The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pine Sol as fly spray?

Anyone ever heard/use this?
    My boarder came out with his daughter to go on a trail ride. DH said boarder (who is also a farrier) used straight Pine Sol on the horses. Said it's the best thing to keep the flies away. (He did rinse horses thoroughly from head to toe when they got back.)
    I would think it would be toxic to the horses. At the very least dry out hair and skin. Not something I'd ever use on my animals.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

My husband works for Clorox, on the line that produces Pine-Sol. After seeing what it does to is work uniforms, I sure wouldn't spray it on my horses.

Compared to the stuff in regular fly spray, it might not be so bad....

In the barn we dilute Pine Sol and water in a watering can and splash it down the aisles. I haven't seen a fly in the barn since we started doing this. When they're turned out the horses get sprayed with normal fly spray (and that's diluted as well.)

It never hits the horses though- they're usually outside or in their stalls, and the Pine Sol doesn't get in there. I'd rather buy a fly spray I know is horse-safe than go the cheap route and risk it with a cleaning product.

lol, true, but I would think that it would be the Pine oil in it, that would deter the flies, which Pine-Sol has very little of now. Actually, I don't know that it has any....I'll have to ask my husband....

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedMare View Post
    In the barn we dilute Pine Sol and water in a watering can and splash it down the aisles. I haven't seen a fly in the barn since we started doing this. When they're turned out the horses get sprayed with normal fly spray (and that's diluted as well.)

It never hits the horses though- they're usually outside or in their stalls, and the Pine Sol doesn't get in there. I'd rather buy a fly spray I know is horse-safe than go the cheap route and risk it with a cleaning product.

We used to do this every day at the racehorse farm. We weren't allowed to use a blower on the brick isleway, but instead had to use a watering can with Pine-SOl and water, and then we swept - worked great for the floors!

I use a mixture of water, Pine-sol and vinegar, sometimes with a bit of neem oil. It really does work very well. I spray the horse, never had any issues, and also I spray down stalls, crosstie areas, etc. I even use it at home and spray the deck when we're going to eat outside!

I used to use a mixture of Pine Sol, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Listerine. It did seem to work better than regular fly spray.

Recently I started sticking a bounce dryer sheet in my boot. I've been pretty amazed at how it seems to repel flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    I use a mixture of water, Pine-sol and vinegar, sometimes with a bit of neem oil. It really does work very well. I spray the horse, never had any issues, and also I spray down stalls, crosstie areas, etc. I even use it at home and spray the deck when we're going to eat outside!
    Done this for years....equal parts mixed and it does work well. Have also found that using this mix around the house when cleaning I have fewer house flies (for some reason when storms are abrewing here in the desert every fly in the county finds its way inside a structure if there is one nearby).
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Ok, so I asked my husband who works for Clorox on the Pine-Sol line and he he was pretty surprised that people would spray Pine Sol on their horses. Working with it every day dries his hands out terribly, and he is constantly having to use lotion. As for the ingredients, he said that only the original formula actually has Pine Oil in it - the stuff that keeps the flies at bay - but I think the formula will be changing soon. As for the other types of Pine Sol - Lavender, etc - he said it was about the same as 409. I think I'll stick with my Fly Spray mixed with ACV.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    As for the ingredients, he said that only the original formula actually has Pine Oil in it - the stuff that keeps the flies at bay - but I think the formula will be changing soon.
    It's the original pine smelling one that I use...and diluted with water and vinegar (doesn't seem to make a difference in what type) in equal parts (so the Pine sol is 1/3 of the make up) and then spritzed on horses....don't think it is going to do a lot of drying out of the horse in those small amounts AND my horses also get a "shower" about once a day on hot days so whatever is on them is getting diluted more or washed off either partially or completely. All I can say is that it works and works well.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I don't think a tiny bit of Pinesol sprayed on a horse is going to hurt it in the least. Unless you get it in the eyes! But really, it's not coming in contact with the skin, and it's diluted. I've never had a horse react to it in any way, except gratefully LOL.

Thanks for all the replies. Our friend was wiping the Pine Sol on with a rag, straight from the bottle.

I'm gonna just stick with my high priced Endure.

My daughter was at a pony club clinic and her horse had a little bit of rain rot. The clinician was a national examiner for pony club, and she said to spray pine sol mixed 50/50 with water on the horse. Worked wonders. Rain rot gone and has not come back since, over a year now, and this horse got rain rot every spring. Works great for fly spray also. Must be the original with pine oil in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Ok, so I asked my husband who works for Clorox on the Pine-Sol line and he he was pretty surprised that people would spray Pine Sol on their horses.
    Hey Freebird - might your husband know why Penn O Pine was taken off the market?

It's not made by the company he works for - but I thought I'd ask anyway. It's a pretty potent version of Pine-Sol - and I used to use it when cleaning out the coop and in my spring barn cleaning.

All of a sudden it went poof.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I mix 1/8 -1/4 of a cup in with my fly spray mixture. Probably isn't enough to help or do any harm. As for drying out your skin, that's probably a good thing because the other ingredients include Skin so soft, and a whole cup of baby oil, so a little drying action can't be too bad?

People at my barn have commented that they think it is toxic. But really up to 1/4 added to a mixture misted over a horse can't do them any harm in my opinion.

But yes, straight pinesol seems a little extreme. I'm glad he sprayed them off afterward. If this isn't done too often I'm sure it'll be okay, but probably not ideal.

I use it to wash all my horse laundry (except whites that get bleach). My blankets are washed in it and bagged for the off season and when I take them out for use, I've never had a bug or mouse hole in one. They also smell great. I also use it for wraps and pads. My mom started this when I was young, so even in 40 years of doing it, we've never had a reaction under a sweaty saddle pad or anything from many horses. Granted, its rinsed, but I bet there is some residue.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Just a heads up that Pine Sol can be toxic to dogs and cats.

http://www.cathealth.com/Tox.htm
    http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogp....html#Cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    Just a heads up that Pine Sol can be toxic to dogs and cats.

http://www.cathealth.com/Tox.htm
    http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogp....html#Cleaners
    Yep. I'd read that the residue on floors licked off the pads of their feet could make the cats sick. That's when I stopped using pine products on my floors, and why I was concerned for my boarder's horses.

I'm neither for nor against, but here are my experiences:

I made my own fly spray with Pine Sol, vinegar, and some other stuff once. It bleached the horses' coats like crazy, but no other side effects.

A boarder at a farm I used to work at bathed her horses with Pine Sol to treat rain rot and as a brace after hard workouts. Not entirely sure how effective it was, but they survived.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO