The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does your hunt offer hunting clinics before the season begins?

Just got an invitation from South Creek, in Tampa, FL for a great hunting clinic hosted by Marylou Gallagher./Ridgepoint Stables (a professional and long time hunt staff and member too) .....looks fantastic!
    I went to one at Bear Creek in Newnan, GA a few years ago that was really good too..........
    Foxhunting clinics can teach new prospective hunt members (and some "know it all's") proper hunting ettiquette........
    One of the best parts is practicing jumping a coup or fence following each other, like in the hunt field.
    We can all take lessons, or jumping clinics.......but without the excitement of following another galloping horse, it's not the same........

My question.......What hunts host these clinics? It's a great fundraiser for the hunt.....and a benefit for all members!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I got that too and I think it's a great idea.
    We have discussed it and attempted it in the past at our hunt, but the issue we had is that not only are our members "working folk" our staff and also the masters work, so we had a problem scheduling it and also finding enough staff and/or members to actually help put it on.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I'm not presently a member of a hunt...still in the training wheels stage...but I attended the Intro to Hunting clinic hosted by Tanheath Hunt (MA) last fall, and it was terrific. I got an excellent introduction to hunting, from the proper attire and history of the hunt to good manners in the field, and a great Q & A session. Unfortuntely, I was a horseless auditor, so I hope to participate in the clinic again this year, mounted.
    The clinic did a great deal to prepare me for the 2010 CotH fall hunt..thank you again, Tanheath MFH and members.

Genesee Valley in western New York has Aidan O'Connell for Cross Country & Hunting Clinics!

His huge emphasis is riding safely, in balance, going over the ground in the Hunt Field.

He'll be here Aug. 18th thru 22nd if anyone would like to attend, we have
    Eventing and Foxhunting sessions-----and we get to cub hunt with him!
    Ann

Our hunt (Green Mountain Hounds) here in Vermont have hosted intro to foxhunting clinics for several seasons now. We originally held it mid week just before our children's hunt to encourage young riders. We started getting more and more adults so we have been offering two clinics each season. One is mid week and another on Saturday for those who are working. They are both just prior to the start of cubbing and we have gained a good number of memberships from riders who have attended. Last year we started offering it free to our members as a refresher. Although it was never intended to be a fund raiser it has turned into one because they are very well attended. We keep the cost low and keep it simple by asking people to bring a bag lunch. We have two experianced members host each of the clinics. We have a curriculum for both classroom instruction and crosscountry riding. A mock hunt if you will. A positive experiance for riders of many backgrounds and a great way to get more riders in the field.
    "pack in!"

Anything in the SC area (Camden/Aiken) for someone with a young horse?

Artsmom, Going "roading" aka exercising hounds, but not hunting yet, is a great way to introduce a young horse to hounds and groups.
    I"m not sure who in Aiken will let outsiders road hounds, but I would suggest you contact Jeannie Thomas of Why Worry Hounds.,,,,,,,They are a very hospitable group and work with a lot of young horses and new hunters...........Good luck!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Default Tennessee Valley Hunt clinic Aug. 20

We are putting on our annual Foxhunting Clinic near Knoxville at our kennels on Aug. 20. I use the MFHA's notebook originally put together by Joyce Fendley of the Casanova Hunt to help me organize the day and so far it has been a hit. We request all new members attend this event. So far the best behaved riders in the field have all attended on of our clinics.

Rosemarie Merle-Smith, MFH

Sounds perfect Dene/Rose Marie....TVH. Joyce and Cassanova know how to do things first class.
    LOH is talking bout somthing, but masters are out of town and it's SOOO hot, we're talking about a "talk now/ride later" deal.....better than nothing <smile>

Casanova does! They start tomorrow (9 am-11 am) the 6th, and go the next two Saturday's after that (13th, 20th). 3 training groups- Intro (hardly anytime out of the ring), Non-Jumping Cross country, and Jumping Cross Country.

For the deets you can call the hunt monitor (540)788-9800

Hope to see you there!

My first introduction to hunting was at Cassanova's foxhunting camp! This was probably 12 years ago, but, man, it was fun!! We did a morning ride where we practiced control, etiquette, etc, etc, etc, then a very nice lunch where they discussed attire, etiquette, the hounds, membership, etc. Then we got back on and went out at a fair hunting pace, jumping coops and panels, practiced making way for staff. What a day! It took years before I ever actually got to go out in the hunt field, but that was a great time.

There are lots of hunts in the MD and VA area that offer clinics and camps, and most seem to offer trail rides. NM-MVH is doing a mock hunt tomorrow, I believe, and I know I've seen mentions of other things like that for other area hunts.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Santa Fe Hunt, CA

I'm going to a pre-season clinic this Sunday with Santa Fe Hunt in SoCal and am VERY excited!

Hunted our first season in 2009 but sat out last season due to me having just had a baby.

My horse was absolutely awesome her first season in first and second field, but since it's been over a year I decided we should knock the dust off in this low-key clinic, plus I have recruited a friend from my barn to join me, and her horse has never hunted or even roaded at all.

So excited to be back out in the field!!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I wish one of our South Carolina hunts would offer a clinic like that.

We don't have one but we have a "come as you are" hunt during cubbing. We have three field and welcome anyone.

I noticed that Carmargo in Kentucky has a hunt clinic in August.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I'm late to the party, but wanted folks to know that the Caroline Hunt has a clinic on August 20th. PM me for the flyer...the coolest part is that participants get to cap included in the price of the clinic ($50). Hope anyone in the area who has ever considered coming out won't miss this chance!