The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vaccine question

Does anyone here do their own vaccines? If so where do you get them?

To save some money a good friend of mine is willing to come up to the barn and give my 2 guys their vaccines, (he is a small animal vet), but I need to get them first. I can not seem to find them online, although I am not very computer savy!!

Jeffers Vet Supply
    Valley Vet Supply

Or if you don't want to risk shipping them in hot weather, Tractor Supply sells them.
    Click here before you buy.

I think most experienced horse people do their own vaccines. You do no need to even know where to buy them, just google the vaccine you want, and you will get lots of options, as above.

4 in 1 equine vaccine buy:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=4+in+...A&ved=0CDsQrQQ

Allivet, Fosters and Smith, KV Vet supply, etc. Even in hot weather, you can get them shipped overnight with ice packs. It's cheaper if you can order a bunch at once, so if you need anything for the dog, cat, or other people, get it all at once.

You shouldn't need someone to give a shot for you. For horses you can literally almost throw it at them. Again, Google is your friend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxegxets1k
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1018/

I find this so strange, I moved recently from Alberta where the local vet clinic (that I was a tech at) sold horse vaccines over the counter. Now in Ontario, even as a tech I can't buy my own vaccines to give my horses. It's ridiculus. Oh well, just a vent.

Shipping vaccines can get pricey, so I would see if you can get them from a local feed store or Tractor Supply, etc.

Thanks everyone!! I will check Tractor Supply, never thought of them!!

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner!! I could have been giving my own vaccines for years already.

When I only need a few vaccines I just go to my vet's office and buy them. It's a little higher at the office but cheaper in the long run because I'm not paying shipping. That also gives me a chance to review what his recommedations for our area are.

Many feed stores/ranch supply stores carry vaccines.....you probably want to check their expiration dates carefully or buy from a source that has a pretty good turnover. Depending on what amount you buy you can sometimes get free shipping if you buy on-line...tons of suppliers there but go with one that is an established company. Some vets will sell over the counter (and some will even teach you how to do them.....they'd rather the horses get them from you than miss them because a ranch call to do them is $200). Be aware that in some states having someone do them for you and paying that person would put the person in the position of practicing vet care (and if not a vet could be a legal issue if there were any reactions or problems).
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV