The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Proud Flesh/EGT

Looking for suggestions on a wound with proud flesh that we've been trying to get rid of for 5 months. Here's what's been done so far:
    Typical wound treatment initially, the cut was approximately 3 inches on the front leg near the tendons, deep, but no tendons involvement.
    Proud flesh appeared just as the wound was almost completely healed.
    Tried an old product called Derma Plus, by Equicare which was working ok, but can't get it anymore because Farnam bought them out and discontinued it.
    Tried Wonder Dust, wrapped, not wrapped.
    Vet said SSD and wrapping, tried that, got worse.
    Vet cut off proud flesh, mixed Dex with the SSD, wrapped 24/7 with mixture, proud flesh returned.
    Now using silver nitrate sticks and wrapping, which keeps the EGT at bay, but the wound is not closing (its now about the size of the pad of my thumb but slightly wider, so its not huge, but still needs to be handled).
    Skin graft is being suggested, but I'm wondering if I just need to use silver nitrate more often (several times a day) and combine with Granulex, or what?
    Ideas? Similar experinces? Anything I haven't tried you can think of?

The last time I used silver nitrate sticks I used them once daily.

On one horse the vet had us use one of those plastic mesh scrubber things (looks like a ball of folded up plastic mesh).

We dipped the scrubber in diluted betadine solution, and then used that to debride the proud flesh on the leg when needed.

It was gross to scrub it away like that, but the horse didn't feel it, and it worked well.

(the wound was only about 1x3 inches on the front of the cannon).

Proud flesh can take a long time to heal.

I've used amnion with some success.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...es/eqamnion03/
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Adolf's Meat Tenderizer mixed with triple antibiotic ointment.

At least part of why it isn't getting smaller is prob cuz the skin edges need to be undermined to let the new skin grow. Skin stops growing when it runs into something. So if the new skin edges are grown INTO the EGT, they have have stopped growing and will never cover the wound.

Using silver nitrate isn't high on my list but if you insist on using it, do NOT get in on the skin edges. Killing the new skin cells is working against you.

Meghan - I agree, and am careful not to get the edges with silver nitrate, but I'm worried the edges are no longer migrating across regardless because of how much time has elapsed.

Sounds like debriding one way or the other is the solution. I'll keep working at it.

Any other ideas?

Equaide. It works great - it's expensive for a small bottle, but it will save you time, money, and worry in the long run.

http://www.equaide.com/?gclid=CNaoqO...FYgW2godcXC7Wg

I read the testimonials on the Equaide and ordered some. I figured, it can't hurt to try one more thing before we do skin grafts... I'll let you guys know it if works.

Here's hoping...

I hope it works!

I've dealt with some really nasty degloving injuries over the years and the following work great:

To deal with proud flesh once it's started, I've had great success by mixing powdered aspirin into Furicin ointment - think sugar into lard here, you want it grainy depending on the area that needs to be covered. Wrap and change daily. I've noticed reduction in proud flesh on a daily basis this way.

Once you are to the no longer wrapping point and you have good granulation but not too much, I love Granulex. It's awesome. Helps slough off any necrotic tissue leaving a nice pink healthy, well-lubricated wound bed. It's used in hospitals on decubitus ulcers.

I also like Cut Heal alot and it now comes in a handy spray in addition to the bottle with dauber. For wounds that need to be left open to get air, it does a great job of preventing over-granulation. It does need to be cleaned off (I used betadine scrub or Novalsan) at least every other day and reapplied, but like Granulex, leaves a well lubricated wound bed, is sticky, so flies stay away from it and also gives a protective, if messy barrier.

Best of luck.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

I sware by equiaide. I wouldn't use anything else on a leg wound. Eats away all the proud flesh and the cut heals up nicely with little to no scar. Its worth the money. You can wrap it or leave in unwrapped. Works good both ways. I wrapped it when it was muddy outside and left it off at night in the stall.