys are shiny...it's always so thrilling when you see a sheen under a layer of mud and grime on a grey horse.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    If your horse is average size and in decent work, you need to feed more than a pound.
    From the product sheet you linked: "When fed appropriately, a 50 pound bag lasts the average horse nearly two months."

That's about a pound a day. The OP said her horse was idle right now. I got my feeding recommendations from KY Equine Research which acts as Pennfields' nutritionist. Although I admit they were also given the information of 3 to 4 horse on 20+ acres of meticulously managed pasture. That was one of the reasons I switched to Pennfields--being able to be in contact with the nutritionist at KER allows me to customize the feed program.

But it also has a chart detailing how much to feed depending on the horses size and work load. according to that, my hard working guys are getting the right amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    But it also has a chart detailing how much to feed depending on the horses size and work load. according to that, my hard working guys are getting the right amounts.
    Amanda I was responding to the OP saying her horse was idle. My working horses get the 1 pound as a base then I add to that with chaffehay, hay and/or Fibergize. So I'm doing it a bit differently than you as it isn't their sole source of calories.

Duh...breaking my own rule- "read for content." I missed the idle part!

"When fed appropriately, a 50 pound bag lasts the average horse nearly two months."

TWO MONTHS!!??
    I guess I wish my horse was even remotely close to "average" lol.

Due to amount of feed, I don't supplement with vitamins. I feed the Omega version. I do feed Tri-Amino supplement with it though.

fwiw, after reading the brochure i have decided to start with 1 lbs for the 15h 3.5 yo pony that is lightly worked (just started) , air fern , and 1.5 lbs for my 12 yo 16h WB mare that is just coming back into light work.

i am also adding apprx 1 cup of flax seed to each.

i am excited to try this product - hoping it will really give my horses the extra nutrition they need to look really good without having to over feed... (i used to use ultium when my mare was in heavy work and she looked fab) its hard to get that kind of bloom on ration balancer!