The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Buyer buys horse ~ ruins the horse ~ now wants my help in selling him for 2x $$

I will try to be concise:

I sold a horse earlier this year. The new owner originally had problems with him which were fixed with a proper fitting saddle.

A friend sent me a sale link of the horse earlier this week. The website has a video of the horse being ridden. And I couldn't believe the change a few months had made. The horse that jumped dead center at 3'6" with his knees around his eyeballs is now jumping inverted, head in the air with his knees folded under his body and twisting in order to get over the 3' fence. Ugg - not a pretty sight but also something I can't not fix right now. Not my horse.

But the new owner has this guy listed at 2x the amount paid. I have no problem the new owner making a profit but I had sold him for what he was worth. He hasn't been improved upon and the market hasn't gotten better so I'm not sure who is going to plunk down the $$ for him right now. Again not my horse not my problem right?!?

Wrong. The owner leaves a message on my phone asking for help in selling the horse. I am inclined to decline - I'm not a broker or a trainer (there was supposed to be a trainer at one time). I don't think anyone involved is going to want to hear my opinion or options available. BUT I bought this horse as a baby and there are emotions involved. I just can see this coming back and biting me in the @$$. {{{sigh}}}
    Last edited by Old Fashioned; Aug. 1, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

you are terribly sorry but you are unable to help her at this time

:>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

One of those situations where no matter what you decide, it is not going to make you happy.

So, make a choice of what is the less unhappy of it all, for whatever reasons you want to consider and stick with it.

Ditto Tamara's comment. Business decisions as much as possible should be separated from emotional involvement.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I agree with what's been said. You made the decision to sell the horse. Now you have to let it go. I'm not sure what you could do to help them.

You said it in your post. You aren't a trainer or a broker.

I'm sorry about your horse. I hope it's next owner rides it better.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I feel your pain. I do take consignments and just got the first foal born on the farm sent to me to sell. She is 10 years old and green as grass. She can be ridden, but needs to learn about steering and aides. Sweet mare, the spitting image of her dam, and trying hard to please.

It makes me shake my head thinking that for 10 years they did nothing much with her except let the kids fool with her. Mr. IF and I will probably buy her back as they want very little for her.

it is not the same situation as the OP's situation of having a made horse ruined, but having a horse with all the potential in the world being made into nothing is pretty disheartening, too.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

This is very sad. For the horse's sake, I hope OP will find a way to keep tabs on the horse, because it may end up at a very low end auction. The OP might at that time be able to rescue the horse, for a very low price.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    One of those situations where no matter what you decide, it is not going to make you happy.

So, make a choice of what is the less unhappy of it all, for whatever reasons you want to consider and stick with it.

This.
    I had a similar situation with my first horse. Girl buys horse at a price that is the high-end of fair value for the horse's training level (nice horse, dual-registered and the whole 9 yards). She's thrilled. Then she takes horse to snobby equine college. 2 weeks into school year, owner wants me to buy back the horse (probably becuase one of the english coaches said "you can't to english on an APPY), at 2 1/2x the purchase price - because teaching the mare how to neck-rein consitutes "awesome futher training". I essentially told her that I'd be willing to take horse off her hands if needed, but was not even in a position to pay what I sold her for, nevermind the asking price, and kindly explained that I put right of first refusal clauses in my sale contracts to keep my horses from winding up on the meat truck.

Girl takes this as a personal insult, and blocks me on facebook. I was devistated to not know where my little mare would go, as at least the girl is a good horsewoman and the mare is getting the best of care with her. I just had to make the decision that I was not going to worry anymore. The deal was already done, I can't un-sell the horse.

We are actually back in touch now, as if nothing ever happened. She wound up finding a PBer for the mare, which seems to be working out... I've just decided that the girl is a little bit flaky and nuts, but really will be sure the mare is looked after no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fashioned View Post
    ...A friend sent me a sale link of the horse earlier this week. The website has a video of the horse being ridden. And I couldn't believe the change a few months had made. The horse that jumped dead center at 3'6" with his knees around his eyeballs is now jumping inverted, head in the air with his knees folded under his body and twisting in order to get over the 3' fence...
    Would this, perhaps, be the web site mentioned above?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16icef/index.html
    Jennifer Thomas Alcott
    Woodville, Virginia
    http://www.theshingleshanty.com

OMG at the video link posted above, can't BELIEVE they would put that footage on a sales ad!!!!
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

Wow, that whole video looks uncomfortable for horse and rider, to say the least.

I HATE when good people ruin good horses
    A student in all things.

This is a living, breathing FEELING being you care much about. Do what you can to relieve its suffering. What's wrong with taking it for "training"?

Jennifer - No, that's not the horse or site. That looks like a young girl riding. Maybe it would be best to remove the link.

Nightsong - I would LOVE to take him on but I'm stretched way too thin already.

Thanks for the responses. I've sent the sale information to a few people who were really interested in him before. And the trainer at my barn, who loved this horse, is looking into some options. But that is as far as either of us will go.
    Last edited by Old Fashioned; Aug. 1, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

Default sale horse

I'd do it only if the horse was brought back t my place for training while it is being sold------------does she expect you to do all the marketing, etc for this horse? That is also not free or cheap. Do not let her know how emotionally attached you are (still) to this horse---I understand---and if in a short time it is not sold, ask her if she'd like to return/give him back to you------free--------no $$ involved----then he is off her hands and safe with you to fix.

Best you can do is remind good contacts that he's available now and needs some rewiring to get him going well again. Promote him to good homes, but I'd leave her on the hot seat to get him sold.

Somebody get the popcorn.

"Old Fashioned"....? can you provide any info on the horse? I have a VERY strong conviction that Jennifer is correct.

How's Annabell?

And, if that conviction IS correct, your 'buyer' has MUCH more to be concerned about . Why someone would sell that horse as an eventer and then cry foul is beyond me.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Hmmm. I suspect there is some weird back story that some of the posters know and the rest of us don't, judging by some of the posts...

As it stands, I would say "no, I can't." I sold a horse due to divorce, the buyer emailed me a year or two down the road saying he couldn't keep him, and could I help, implying buy him back? I emailed some sites to advertise the horse and explained that I was now boarding and couldn't afford to board him. Horse goes to auction, new owners get in touch with me (he was a rescue, BC 2), I give them all his breeding info and send a letter so they can transfer ownership, since the first buyer didn't. A girl many states away buys him, several months later emails ME asking me to buy him back...three buyers down the road?? Same as above, I'm boarding, and now I'm a little concerned about where he'll land but there is no way I can help.

When you sell, you have to be ready to handle people screwing the horse up or worse.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I don't know either the OP or the person who posted a video link, but think it's a bit silly to accuse the OP of it being THAT horse when there are thousands of sales vids on Youtube - and probably a couple hundred that show horses jumping badly.

That said - if that is your horse, and they'll give you the horse back, go get it back! the girl in that vid may be one of the worst riders I have ever seen, ever. She shouldn't even be allowed to ride a carousel horse... nevermind a live one... Yuck.

Evidently this is pretty common! I had a gelding 2 years ago who was drop dead gorgeous, but absolutely required a strong decisive rider. He'd been allowed to get sloppy and disobedient with a previous owner, so it took me a good while to get him going well. I'd gotten the spook out of him, his ground manners improved to near perfection, and his transitions were correct and spot on eventually. Well, a friend just loved him, begged and begged me to sell him to (this person) and I eventually did, mainly because I found myself in a position where I needed to downsize in the horse department.

I DID however tell (friend) this horse needed a rider who didn't question himself, who could make split decisions and follow through, no wavering and letting the horse make the choices. "No beginners!" I firmly insisted. If this friend was to be his rider, then fine, I had total confidence in their ability and experience.

So a few months later friend showed me a video he'd taken of his young daughter riding the horse. Oh, boy. Well, they were in a ring, but man, it was awful. The girl, about 12 years old (!!!!!!) sat there in classic chair seat, toes pointed down, horse bombing along flat backed, head in the sky. I was shocked, had no idea this child was a raw, rank beginner. When she let the horse shuffle into a canter, he took the wrong lead of course, all the way around and around, no one even noticed this it appeared. I didn't know what to say, except to ask if the daughter was taking lessons? Answer: no.

So, you guessed it..... a few months later this friend asked if I wanted to buy the gelding back. He said he didn't have time to work with him. Well, what's changed??? So, in fact he HAD bought the horse for his beginner daughter - never had planned to have him as a mount for himself. I passed, I don't have the time or desire to start all over again re-training this horse. He's the sort who needs a strong rider ALL the time, not some dandy who only needs a quick refresher course in manners and is then later good to go with anyone.

I suggested all the websites to advertise him. In the end the horse was given to a neighbor as a pasture puff. I just wonder how bad he'd gotten that they didn't even want to have people come and try him out for purchase? :0

yes, there is certainly more to the story, and yes, that is the horse in question.

Most likely "Old Fashioned" will now not ever post again, but per history, will instead create yet another member name, and join anew. Not only will the discipline change, but even the horse nicknames will.

This is the song that never ends...yes, it goes on and on, my friends!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett