The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Similar saddles to Toulouse?

I'm wondering what people's suggestions for saddles around $1000 that fit like the M. Toulouse Denisse? I'm looking for a saddle that allows for proper eq while flatting but still allows me to get out of it over the jumps. I am not too tall (5'5"-5"6") but I am longer from the hip to knee than in my calf, so I need a forward flap.... I was fitted a while back and told the Denisse, as well as the Pessoa GenX fit me well. I'm also looking at the Ovation line and the Philipe Fontaine too...I ride a variety of horses several days a week so I want something that will hold up well (which is what I'm worried about with the super soft Toulouse) but is still comfy. I've hear that the Philipe Fontaine can come in a "double thickness" option to make it more durable? Anyways, opinions on any or all of the above saddles would be great!

Thanks!

You really need to either ride horses of similar build or have multiple saddles - you cannot use a saddle tree that is curved to fit a curved back horse & use this on a straight backed horse & get a decent fit - it will have pressure points: if you only ride the horse occasionally, the horse may not get back sore but it will certainly be a less enjoyable ride for the horse.

Do these horses not have owners that have purchased tack that fits the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie O View Post
    I've hear that the Philipe Fontaine can come in a "double thickness" option to make it more durable?
    From what I have read, the double thickness you mention is really a "veneer" of calfskin or buffalo over the layer beneath it and is actually less durable than regular grain leather, because that upper layer of soft leather tends to wear or separate from the lower level.