The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer "delivery"/"sharing"

I am considering purchasing a trailer on the east coast, I am in the midwest.
    Looking for options to get the trailer from there to here.
    I know I can have it shipped, like a car; but I was thinking perhaps of letting someone "use" it in order to get it from there to here? Opinions? How do I go about looking for such a situation? Considerations? How does one set it up?

You could buy from a dealer that offers free shipping on new horse trailers.

www.DoubleDTrailers.com/Delivery.htm

I would not let someone use the horse trailer in exchange for delivery. There are too many things that could go wrong on your new horse trailer. We had a customer to leave with a new 3 horse gooseneck trailer, and while driving on the interstate, ran over something and broke a steering mechanism, causing the truck and gooseneck trailer to veer off road and hit a tree. Luckily, the horse trailer had minimal damage but wow, that is crazy.

Bartley Heath
    Buy 3H Gooseneck Trailers and $ave

Some years back I ordered a new Brenderup; it was in Texas, I was in Ohio. The distributor brought it from there right to my barn door........ "loaning" the trailer is probably low risk from a probability perspective but high risk in terms what happens if there is a problem. Let this be the dealers' risk, not yours...........

If the dealer you are working with doesn't offer free shipping, negotiate w/ them as part of the sale to arrange shipping to get it to you
    Last edited by 2tempe; Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: one more thing