The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GOOD trainer thread: Why do you love your trainer?

There have been a lot of bad trainer threads lately, so here's to the good ones!

Ahem.

I love my trainer because she loves my horse and because she is totally dedicated to training him the right way, never with force, but always with gentle persuasion. She is teaching me to get what I want from him by giving and allowing. When she rides, she can frequently be heard to say, "Good boy!" and then giving him a loose rein. She has helped transform him from an OTTB to a dressage prodigy.

One day after a good rain, water had filled the water jump on the jumping course. I asked her if she had ever taken him through it, and she said, "No, but let's see if he will." This was at the end of the hour, so she should have been checking her watch, but no, she instead tried to get him to put a foot in. He refused a few times, so she dismounted, took off her boots and socks, rolled up her breeches, and hand-walked him in. She said, "Once you ask and they say no, you have to be prepared to do whatever it takes!" So he learned to walk through water that day!

That's why I love my trainer.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I love my trainer because she is patient and very nice, but doesn't sugar coat things. She is honest and straight up with people, which I think is a very good quality in an instructor. I love my trainer because even though she is getting to be a relatively BN and has trained multiple Junior and Young Riders, she is understanding that even though I am a once a week rider, I am just as dedicated as those with fancy horses and a huge riding budget.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Oh how I love my trainer let me count the ways, lol! She recognized a horse crazy middle aged re-rider gave her a very afforadable lease and takes her to shows and clinics.
    If one horse didn't work out or was moving on she would replace that horse with another for me. She gets on the evil pony when she is being evil Did I mention the afforadable lease?
    I really could go on and on but the chicken on the bbq is buring right now.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I haven't ridden with my new trainer yet (still waiting for the ok from my dr/physical therapist) but I love that when I called to talk to her, she was already finding ways for me to learn while grounded. She was willing to put together a list of clinics and recommend books for me to keep learning until I can ride. I love how I didn't get brushed off just because I can't ride yet.

I love my trainer because first and foremost she is an excellent caregiver to our horses. She's also the barn owner & manager. I love that when things get broken or damaged at the farm it is fixed immediately. the last barn I was at had a tendency to find more ways to use duct tape for repairs I love that she keeps her prices affordable and love that she is a good, technical trainer. She will always take the time to show and/or explain how to do something - whether it is riding related or horse care/grooming related.

I don't love that she is sometimes harder on the kids than she needs to be, and I don't like that she can be quite vocal in schooling areas and at ingate at shows

I love my trainer because I have never seen her raise her voice or get angry with her students, she's always calm, patient, and understanding. I've been her working student over the summer and it's the best job ever. She's been so generous and I'm very, very lucky.

She's honest and can always get the best out of a horse & rider. She might not be well-known, but her students have been very successful. Her style is a blend of classical and competitive dressage, and she brings in clinicians of both types. I love that she doesn't get too fixated on one method, and instead finds individual strategies that work for each horse.

All the horses at the barn are healthy and happy, and her management (she's also the barn owner) keeps the place drama-free.

I loff my trainer because she TOTALLY GETS IT that w/ a baby horse as "conformationally challenged" as Q, you have GOT to take it sllllloooooow; because she TOTALLY GETS IT that the foundation for great work over fences is correct flatwork; because she graciously accepts input from an older, more experienced but no-longer-riding ammie; b/c she's always up for an entertaining adventure that a lot of bigger-name H/J trainers would not be ("let's take him to a Saddlebred show/find a place to take them swimming/take all the greenies to that Extreme Trail competition up the road"); because she drew me a BEAUTIFUL portrait of the late HRH Avery - and besides - find me another H/J trainer ANYWHERE who, with a tornado looming, would bring the horses in the house!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

If someone doesn't love or like the trainer they are using....why are they using them?
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

I love that my trainer knows how to teach each of us the way we need to be taught. She can get on any horse, and have them figured out within minutes. We learn things that make sense, esp when you go to a show knowing what you know, and you watch a class where everyone makes the same mistake. But if they knew what logical thing we've been taught, the mistake would easy to fix and prevent.
    She is also the BO and takes impeccable care of our horses. Each one is treated like her own and there is never a question of their safety.

I am proud to belong and trainer with such an incredible woman and trainer.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    because she drew me a BEAUTIFUL portrait of the late HRH Avery - and besides - find me another H/J trainer ANYWHERE who, with a tornado looming, would bring the horses in the house!

WINNER so far! Now those are two wildly divergent examples of going above and beyond!

So many of us (me for sure) use the anonymity of this forum to gripe about our situations, so I really wanted to hear some positives.

If it were just about the horses, more of us would be plunking around on our own. I've done that by choice many times because it's hard to find the right combination of facility and trainer. But it's about learning and improving, and the people who help us get there.

More stories, please!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I love my trainer because she meets me where I am -- she knows that I am not a competitive rider, that I enjoy my horses primarily for stress-relief and fun, and she is okay with that. I love her because she truly loves and understands horses -- she expects horses to be HORSES and yet she also expects them to behave.

I especially love to watch her work my horses, and see how they melt like butter in her hands. She inspires me. She is nice and honest and easy to talk to. She has good ideas, a strong work ethic, and an amazing degree of flexibility.

Most of all, I love my trainer because she comes to my farm to work with us here in our own environment and has given us the ability to truly enjoy our horses on a reasonable budget.

I love my trainer because her goal is always to have the rider be able to do on their own without her eventually and not to keep the horse perpetually in training!

I love my trainer because he is a horseman who always puts the horses' welfare (mental and physical) FIRST and because riding with him is always educational and almost always fun.

I love my trainer because she takes my progress seriously even though I'm a haul-in client that will never make her rich. I love her because she helped me take a chance on my current gelding when he looked like crap when I bought him. I love her because she's helped me fit him up and turn him into a perfectly acceptable low level reiner. I love her because while he's laid up with a tendon strain she's made it possible for me to use a lesson horse at the last 2 shows and is putting in the time to get me ready for the first one in 2 weeks.

I love her because even when she was yelling at me today "not to corner like a barrel racer", "that's not even close to straight", "where were you looking?!?" (all things I should know), she was also telling me "that was your best stop ever on him", "if you turn him like that at the show you're going to kick ass", and "you're doing great for your 3rd ride on him". I welcome and enjoy her colorful coaching, and I always leave glad that I rode even if it didn't go all that well. She's turning me into the rider I always wanted to be (and once foolishly thought I was).

I love my trainer because he is I and even here I'm at the training level.

I love my trainer because she inspires me to think deeply, ride deeply, and live deeply. If there is something I don't quite understand, she will happily jump on my horse, and show me it can be done, and how to do it using quiet cues and positive reinforcements. She uses patience and discipline in everything she does, and has a wonderful reputation. She inspires her students to read on-line articles related to training topics. She is thoughtful and kind, and horses love, respect, and respond to her as well.

I love that before/after every lesson, she looks at my horse with a critical eye and comments as needed on his feet, saddle fit, weight, grooming, etc. She also regularly inquires about his turnout, diet, herd dynamics, to get an overall picture of his health.

This is the first time I have had a trainer pay attention to these things unless they were way off, and I like being held accountable for all of these details.

I love my trainer because she is patient, kind and firm. Because she doesn't act surprised or laugh when you tell her that you don't know the things you really should know, just breaks it down for you. I love that she is so excited about my mare and looks forward to our fun exercises and gymnastics every week (most other riders are beginners, all the advanced went off to college). I love that even though I am a haul-in, she treats me with the same respect as her boarders. I love that she is willing to diverge from the "plan" if I or the horse need it. I could go on and on...

I love my trainer because she has more faith in me than I do in myself. She challenges me but never over faces me. Lessons are hard, but fun and always inspiring.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy