The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mercer County Fair webcast

A fun old-time county fair horse show in Kentucky being webcast by Richfield video. Show starts 7 pm Friday and Sat. night.

http://www.richfieldvideo.com/webcasting.html

Kind-of a fun diversion.

Oh! How cool, or actually not, it's pretty darn hot today. I just texted my trainer to see if we are in any classes today so I can watch. I wish I were there - they make the best steak sandwiches at the bbq and have a charity dessert table with luscious homemade goodies. Thanks so much!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I've been watching all week. GREAT show!!! I really admire the variety of classes they've been offering - Antique Carriage Driving, Natural Country Pleasure, and AFAIK the first hunter class on the KY fairs circuit (though I could be wrong about that).

And boy that ring gets SCARY after dark - with the midway right next to it. Awesome. Most of the horses seem to be keeping it together really well, which I don't think would happen on, say, Planet DQ. I'd love to take my greenie next year just to school him around!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Oh yes, you MUST watch after dark to get the 'full effect' of the midway lit-up on the backside. For some of us, THIS is the kind of horse show we grew up with... .

Quote Originally Posted by cb06 View Post
    Oh yes, you MUST watch after dark to get the 'full effect' of the midway lit-up on the backside. For some of us, this is the kind of horse we grew up with... .
    I miss the county fairs shows - they're all gone in GA now except for the GA National Fair which is actually a little too big for me personally.

But I have fond memories of PHA shows in Mass. during the Brockton Fair, w/ racehorses running races on the track which was only separated from the hunt course by a chain link fence and a few feeble citified bushes - THAT was always fun on an OTTB! And my first EVER horse show was the Barnstable County Fair on Cape Cod, where I was soundly thrashed in my walk-trot class... by one Caroline Kennedy.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Here - this is a screengrab I did last night for my FB friends, showing the midway RIGHT next to the ring. The merry-go-round is to the left of the Pizzeria!

Next time you catch some COTHer whining about a Jumbo-tron, show 'em this!

Franklin County Fair ran last week and they had one of those "drop them from a great height" rides. Now, the rides were pretty far away but some of those kids can really let loose with a blood curdling scream and I caught myself looking more than once. Never troubled the horses, but they sure make photos look funny in the background.
    Incredible Invisible

Yeah, you can hear some screaming from the rides at this show periodically too. I'm semi-serious about taking Q next year - even found some carnival noises online for him to go sleepy-byes with over the winter!

http://www.avisphoto.com/proofs/2011.../11FF0185.html
    (I don't know this horse and driver) This photo shows the midway perfectly.

One of the pics taken of my DD in her Academy class had the carnival's trailers and the picnic table cluttering up the background. But I guess photoshop can fix anything!
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jul. 30, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Incredible Invisible

Those of you familiar w/ the KY Fairs circuit - do any of the others have ASB hunters or just Harrodsburg? I could do with a vaycay in KY next year...

I just got home from there! Harrodsburg is my FAVORITE show ring; my little mare loves it, too. The carnival rides on the far end of the ring? Doesn't phase her a bit. I'm pretty sure sure I could trot her down the middle of the midway and she wouldn't bat an eye- she's just put those ears forward, wave those legs and go on!

The classes were light the last couple of days, with a few of them being cancelled- the heat/humidity is horrible. It sucked for me tonight 'cuz I was hoping not to have to ride until 10pm or so when it was a little cooler, but the show ran quicker than usual.

WA- most of the "important" county fairs don't have ASB hunter classes, though several of the smaller ones do. My friends that have a really nice ASB hunter show most often in Ohio and Indiana- but they're also chasing CH points, so they try to do a lot of the rated shows.

Thanks Shakey - I knew most of the big name ones didn't have them but I had it in my head that NONE of them did! If I'd known Harrodsburg had 'em I would have coerced the entire NW GA ASB Hunter Clique to come ON! Maybe next year.

Were you showing? Which division?

Adult CP. Had a great ride, but you know- you win some, you lose some. If you're looking at photos- little bitty chestnut mare, 3 whites. fat kid, blue suit, blond hair.

The old bullring with its center gazebo that burned in 1981... that was one hard place to show in.. the crowd was on top of the horses

Regarding the Kentucky county fair shows....if you ever want to develop a bomb proof horse just show it there for a few years...then nothing will ever bother it

OMG...did anyone see the Ladies Racking/Pacing class?! What a hoot! Some of them were wearing different colored boa's....what fun!

I did! That was a fun class to watch as was the championship.