The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stray Cat Congested

A stray cat appeared at my house Saturday morning and was very congested, had a snotty nose and his coughing. I did not see him again until Sunday and now he is here all the time. I have two barn cats and I am worried they may catch whatever he has. He is very sweet and if he stays much longer I will end up keeping him.

I do not know much about cats and wondered if he may just have a cold or something worse. Advice??

Yes, he may be contagious. Can you catch him? Is he friendly at all? The sooner you get him some antibiotics or checked out at the very least the better. Don't let him eat off your other cats' dishes if possible. If he does, wash them.

Let him stay - I think more cats, less mousies. Good luck. Keep us updated.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

I'd definitely treat him as if he was contagious.
    Major problem with cats that are congested is that they can't smell very well, and if they don't smell, they don't eat. Not eating can be pretty bad for cats, so attention of the veterinary sort is definitely something that should be addressed sooner rather than later, if you think you want to keep him around.

If you don't have house cats, (and even if you do), and he is friendly, take him in the house, put him in the bathroom, and let him hang out in there while you shower. 20 minutes of steam a couple of times a day can work wonders. I do a lot of fostering and I have had kittens stay in a room with a humidifier running 24/7 if they are really bad. Antibiotics are needed too, if he is seriously congested. Good luck, and I hope this fellow has found a new home.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

While this has worked for you clint, I'm not sure about the 'taking cat into bathroom and running the shower' thing.... I'm in steamy hot/humid land here and I have had a couple of barn cats who have an upper resp. thing going on all the time. Who knows why it shows up in the summertime! (I've also had a 'strictly indoor' cat with this condition. A long-acting shot of antibiotic is the only thing that seems to help, and I've had to repeat this sometimes 2-3 times b/4 kitty is breathing better/no symptoms. It usually shows up again when the cat is stressed - I believe that it's allergies.

Well, I am going to put up a few flyers just to make sure he does not have an owner. If nobody calls, I will keep him. He actually seemed better this morning and he is eating. If he is still congested, I will get him antibiotics and fixed! So, I guess I need to come up with a name for my new kitty

Saturday or Barney...either way his real name is......Yours.
    Last edited by shiloh; Aug. 3, 2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: .
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.