The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *UPDATE with another ?* Rider injury and riding...what was your "leg up" process?

A little over a week ago I fell off, landing directly on my right shoulder. I did get back on right away, not realizing the pain until I started getting back into the exercises. But I'm stubborn and kept riding (actually pretty successfully I might add). I woke up the next morning and could barely get dressed, my right shoulder was useless. I was not rational, and rode in another lesson regardless. It was painful, but I'm 20, determined, and get a big adrenaline rush when I ride that makes me push through stuff like this. It was not a wise decision. I got x-rays and was diagnosed with a grade II separation in the AC joint of my shoulder. I have been in a sling since and am hoping to be ready to get back to riding in the by the middle of next week. I wanted input from fellow COTHers about how they got back into riding after an injury; your "leg-up" program so to speak. How long until I take a lesson or start jumping again?

A little extra information: My horse is a jumper. He takes a lot to keep his hind end active and stay packages; a lot of leg and upper body control (which could be painful if I push myself to quickly). He is currently being ridden by my trainer daily until I'm recovered. Should I have my trainer continue to ride him even on the days I ride? That way I can maybe just hack in the field or something to get me back in the saddle and in shape but my horse isn't losing schooling (2-a-days shouldn't be a problem for him, he's in good shape but could use some extra cardio ).

Another addition: I really want to go to a show the last weekend of August. I would do the adult jumpers. So nothing too physically demanding, but with my guy I stillbneed to be able to RIDE (little movements go a long way). I sent in my entries. Should I wait and see? Or save myself for another show?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by woodhillsmanhattan; Aug. 4, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Been there, done that, and I can't imagine how you got back on your horse! I was on the verge of blacking out after my horse and I crashed and burned at a fence and I separated my shoulder. When I went to the doctor's the next day, they were all "Why didn't you go to the ER last night???" Well, yes, it did hurt a lot, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. I think I was in a sling or brace for about 6 weeks, so I didn't ride until I was out of that. How long did the doc say you need to wear the sling?

Two weeks.

I really don't know how I rode. I got ripped a new one by the doc for that!
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Default HOPING YOUR TWO WEEKS FLY BY `

HOPING YOUR TWO WEEKS FLY BY ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just remember that you won't be doing your horse any good if you can't ride him well---let your trainer ride him and let your shoulder heal. End of story.

Agree with Marley... after a bad fall, when I returned to riding all I did was cool my horse out by getting on and walking around after the trainer's assistant rode her. It hurt too much to do anything else. Over time, the assistant was on her less and less and I was on her more and more, but it took several months. I was *grateful* to have a good rider working with the mare while I was not at my best.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I had nearly the same experience-- fell off a greenie I was working, hit my lower spine pretty bad but couldn't let myself NOT get back up on the horse. I woke up the next morning in horrifying pain-- turns out I had a fractured vertabrae. My advice is to take your time getting back into it. Make sure you're feeling 110% before you push it again. I wish I would've waited longer as I now have problems with my lower back which, of course, affects my riding pretty significantly.

I agree-- let your trainer ride your horse for a while, and you just focus on healing up. Wishing you a fast recovery! I know how it is...frustrating!

I've had three serious shoulder separations and one of my rotator cuffs is a mess. Please take my advice when I tell you to WAIT until you are healed to do anything more than light hacking. The shoulder is a complicated joint and you don't want to end up with a permanent problem. You're young and strong now, but in another 20 years you're going to wake up every day feeling everything that's happened to your body. Give yourself time.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    I've had three serious shoulder separations and one of my rotator cuffs is a mess. Please take my advice when I tell you to WAIT until you are healed to do anything more than light hacking. The shoulder is a complicated joint and you don't want to end up with a permanent problem. You're young and strong now, but in another 20 years you're going to wake up every day feeling everything that's happened to your body. Give yourself time.
    THIS^^^^ I'm at the other end of that 20 years and feeling all the times I just hopped right back on.

I'd be a terrible example. I broke my arm right under the "ball" of the "ball and socket" shoulder joint. Because of the break, the "ball" fell out of the "socket" so basically I had a broken and dislocated shoulder. I had two surgeries, rods sticking out of my body, the whole 9 yards...

I scheduled a lesson 3 days after my second surgery (my arm and shoulder had been fuzed for 6 weeks and the second surgery removed all the hardware fuzing them together). I didn't make the lesson, much to my dismay, but I did ride my hunter... I had to lead her up to a picnic table to get on and then ride one handed.

About a month later (I'd been riding nearly everyday for about 2 weeks at this point) I went to my physical therapist and she said "You're doing so good, we should have you back in the saddle in a few weeks!" She was not very happy to hear I'd been back in the saddle for a month already She never told me I couldn't ride after the surgery because she felt it was a given... I didn't!

ETA: I was 18 and all this happened my first week of my freshman year of college... Totally sucked
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I was in a car accident and ended up w/ a Grade III separation -didn't seek medical care for about 48 hours - was out of town but I too can't imagine riding after- unless you had too = like long trail ride or hunting. Anyhoo I think I was in a sling for about 4 weeks? I would err on the side of caution, take care of yourself and listen to the Dr. don't rush to get back in the saddle - there will be more shows. Not to be a Debbie-Downer but you dont' want to end up in a situation where you rush back too soon and then end up needing surgery later on.
    here's to healing fast.

Default right there with you

I’m in the same boat right this very second. I have a fractured and displaced right collarbone. I was riding two weeks later, showing by week 4. Im heading into my 6th week of "recovery". The doc told me it will take a total of 12 weeks to completely heal. I do the adult jumpers and am blessed to have a really good trainer and barn staff that is able to help me get on/off as well as tacked up. My TB gelding loves that im hurt, that means he gets to have a more active role in the "ride" my contact is also softer b/c of the injury...see there is a "silver lining".
    i can tell you that there are some very big risks to making your injury worse. I tried going to VT week three of my recovery- was warming up said TB gelding for adult class. a wasp landed on the right side of my neck and stung me FOUR times. The body overtakes the mind when Sh*t like that happens. I ripped my right hand up to my neck to remove the Jurassic sized wasp. Now, since the break i havent been able to lift my arm so this was an impressive feat. It was not the pain of the multiple wasp stings that made me sob like a child in the schooling ring, it was the pain from moving my shoulder in a fashion that it was not ready for. The horses were sent home from Vermont the following day. The jumps were to big for me to be riding injured. They help enough as is, why make their jobs harder. We have gone to small shows where the height is far from maxed out.

one other piece of advice - getting on and off the horse. Go to home depot and get a super tall step ladder. it makes a world of difference for mounting/dismounting.

Thank you everytone for your responses! I will take every piece of advice to heart. As of now I'm still unsure if I'm going to be back on a horse by next week :/, but although it feels like a life time I know waiting a little longer will be better for me in the long run! Thanks guys.

p.s. scare tactics definately worked! I don't want to be feeling this injury years down the road! Think maybe I'll get lucky and it will fuse stronger and I'll be superhuman or something?!
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Default *UPDATE*Another question

So this question isn't related to the riding aspect. For those of you that had a similar injury or specifically an AC separation, how did you ease yourself off the sling (or resting, mending process, what have you...)? I tried not wearing my sling around the house yesterday (I have been wearing the sling a little over a week). I had felt like it was getting better but now feel just that small time without the sling set me back . I tried doing some motion (couldn't fully rotate my shoulder but I lifted my arm in front of and beside me) and I think that made me sore. Is this my body telling me it needs more rest? Or am I getting dependent on the sling and am just stiff? I really can't tell :/.

At beginning of injury: Constant soreness, sharp pain when moved in certain ways
    After few days of sling: Not so much soreness (with exception of being sore when I woke up in the morning), pain if moved the wrong way.
    After week or so: Not sore. Tried moving it. Felt stiff, but not not extremely painful to move a few times (on one occassion).
    Recently: Back to "after a few days of sling"
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Are you seeing a PT? They and your ortho should be setting up a series of "by this date" benchmarks.

I had a 4 part humeral fracture/broken scapula/broken ribs Jan. 2010. While I didn't get back on, I did drive myself to the hospital . Yeah, that's what the ER doc looked like when I told him that.

Anyhoo- as to your sling: I wore mine even after I didn't need to. Call it a security blanket, I felt happier with it on. I just used my arm but had the sling there "in case". Granted, mine was an immobilizer and I slept in it for nearly 5 months.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    So this question isn't related to the riding aspect. For those of you that had a similar injury or specifically an AC separation, how did you ease yourself off the sling (or resting, mending process, what have you...)? I tried not wearing my sling around the house yesterday (I have been wearing the sling a little over a week). I had felt like it was getting better but now feel just that small time without the sling set me back . I tried doing some motion (couldn't fully rotate my shoulder but I lifted my arm in front of and beside me) and I think that made me sore. Is this my body telling me it needs more rest? Or am I getting dependent on the sling and am just stiff? I really can't tell :/.

At beginning of injury: Constant soreness, sharp pain when moved in certain ways
    After few days of sling: Not so much soreness (with exception of being sore when I woke up in the morning), pain if moved the wrong way.
    After week or so: Not sore. Tried moving it. Felt stiff, but not not extremely painful to move a few times (on one occassion).
    Recently: Back to "after a few days of sling"
    I separated my AC joint after a fall this year. I couldn't move my arm at all for about 9 days. As in, I couldn't get dressed by myself during that timeframe. If you were feeling better and were already able to move your arm after only a few days, you should probably be in pretty good shape within a week or so.

The sling isn't really necessary for the healing process, it's more of a reminder to you not to use your arm, and it also provides a visual cue for others so they know not to slap you on the shoulder or grab your arm. Your soreness is likely an indication that you are doing too much, too soon.

I stopped wearing my sling when I was sitting at my computer doing work, but wore it for about 3 to 4 weeks when I would be walking around doing things like opening and closing doors, or reaching for things. The sling reminded me NOT to do those things with my injured arm. By 6 weeks post-injury, I was able to carry out all daily tasks without pain. My doctor advised me to be conservative for a full 3 months and that it would be 6 to 9 months before I had full movement back. I started riding 3 weeks post-injury, but that was only light hacking. And I was warned by my doctor not to fall off on that shoulder again.

I fell of last Nov, and broke my tail bone. I did get right back on... it hurt walking. The I tried to trot, thought I was going to pass out. So I got off. 2 weeks later I still am in a lot of discomfort, but tried to get on our trail horse to see how it felt to ride. I made it halfway around the ring. Another week and I could tolerate a very quiet walk. 2 days later I attempted to get back on the youngster. (He has a very foward swinging walk). I did ok. Week 4 I was trotting.

However I was not as lucky as you. I didn't have anyone to ride my horseswhile I was down. I was a little stubborn (and stupid) but it all worked out. It still bothers me, when I move a certain way, but very rarely now.

Good luck! And I hope you heal quickly!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Wow, you guys are lucky! My husband separated his shoulder and was in a sling for several months. He wasn't able to really use his shoulder for even "moderate" activities for about 6 months and now, a year later, only has about 80% function in that shoulder. After seeing my husband's injury, I would take things slowly in order to avoid making it worse.