The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to sell an AP saddle?

Last year I bought a used AP saddle at the suggestion of my saddle fitter. I spent $1300 for it, which seemed a lot for it used, but it was a nice saddle and I figured I'd enjoy it for a long time, so it would be worth it. This is why I never make very quick expensive decisions.

Saddle fitter fitted it to my horse. Either she immediately changed shape after he fitted it to her or it never fit her. But, either way, she immediately changed after I started using this saddle and it took me months to figure out the problem. I called the saddle fitter and he was supposed to come out this weekend to see if he could fix the problem and if it would fit the horse. To be honest, I don't think it will. The saddle she goes nicely in is far wider and I don't think the saddle could be changed that much.

Nonetheless, the horse sold last week. So now I have a saddle and no horse to fit it to. Clearly, its time to sell it. But how? I called around the local tack shops, they feel I'd only get about $300 for it, simply because its an AP.

Where else can I try selling it? Are there areas that AP sell well? All I have around me is a bunch of hunters and no one here will even give it a second look. Any ideas?

As a student who put out her savings on this saddle, I'm a bit bummed to sell it for so little. My fault in the end though for making such quick decision!

IIRC Pony club requires AP saddles. My consignment guy told me he sold my Collegiate AP to a Pony club home. I traded for a new low end cc plus I had to add some cash, so I have to say they are not a hot item.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What brand is it? What condition is it in? Those are 2 factors that can greatly add or drop value.

I don't want to appear to be trying to sell it through this thread, so I can delete these details if necessary. Its definitely used, but in great condition with only light wear in a few places. It is a Jeffries.

Brand, condition, and size will determine a lot with anything called an all-purpose. But not all a/p saddles are created equal. I've seen some labelled a/p that look like some of the more forward-flap dressage saddles but with short billets, and some that I can't tell a difference in from a c/c or other jumping saddle.

If you can, try to drop the term "all-purpose" from the ads. Of course that will only work if it truly looks like it might be a dressage or cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Brand, condition, and size will determine a lot with anything called an all-purpose. But not all a/p saddles are created equal. I've seen some labelled a/p that look like some of the more forward-flap dressage saddles but with short billets, and some that I can't tell a difference in from a c/c or other jumping saddle.

If you can, try to drop the term "all-purpose" from the ads. Of course that will only work if it truly looks like it might be a dressage or cc.
    yeah, there are AP saddles that point strongly towards a certain discipline...worst rides I ever had was in a dressage AP....what's the point if the saddle does not cover your knees when you take up the stirrups a couple of holes...

@ the OP, sorry to hear that neither saddle nor horse worked out.

Good luck selling the saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Clever Pony View Post
    I don't want to appear to be trying to sell it through this thread, so I can delete these details if necessary. Its definitely used, but in great condition with only light wear in a few places. It is a Jeffries.
    Jeffries APs are great, I have an older, beat up one that I paid about $400 for. Last time I checked though, new Jeffries saddles were about $14 - $1600 BRAND NEW, so I don't think you're going to realistically be able to recoup what you paid. If it's still in immaculate condition you might get $1000 for it - bonus if you can do a private sale and so not have to pay a consignment %.

Does it have a model name as well as the brand (IE. Jeffries makes a "falcon" and a few other models)? This will help in your marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    yeah, there are AP saddles that point strongly towards a certain discipline...worst rides I ever had was in a dressage AP....what's the point if the saddle does not cover your knees when you take up the stirrups a couple of holes...
    Those of us with long legs would be totally willing to look at a well-balanced a/p to just use for dressage, as long as the flap is long. Not saying anything about this saddle in particular, but it's very hard to find dressage saddles that fit my butt and also my legs. My knee is almost always right on top of the blocks unless my butt is halfway up the cantle.

Was just an idea if the saddle looks the part aside from short billets. I've definitely seen some a/p saddles that I swear are really dressage saddles with a slightly forward flap and short billets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Those of us with long legs would be totally willing to look at a well-balanced a/p to just use for dressage, as long as the flap is long. Not saying anything about this saddle in particular, but it's very hard to find dressage saddles that fit my butt and also my legs. My knee is almost always right on top of the blocks unless my butt is halfway up the cantle.

Was just an idea if the saddle looks the part aside from short billets. I've definitely seen some a/p saddles that I swear are really dressage saddles with a slightly forward flap and short billets.

you would have really hated the saddle I was in...I am (was) a skinny 5'5" and taking the stirrups up a couple holes put my knees over the knee roll...yuck....

but I see your point.
    I love me a well balanced AP saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

OK - I found your listing on Ebay - (I think - the listing has the same story anyhow) I see the problem. I think you're going to have a rough time getting more then $500 - $600 for this saddle. Yes, it's clean and not scuffed, but it's also an older model of this saddle and the leather shows it's age, as well as the wrinkled knee rolls, so would not be a great saddle for riders that like their show tack to look brand new.

Being as you're from my area in Canada - try listing it on Trentriders.com and the EMG message boards - I have had good luck with both of these before (this is also where I bought MY Jeffries!).

It is a Jeffries Falcon. I didn't think I was going to recoup my costs on it. I just don't want to lose more than I have to. My heart sunk when my local tack shop said they could only get $300 for it. I paid $1600 including having the saddle fitted and it never worked well for my horse. Live and learn I guess!

I think it is more dressagy of an AP. I had it on my medium pony and it looked just like a dressage saddle. If she had liked it, it would have worked well to be a dressage saddle. I've been listing it as an "event saddle" to hopefully get away from calling it a AP saddle. Should I try to list it as a sort of dressage saddle then?

I won't post the picture here, but Far_North_Equestrian has found it on Ebay, if anyone is curious.

Far_North_Equestrian: Thanks for the advice! It is listed on EMG, but I'll also list it on Trentriders. The price range you mentioned is what I figured I might have to accept for it, but I was putting it on Ebay for $800 to see what happened.

Definitely think $300 is a lowball offer, but when you trade in tack, like when you trade in a car that is generally what you get. The shop wants to be able to re-sell the used saddle at a profit. Also, you MIGHT be able to get $800 or $900 if it was on consignment somewhere, BUT you'll loose 30-50% of it in consignment fees anyways. It also may sit at the consignment shop for years before selling.

BTW, if you're in need of a good saddle fitter in future and don't want the same guy you had before who is clearly not very reliable, PM me. I know of a very good lady that does good work and will travel down your way.

One other tip - on your ebay listing, put the word "saddle" in the listing title. It will make it show up on more searches. You might also want to add the tree size to the title (IE Med, wide, etc. ) and the seat size. I will often narrow searches based on other words when a search for just one word turns up too many matches. For example when you search for "jeffries" right off, you get books by authors named jeffries, and also tack. I would be more likely to search for "jeffries saddle" to get the listings I want. Or, if I was looking specifically for a med. tree I'd search for "saddle medium" or "saddle 17" if looking for a specific seat size.

Thank you for the further advice! I changed the ad right away. Hopefully I can now find someone to buy it. Lovely saddle... too bad it didn't work out.