The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for an inexpensive small temp fence for sheep?

A friend recommended cattle panels, but they are more pricey than I thought ($30-$50). Prefer something I can use with t-posts as it's not going to be a permanent fence (maybe a year or so), and want to be able to pull it up easily.

Area to be fenced will be approximately 24' wide and 60' long for 2 ewe lambs. Thanks!

" electric net

Those lambs are sneaky and can get through pretty small holes!

We've got cedar rail & post, with extra cow sized field fence on it. Our lamb is running around eating my lawn right this minute! (actually watching the red brand install video right NOW while I fix that hole...)
    Last edited by Nes; Aug. 2, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: cedar rail & pots would not make a good fence... the hole is now fixed
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

We've used the electric net fencing for years with only one mishap. A ram got his head tangled in the fence and had to be cut out of the net. He was fine.

A lesson we've learned over the years is to have it hot, hot, hot so as soon as their nose touches the net, they get lifted.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

I've used both 'field fencing' wire and 'non-climb' wire on t-posts for our ewes and lambs.

cheapest option a roll of field fence...usually 330ft long, easy to attach to t-posts... easiest temporary option- cattle panels. Yes they cost more up front, but you can sell them for almost new price after your done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    cheapest option a roll of field fence...usually 330ft long, easy to attach to t-posts... easiest temporary option- cattle panels. Yes they cost more up front, but you can sell them for almost new price after your done with them.
    I would agree with this. Problem with lambs and sheep, is putting heads thru those larger openings. Cattle panel will take more abuse than the field fence will as they get bigger and keep trying to graze the other side.

I would suggest you use electric wire in two heights, inside either choice, to keep sheep out of the square holes at all. Do make the wire hot as possible, to discourage them leaning on it. Sheep are dumb, but they ARE trainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I've used both 'field fencing' wire and 'non-climb' wire on t-posts for our ewes and lambs.
    as have we..sheep are, IME, pretty easy on fence..compared to other livestock.

Instead of "field fencing" with the big holes, we used I think they call them horse panels...small small holes, the sheep cant stick their heads thru.

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post

Instead of "field fencing" with the big holes, we used I think they call them horse panels...small small holes, the sheep cant stick their heads thru.
    Those heavy panels with the 4" squares are called "goat panel" here, sold at my local TSC store. However other folks in Michigan have said the goat panel is not always avialable at their stores. Goat panels are also more expensive, since they use more wire to make smaller holes than cattle or other type panels.

I WILL AGREE that they are EXCELLENT panels, useful for the small lambs and horses, even puppies, with the small holes they can't get into or thru.