The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Sore No More ingredients?

I was wondering if anyone knows what's in the Sore no More liniment. I read on their website that it has some arnica, witch hazel and comfrey.
    Not that I want to duplicate it but, since I live in Argentina, I can't find anyone who imports it here. I wanted to see if I can find an equivalent match (similar at least) of the ingredients in some product here. I bought two full sets of Back on Track wraps last year and I've read that they work even better if combined with Sore No More.
    I could try to ship some for myself but I can't bring in 20 gallons on a plane (well, I can, but I think it is a major hassle and not very cost effective) since I would like to use it at least three times a week on two horses. I wish they had a super duper concentrated formula so I could bring enough of their magic in a small bottle to make loads of it here...
    TIA.
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

I know you can buy arnica gel at some pharmacies (in the homeopathic section), as well as witch hazel!
    Maybe see if your local pharmacy can get it in for you.
    a horseless canuck...

If I remember correctly it is lobelia, lavender, rosemary, arnica, and witch hazel.

Just use rubbing alcohol or witch hazel. It's the same thing and cheaper

You might try contacting the company & explaining your dilemma - though they will not share their propriety blend, they may be able to direct you to an alternate blend

Publically listed ingredients:
    proprietary blend of Witch Hazel, Arnica, Rosemary, Lobelia, and Lavender
    (there may be others that are not listed )

The particular ingredients are chosen for specific medicinal properties (some claimed, some scientifically proven) & are likely combined in specific proportions to contribute synergy of action.

Rubbing alcohol should be used with caution as it is drying & reactive to sensitive skin & may have neurologic effects (why it's no longer used as a "bath" for fever patients) - it may contain a significant amount of unnamed compounds, is of variable degrees of purity depending on the country of sale/orgin, may be isopropanol or ethanol based, contains "denaturants" which are of variable toxicity etc.
    (if you intend to use it regularly, contact the manufacturer & request a MSDS etc)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Rubbing alcohol should be used with caution as it is drying & reactive to sensitive skin & may have neurologic effects (why it's no longer used as a "bath" for fever patients) - it may contain a significant amount of unnamed compounds, is of variable degrees of purity depending on the country of sale/orgin, may be isopropanol or ethanol based, contains "denaturants" which are of variable toxicity etc.
    (if you intend to use it regularly, contact the manufacturer & request a MSDS etc)
    I use rubbing alcohol as a "green spot" remover on a grey horse. Based on what you just wrote I would be happy to switch but do you have any suggestions for a replacement? I mean for something to spray on and wipe off with a towel; not a bath situation.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I use rubbing alcohol as a "green spot" remover on a grey horse. Based on what you just wrote I would be happy to switch but do you have any suggestions for a replacement? I mean for something to spray on and wipe off with a towel; not a bath situation.
    Ethanol with a liquor seal? Or high-end vodka? IIRC, people use Witch Hazel, tho that contains some sort of alcohol (ethanol, I think).

But I really don't think that spraying it on the hair of the horse and wiping it off is going to cause disaster. YMMV.

Rubbing alcohol MSDS | Witch Hazel MSDS | MSDS for water
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I really like the rubbing alcohol method. I've never had a horse have a bad reaction to it. It's not like you're dousing his entire body with it. Another trick I've found is to mix a small amount of bluing shampoo with water in a spray bottle. I think the Golden Nugget stuff works way better than Quick Silver. I've found the key to spot removing is to spray it on, then massage it in with your finger tips. Make sure your hands are clean though! (I know clean hands at the barn?? Whaaaa???) Then scrub it with a towel, making sure your towel is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and dry! Replace it as often as needed. If you use the shampoo/water mix and you do have one with an extra sensitive coat, you could always take another clean, this time wet, towel to get rid of any soap residue that might remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

raquel.schilf Guest

Default SNM to Argentina

Hello,
    Unfortunately, Arenus cannot ship Sore No More products to Argentina at this time. However, Big Dee’s (one of our larger dealers) IS able to ship there for us. If you send your product request to Dagmar at DAGMAR@BIGDWEB.COM or Phone: 330 626.5000 I’m sure they will be able to fulfill your order. Thank you very much for your support of Sore No-More!

Listerine!!

I figure if they think you should swish it around in your mouth it should be fairly safe!

Of course you can clean the floor and the toilet with it.

Go Figure.