The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hairy Bareback Pad

I brought my (black) bareback pad home today, to pack it. However all that winter/spring bareback paid a price because it's covered everywhere in hair (grey/white and chestnut). I'm hesitant to use the washer because of the hair sticking to the sides. I'm thinking of just taking it outside, spraying it and flicking off the hair with a stiff brush? Any advice is appreciated.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Brush what you can, then vacuum.

Or take it to the carwash, hang it in the floor mat clips, and spray away. Close in from a slight angle will release quite a lot of it.

Bring a plastic bag to shove it in till you get home, because it will be one drippy mess.

A clean brush (must be sparkling, brand-new clean or you're just going to move hair back and borth between the two), an hour or so of lint rolling, and then a trip through the wash following by more brushing and lint-rolling will get out most of it. However, I have yet to find a way to get pads fully hair-free and always end up packing them in a plastic bag if theyr'e near anything I don't want them shedding on (i.e. anywhere but in my tack trunk.)

Also - do the brushing and lint rolling when it's 100% dry - and outdoors, of course.

If anyone else has a more efficient method, I'm sure OP and I will be stoked to hear it!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal