My little yellow lab, now 9, that I have had since 8weeks of age, may have blown a disc in her back. We've had issues of late with back end lameness and pain and last week she was dx with a Kidney infection. Once on the antibiotics the pain got got much better so since there were no findings on the xrays vet thought it could all be due to the kidney issue.
This morning she came in from outside and could not move after sitting down. She started crying and just was unable to stand/walk/anything. I rushed her back to the vet and now am at work waiting to hear back on the tests.
I'm prepared for the worst, thinking that I'll bring her home for a day or two if we can make her comfortable to be able to say goodbye. We have 3 other dogs that were very concerned with her crying and I can't imagine them not getting a chance, but if she isn't comfy I can't have her suffering either...
I'm at such a loss right now...we also had a cat dx with Kidney failure who will probably only last another month or two. We knew it was going to get hard since all 7 of the dogs/cats are over 7 (8-15) but I'm not ready yet!
Last edited by paintedtrails; Aug. 2, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
I'm so sorry. Been there, lost my collie last winter. She went down in the driveway and couldn't get up. With the right pain meds, she was improving. Her last day was a good and she died in her sleep. She had a history of chronic Lyme disease and her body was riddled with arthritis, poor baby.
Hopefully, you can get him some pain relief and he will improve. Jingles.
well, no good news to report
Nothing exciting on the xrays but she did see a narrower space between 2 vertebrae confirming the thought of a disc rupture or herniation.
She continues to have no feeling in the back legs, unlike the last episode where it returned after rest/pain meds.
Not only that, but the kidney infection we thought was under control is WORSE after over a week of antibiotics and her liver was now showing damage.... She is no longer a candidate for surgery , but we were unlikely going to go that route. The vet highly doubts a recovery of her organs at this point as well...
we have decided to bring her home tomorrow morning for a few hours. Let our other dogs say goodbye and let us spend more time cuddling and spoiling her. I've had my little runt lab since she was 8weeks old and 6lbs. I can't believe I'll be saying goodbye to her tomorrow already... I hurt so bad and can't stop crying over her. I know she's off to a better place with no pain and all the lakes and toys she could ever want, but I want here with me longer...
As much as it must pain you to do so, please take comfort in knowing you're choosing the right thing for her. You obviously gave her so many wonderful, loving years, and you're going to give her the most peaceful rest as well.