The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Disturbing CL

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Oh dear. Someone might flag the ad- it is a photo of a horse with a bloody forehead, and the text:
    To the person who shot my horse with a 22 in his forehead ( he is alive) I believe I know who you are and if not I will find you and you will pay. ADT System is up and I have a present for you so please stop by. COWARD! Who hurts a animal? Police report was made I will find you all in due time!!!!!!
    My riding instructor had her horse shot for no apparent reason ten years ago. He was 'intensive care' for a couple of weeks there (fed mush by stomach tube, breathing/airway held open, IV fluids) but survived with a droopy right side of his face and went on to be ridden again.

One of mine was shot in a front leg, also probably a .22, after a neighbor threatened to kill me and my animals because one of my dogs BARKED at his kid who was using my driveway to catch the school bus (running across the road and into the property in front of the bus rather than waiting and crossing when the bus was stopped even with her own drive as she was supposed to)....sheriffs office didn't even offer to come out and take photos until two weeks later...told them "sure, come on out, if you hurry you'll still find the scab on the wound"...didn't show. My house was also broken into (sheriff claimed that the two house dogs managed to open not one but two round brass doorknobs). Person doing the threatening was son in law of one of the old name ranchers in the area. I'm now armed.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Someone shot and killed a bull at night up the street from my boarding barn a year or two ago. As a result, we never turn the horses out after dark! What kind of creep does that?

A friend of mine has been dealing with ongoing acts of vandalism. A couple weeks ago it escalated to an attack on one of her horses with what looked like a garden claw. She feels luck that was ALL that was done.

Police come out after each incident, but never find anyone to arrest. Her neighbor also has had several incidents of vandalsim including the destruction of her yard lighting system. Not those little solar lights but lights connected by cable underground and controlled by a box near her meter.

Box was smashed and the cable was cut where it entered each light--- all 24 of them. THAT took some time to do. Supposedly, the poplice are making extra rounds on their road. HA HA

Same situation there, too. Police come out, take pictures and say they are going to write a report, but no one is ever caught.

There are some very sick, cowardly, mean and just plain evil people in this world. I hope the horse in the CL picture recovers fully.

Just...horrific.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    One of mine was shot in a front leg, also probably a .22, after a neighbor threatened to kill me and my animals because one of my dogs BARKED at his kid who was using my driveway to catch the school bus (running across the road and into the property in front of the bus rather than waiting and crossing when the bus was stopped even with her own drive as she was supposed to)....sheriffs office didn't even offer to come out and take photos until two weeks later...told them "sure, come on out, if you hurry you'll still find the scab on the wound"...didn't show. My house was also broken into (sheriff claimed that the two house dogs managed to open not one but two round brass doorknobs). Person doing the threatening was son in law of one of the old name ranchers in the area. I'm now armed.
    Too bad you aren't in Alaska. No kidding, you could shoot him dead for making the threat (so long as he was on your property when he did it).
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Ad is gone. I worry around here. I'm careful who I piss off. We've had a lot of trouble with newspaper delivery, I can get the local town paper, but the Lexington paper was a problem. It was either not here, or finally showed up about 10 am. I complained. News carrier put an illiterate note in my box twice saying that it cost him money when I complained, etc, etc. Then told me I'd be sorry. I canceled the paper (not that it was worth the money anyway, they've cut it down to two sections). It just wasn't worth the chance.

The newspaper did nothing. They've lost all their customers on my road and don't seem to care. The same guy still works for them, as far as I can tell.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Geez LKY, I guess we were lucky that our carrier (Miss Text-only) quit. She did tell the new lady that the paper went in the next door neighbor's driveway, I guess to get even or get the new lady in trouble. One call to new lady (who does answer her phone BTW) and it was all fixed. New lady has yet to deal with winter but I don't expect to get my paper if the school busses won't run. (the rural mail carrier delivers though, daylight does make a difference)

We can move all our junk to the back side of ridge one, including shifting the horses, and keep an attractive, empty, frontage easily. The only problem is mowing!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Too bad you aren't in Alaska. No kidding, you could shoot him dead for making the threat (so long as he was on your property when he did it).
    I'm moving to Alaska.

But seriously, I have no tolerance AT ALL for people vandalizing property. Whether it be a home, car, animal etc. Same goes for stealing.

I think if caught there should be a zero tolerance rule. Yes, I am a little harsh but if you're vandalizing my property clearly you're a scum bag anyone and we should dispose you as such.

If anyone I didn't invite is on my property I consider them a threat (well, unless it's like a sister that decided to pop in). I am a little paranoid but there is so many bad things happening everywhere nowadays that I feel as though I really have to be wary of people.