The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mercer County Fair Ladies' Speed racking

This is a hoot, and I guess falls under the category of 'now for something completely different'! There is some pacing too, and it appears that only one of the horses is clearly recognizable as a Saddlebred. Later that evening there also was a 'racking and pacing' championship. Interestingly enough, the woman who won, and her Sister who also placed high, both are Saddlebred trainers and Daughters of the legendary, late, great Tom Moore and the legendary Donna Moore. Enjoy!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtp8...ature=youtu.be

The extreme 'chair seat' is cracking me up too...and BTW the winner is the one with short blond hair and purple/lavender outfit.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Jul. 31, 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

What. the. hell. ? I don't get it

Are these all ASBs or are STBs in this class?

Shouldn't they have a beer in one hand whilst they do this?

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Shouldn't they have a beer in one hand whilst they do this?
    Not in the show ring, silly!

I was back at the barns and missed this class, dammit. Rumor has it that after there were no horses in the racking/ pacing class earlier in the week, Melissa and Melinda rented/borrowed horses for this class. I did catch the open racking/pacing Championship later that night- there must have been 10 or twelve horses in there- and they were FAST!

lolalola- In that class there was one ASB- the lady in formal attire. That horse was trying for all he was worth but there's no way he was gonna keep up with the rest of the pack. From what I understand, the speed racking guys like a STB/ASB or STB/TWH or all three breeds in the mix.

Oh, and if you've ever ridden anything that racks (or even trots) that fast, you have to stick your legs out in front of you and lean back if you have any hope of staying on!

The feather boas!!!! What a hoot!

I love the feather boas - dressage needs feather boas!

And they all looked like they were having a blast. Nice to see so many smiles.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Not in the show ring, silly!

I was back at the barns and missed this class, dammit. Rumor has it that after there were no horses in the racking/ pacing class earlier in the week, Melissa and Melinda rented/borrowed horses for this class. I did catch the open racking/pacing Championship later that night- there must have been 10 or twelve horses in there- and they were FAST!

lolalola- In that class there was one ASB- the lady in formal attire. That horse was trying for all he was worth but there's no way he was gonna keep up with the rest of the pack. From what I understand, the speed racking guys like a STB/ASB or STB/TWH or all three breeds in the mix.

Oh, and if you've ever ridden anything that racks (or even trots) that fast, you have to stick your legs out in front of you and lean back if you have any hope of staying on!
    I believe one of the ladies in the first class fell off. I don't think the camera was on her when it happened but there was a time out and they panned to the lady who was standing. Not sure what the rules are but apparently one isn't excused for separating from the horse.

The championship was exciting. At first I thought there would be some collisions.

That grey was remarkably fast and still stylish at the same time. You could tell the rider was good as well, it didn't fall out of gait in the corners like a lot of the others.

Love the boas, hysterical.

That poor ASB looked so out of place! He was giving it the old college try but it was like putting a very cute Andalusian in the Kentucky Derby.

I want to show with a boa!

It is a dream of mine to have a speed racking horse. I'm sure I'd fall off though, so I might settle for a Paso Fino with a smokin' largo.

This is an awesome video of the legendary speed racking stallion Falcon Rowdy. Yes, the rider only has one arm and is riding bareback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HuEccBod-0

This was fantastic! LOVE the boas!

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    It is a dream of mine to have a speed racking horse. I'm sure I'd fall off though, so I might settle for a Paso Fino with a smokin' largo.
    <enabler>I know where you can get one. </enabler>

The only way to sit a racker is to get in the 'recliner' and go- they just sorta jiggle you to a sweet spot and there you go, hilarious fun.

My all-time favorite is the GraveDigger.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

That looked like awesome fun - LUV the feather boas

Leather:

Now that was some Racking!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Rbow View Post
    My all-time favorite is the GraveDigger.
    Ditto.

And here's GD with his best friend, the spotted racking Mule!!!

Now, a spotted-racking mule, ridden by feather-boa clad ladies would really be a sight to behold
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Now that looks like fun. Do racking horses hold up well over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post

This is an awesome video of the legendary speed racking stallion Falcon Rowdy. Yes, the rider only has one arm and is riding bareback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HuEccBod-0
    WHOA!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post

I was actually going to say this. I had the pleasure of riding a gaited pony on trails one summer - and got to figure out how to ride the gaits the hard way. The only way I could sit his faster gaits (which I believe was a rack) was too tilt my pelvis so I was sitting WAY back on my pockets compared to a "normal" english seat.