The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Jingles needed for my Aurora...RIP my baby girl

My little yellow lab, now 9, that I have had since 8weeks of age, may have blown a disc in her back. We've had issues of late with back end lameness and pain and last week she was dx with a Kidney infection. Once on the antibiotics the pain got got much better so since there were no findings on the xrays vet thought it could all be due to the kidney issue.

This morning she came in from outside and could not move after sitting down. She started crying and just was unable to stand/walk/anything. I rushed her back to the vet and now am at work waiting to hear back on the tests.
    I'm prepared for the worst, thinking that I'll bring her home for a day or two if we can make her comfortable to be able to say goodbye. We have 3 other dogs that were very concerned with her crying and I can't imagine them not getting a chance, but if she isn't comfy I can't have her suffering either...

I'm at such a loss right now...we also had a cat dx with Kidney failure who will probably only last another month or two. We knew it was going to get hard since all 7 of the dogs/cats are over 7 (8-15) but I'm not ready yet!
    Last edited by paintedtrails; Aug. 2, 2011 at 02:41 PM.

I'm so sorry. Been there, lost my collie last winter. She went down in the driveway and couldn't get up. With the right pain meds, she was improving. Her last day was a good and she died in her sleep. She had a history of chronic Lyme disease and her body was riddled with arthritis, poor baby.

Hopefully, you can get him some pain relief and he will improve. Jingles.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Jingles for something fixable!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

jingles

Jingles and hugs- don't give up on her yet.

Jingles from two Labs in Arizona!

Default preparing to say goodbye...

well, no good news to report
    Nothing exciting on the xrays but she did see a narrower space between 2 vertebrae confirming the thought of a disc rupture or herniation.
    She continues to have no feeling in the back legs, unlike the last episode where it returned after rest/pain meds.

Not only that, but the kidney infection we thought was under control is WORSE after over a week of antibiotics and her liver was now showing damage.... She is no longer a candidate for surgery , but we were unlikely going to go that route. The vet highly doubts a recovery of her organs at this point as well...

we have decided to bring her home tomorrow morning for a few hours. Let our other dogs say goodbye and let us spend more time cuddling and spoiling her. I've had my little runt lab since she was 8weeks old and 6lbs. I can't believe I'll be saying goodbye to her tomorrow already... I hurt so bad and can't stop crying over her. I know she's off to a better place with no pain and all the lakes and toys she could ever want, but I want here with me longer...

I'm so very sorry. Hugs to you and to Aurora.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

How heartbreaking! Jingles for all of you.

As much as it must pain you to do so, please take comfort in knowing you're choosing the right thing for her. You obviously gave her so many wonderful, loving years, and you're going to give her the most peaceful rest as well.

So sorry to hear about your girl.
    May all of the memories bring you some joy and comfort during this time of sadness.

This is so sad that it brought tears to my eyes in nothing flat. Bless you for doing what's best for your girl. That's what good moms do.
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Terribly sorry,, these things are always so difficult.

Im so sorry, its never an easy thing but it sounds like you are an extremely selfless owner and wont let her suffer. I pray she has a little more time with you.

I'm so very sorry. No matter how many times you have to do it, it never gets easier.

I'm so sorry that your heart is hurting. Stay strong, many hugs to you and your baby.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

So sorry. It never get easier.

So sorry to hear about your dog. Know that you are doing the best thing for her to ease her pain/suffering. Hugs.

Default oh sweetie, i'm so sorry.

(((hugs))) to you and yours.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

So sorry about your dog. It is so hard when they start getting old and you know that the days are running out.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry