The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff to crazy buying stories, crazy selling stories

Many years ago, we quit racing, breeding and training for the public and had all sold but our ranch geldings and this one yearling filly.
    She was priced a bit too high for the then crashing race horse market, but then, her sire had two All American winners and her dam had 11 foals, nine raced and winners and two stake winners.

These two men come to look at her and, while all of us were in her run, the filly loose, she reaches over from far off to smell one's sleeve and he hauls off and hits her hard in the face with his fist.
    She staggers back and stand there wondering what that was all about.

We are all looking appalled and he meekly then say "she bit me".
    Everyone there knows she didn't even touch him and we quietly finish the conversation and tell them we changed our mind and we may just run her ourselves.
    That fellow called next day to ask if we would sell her to him, apologized for hitting her and when we said no, she was not for sale any more, he said "it was because I hit her" and we said just partly, but it was plus the lying about her biting him.
    Maybe he was a good person, but why take chances?

We trained the filly ourselves and then sent her to the track and before she even had one out a breeder, that had won the All American that year with a very good stallion and was putting some mares together for him, liked her so well he bought her for a broodmare on her breeding alone.

When I got my Troy mare a few years ago, sweet, sensitive soul, lots of talent, I decided after several months that the Cleveland Bay cross would have to go. That mare was VERY alpha, and for some reason, she just took a dislike to Pixie, the Troy mare. Never really got better even over time. Due to my facility (one big pasture with run-in, couple of small paddocks but no shelter in them, and I like them out on the big pasture as much as possible), my horses MUST get along in a herd. Period. Kate was a bit of a bully anyway, one of those who constantly tested people as well as horses. She'd accept her place with people with good handling, but every day, she'd be watching for any perceived weakening of resolve. Pixie was sweeter, more fun to ride, more talented, and a lot less PITA to deal with. Ergo, decided Kate had to go.

I put together a VERY explicit ad, listed the mare's height, breeding, her extreme Alphaness, requires a firm and confident handler, does have a history current and remote of just taking a dislike to some herdmates, if so can be a problem in pasture situations. Talented mare and a lot of go, but she had definite quirks. Listed all of this carefully.

Response by email: "Saw your ad on mare, and I'm looking for a project. I am an experienced rider, experience XYZ. Can deal with pasture/herd issues. Is the mare really 16.1?"

Me: "Thanks for replying! Yes, she is definitely 16.1. I have sticked her myself. She also is large-bodied, being half Cleveland Bay. Looks even bigger. Lots of personality and talent, if you just remind her who is Big Boss Mare. Let me know if you have any more questions."

A few other email exchanges, then a phone call. Prospective Buyer asked me again if the listed height on the mare was correct. I confirmed that it was and invited PB to bring her own stick and measure her.

Set up a date to show mare. Out came PB to my farm.

She was surprised on meeting Kate and ultimately decided to turn her down because "I wasn't expecting such a big horse. Everybody lies in horse ads. I'm really looking for something about 15 hands."

Okay, I get that a LOT of people, though not everybody, will fudge the height in ads. But if seller has several times on direct questioning confirmed the height, described her as a big girl, confirmed that it was an actual measured height, AND invited PB to measure the mare herself with her own stick, don't you think the POSSIBILITY that mare is actually the advertised height should have been considered before PB came out to look?

Crazy!... Maybe he felt "the three second rule" was supposed to be proactive. Who knows what motivates some.

Years ago I had a big flashy paint mare for sale that I advertised as gentle but not finished and her price reflected that. She had wonderful ground manners but still needed finishing under saddle. She was too much horse for me and my experience level at the time.

A cowboy comes out with his family and wants to try her out. He says he is with the rodeo that is in town.

I have the mare with her halter on and we are standing around talking and he asks if he could ride her. Sure I ask do you want to use my western saddle? Nope he says takes the mare from me and jumps on her bareback and heads out in my pasture. While he is riding her he reaches back and is smacking and pinching her over her back and rump. Dear mare never experiencing that before bucks a little every time he pinches her. Thankfully he is a good rider and stays on.

He comes back slides off and hands her back to me. Said he wanted her for his young son who looks to me to be about 8 years old. What! I never advertised or said my mare was for a child or a beginner and tell him so.

Once the child finds out daddy isn't going to buy him the pretty horse he starts to cry and throws a tandrum. What an ackward moment that was.

We have a few crazy selling stories, but one of my favorites (other than my all time favorite which I posted in the other thread) is when some people came out to look at english horses, but fell in love with a WP quarter horse mare just from looking at her in the stall. Well we threw and english saddle on her and I rode her first to show how nice she was and pushed her into an extended trot, etc. She was awesome for me. I even showed them her WP stop - no reins, just sit back and say whoa and instant dead stop.

So they stick the kid on and everything is going fine and then the kid puts her in a canter. She goes to stop her and shreiks "WHOA" while leaning forward (practically on the horse's neck) and pulling on the reins. The horse looks so confused, sticks its nose on it's chest because the kid is pulling so hard and continues this slow, easy lope. The kid (who was a decent enough rider) starts screaming that the horse is "taking off with her." This horse would have won a WP class at the speed she was going! We explain to the kid to sit down on her back because the horse is trained off seat and voice. Eventually the kid puts two and two together, sits down and says whoa, and sure enough the horse comes to a dead stand still... They had the nerve to tell us she was poorly trained! The fact that you ride english and decided to look at a WP horse and do not know how to properly ride one is no reflection on the horse's training.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a few OTTBs for sale several years ago and was flattered and excited when I got a call from an eventing BNT to come look.

When she pulled into the driveway, I was walking back from the ring on another of my horses. She proceeded to tell me my horse was lame.

Now, I'm no BNT, but I was pretty darn sure certain my horse was not off at the walk. But I smiled, thanked her profusely for the tip, and went to show her the TBs.

Pulled the first one out of the stall-- she professed he looked lame. Standing there in the barn aisle.

Okay...

Took her to the next mare's stall. She pronounced she was also lame. (Because BNTs can tell when a horse standing there eating hay is lame.)

BNT seemed very annoyed at this point. I was doing my darnedest to stay friendly and cordial.

The third was out in the paddock. We walked over to the fence and I asked if she wanted me to bring him in. Her response-- "No, he looks lame."

I graciously thanked her for her time, apologized I didn't have anything that suited her, and wished her luck. She got back in her truck and drove off.

All four horses went on to be sold to competitive homes and to my knowledge, are still happy and sound today.

My only rationalization for her statements is that maybe when she said "lame," she really meant that conformationally the horses did not look like they'd hold up to higher levels of eventing. *shrugs*
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I had a QH filly who was very green and had a pasture injury that I could not pinpoint, much less treat (time, money, you name it!). I advertised her for free as a broodmare prospect, making certain to add that she was green and would need an experienced rider if they chose to make her a trail horse.

I got an e-mail from a lady saying she and her husband were beginner riders looking for a horse they could take lessons on because the arab stallion they had bought was too old. She had heard QHs were really calm and gentle and they wanted to come see her. I politely replied that my mare was too green for beginner riders and good luck with your search. She tried two or three more times to convince me to let them see her.

The next contact I got was from a woman who had a foundation QH stallion and thought my mare's bloodlines would compliment her breeding program. We have a winner.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I had a lovely 3yr old 3/4 TB filly for sale. Solid 16 hands. Green started under saddle. I received a call on her from a woman looking for a 4-H horse for her 10yr old son. I explained that my filly was too green and even with more training would not be suitable for a 10 year old child. Woman said thank-you and hung up. I fielded several other calls over the next couple of days. Then I get a call in which a lady says that she talked to me about my filly and she and her husband would like to come see her. My mistake was in not asking her which person she was! They get here and it turns out that this is the lady that I specifically told that the filly was not suitable for her son. The husband gets out of the car on crutches. I said "I hope a horse didn't step on you." "No", he says, "I scratched a bug bite on my ankle and it got infected and the hospital pealed the skin off my foot". At this point I notice the bug bites around the overhanging waist line where his shirt does not meet his pants. I step back a couple feet and turn to the wife. Her face and hands are clean but she has this dirt ring around her neck and around her wrists. (O.K. This is definately not a home I want for my filly!) I again explain that this filly is in NO way suitable for their son. "Well, since we are here could we at least see her?" So I brought her out of her stall. Wife then says "I would really like to ride her". By now I have them pretty well sized up, so, I said "Sure". I then proceed to bring out my hunt saddle. Wife takes one look at it and says "But I don't know how to ride in an english saddle!". And I said "But my filly doesn't know how to ride in a western saddle!". They said "Sorry, the filly wasn't suitable for their son" and got in their car and left!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

this was definitely one of the weirder horse expressions i've heard...

a few years ago we had a large pony for sale. she was serviceably sound-NOT a show pony and i was very clear on that in the ads, but she was quiet and cute and would be a great pony for a kid to learn on. anyway, these people come to try her out. the kid gets on, walks around, goes to trot, and has trouble keeping the pony in a trot. the trainer keeps telling the kid, "bunga bunga! bunga bunga to trot! do your bunga bunga! don't forget to bunga bunga!" to this day i have never before nor since heard that expression and have NO clue what it means...
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE