The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Picky Eater... HELP!!!

I just started my boy on SmartPak supplements. I have him on the Smart Dark & Handsome along with a digestive supplement and a joint supplement. Needless to say he has become a picky eater. As of right now he is just on a pellet grain with the supplements on top. There isn't a whole lot for the supplements to stick to so he ends up just picking out the grain and leaving the supplements in the bottom. I was thinking about adding in molasses. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    A pony is a childhood dream, a horse is an adulthood treasure
    http://turningdreamsintotreasure.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ThaliaFarm

Are they powder or pellet supplements?

I find it is usually easier to get them to eat the pelleted stuff.

If it is power, I (because I too have a picky eater!) mix the feed ration with a little water or oil, then stir it all up so that the supplements stick to the grain or pellets I am feeding.

If that doesn't work, I add just a little (half a handful) of calf manna. I haven't found a horse that doesn't go nuts for calf manna, it has a licorice / fenulgreek smell / flavor.

I have tried adding just fenulgreek without as much success as adding a little calf manna for flavor.

Molasses generally works here. Also sometimes applesauce. Had one horse years back that was very fond of Pepsi. You just have to find what your horse likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Are they powder or pellet supplements?

I find it is usually easier to get them to eat the pelleted stuff.

If it is power, I (because I too have a picky eater!) mix the feed ration with a little water or oil, then stir it all up so that the supplements stick to the grain or pellets I am feeding.

If that doesn't work, I add just a little (half a handful) of calf manna. I haven't found a horse that doesn't go nuts for calf manna, it has a licorice / fenulgreek smell / flavor.

I have tried adding just fenulgreek without as much success as adding a little calf manna for flavor.
    if the water trick doesn't work, where can I get calf manna? I don't think I have ever heard about it.

The supplements are 2 powder and 1 pellet. He doesn't leave any pellets behind so he is getting that one. I think it is mainly the smart dark and handsome that he doesn't like but I don't know for sure.

My horse didn't care for the Calf Manna. But, he can't resist plain 'ol Pancake Syrup. Doesn't take much, makes his food sticky enough for the powder to go down with the ship, and he licks his bowl clean like a good boy.

I haven't met a horse who doesn't adore Cocosoya oil -- it will help your horse's supps stick to his grain, make the supps more palatable, and give him a slicky shiny coat to boot.

If you don't like the idea of using oil, Uckele has some liquid sugar-free flavorings to encourage the horse to eat. If you're worried about sugar, that would be a much better option than molasses.

I also think Smartpak has some flavorings they can add to your supplement pack, but they're powdered (or pelleted?), so they probably wouldn't be as effective as an oil/liquid.

I feed soaked beet pulp. Everything mixes in nicely and my horse eats it all.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

That's a good idea on the oil too! Anything that will help his color look better which is why I got the Smart Dark & Handsome. He has just gotten so bleached out over the summer!

ditto the Cocosoya oil. Every horse I've used it on has gobbled that stuff up. It smells like candy!

You could also add water, I've been adding water to my horse's pellets along with a scoop of the Apple-a-Day electrolytes, which she loves. So that could also be something to try if you didn't want to be adding extra calories.

Beet pulp is also always a go with my horse. But, then again I've only encountered one thing she won't eat-bananas! Go figure.

When my guy wouldn't eat his supplements, I soaked some alfalfa cubes and then mixed the supplements into that. He LOVES alfalfa, but can't have too much as it makes him hot, but five or six cubes, soaked, will hold a lot of powdered supplement. And he thought it was a treat. It's kind of a pain, but it worked for him.