The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about bringing a horse back to work after time off

Quick question about bringing my 8 year old TB mare back to work after about 30 days off (not consecutively, but over the course of a month and a half). I just took the NY bar exam and that is why she had time off, it was not injury related. She is turned out on grass for about 10 hours a day. She has been in consistent work for the 4 years I've owned her and we show in the adult jumpers. She has never had this much time off so I'm not quite sure if we would be ready to do a 2 day clinic in early September (we would only be jumping 2'9"). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

My show horse (not a h/j but an ASB) had two and a half YEARS off- consecutively. Took her to the fat farm (trainer) in March, and she was in the show ring in May. You've been riding once or twice a week so she shouldn't be that much out of shape. You've got a month, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback! I think my mare should be ok too, I'm just a paranoid horse owner haha.